WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
RepackboxLoad DataInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: Scope For A 77/22

Boolit Master

Scope For A 77/22

I have a Ruger 77/22 that had a Burris 2x7 variable scope on it. As the scope was way too much for the purpose, I've found better uses for it.

I'm in the market for a quality scope that will sit in the standard Ruger rings without getting dinged working the bolt. Suggestions please?

Boolit Mold
    I have a Leupold RF scope on a 77 22 mag that works fine, but in all honesty for most field shooting an older steel tubed Weaver K4 would serve about as well and at a lot less cost. I guess it depends on what you use it for, if targets you might wish more power and if its late in the day or early light shooting then perhaps the more expensive scopes with better clarity may make their cost justifiable for you. If its small game and the occasional varmint and the light is reasonable then the K4 will be fine. I have a couple of Millet 3.5x10 'Gold Bucks' or something close to that name that were not cost prohibitive and that I like for RF use shooting targets, but not everyone shares a good opinion of them. The ones I have are just fine, so it may be a luck of the draw thing, I don't know. I have not had it on the model 77 so can't speak to the bolt clearance issue.

Also, the Nikon Buckmaster scopes have received a lot of good press in the recent past, so you might wish to check them out.

Boolit Master
    I have a Ruger 77/22 Magnum, heavy gray stainless target barrel, laminated stock. It has worn a number of scopes since I got it. Best combination so far is a Leupold Vari-X 3X9 Compact EFR. I wanted the EFR since it is a rimfire and you can adjust the range for parallax. Most centerfire rifle scopes come with the parallax set at 100 or so yards which is not optimum for most rimfire shooting. Downside is that it was an expensive scope and I had to get extended rings to mount it properly.

Boolit Master
    I had a Burris 4X compact on mine for years,worked great and kept a nice compact rifle compact. Last year a Ruger #1 in 7X57 kept begging for the scope and finely won, I put a Weaver V-3 on the 77-22 and it is a nice happy compact camper again ( my son would have put some scope as big as the rifle on it ) both above scopes cleared everything in the supplied Ruger rings.

Boolit Grand Master
    Heresy!

If all those fellas on the rimfire boards elsewhere are to be believed, a 6-24X is barely adequate for a .22 long rifle, and a .17 HMR needs 36X. Funny thing was, some of these guys I shoot with have their scopes cranked up to 12X - 16X or more somehow believing this would flatten trajectory while hunting or on the target range.

A severe case of being able to see much further than you can shoot.

Good to know fellas here have some common sense when it comes to scope selection on .22's.

In Remebrance

1-3, 1-4, 2-7, straight 2.5X or 4X, or a 6x for target.

Boolit Buddy
    I just received Wednesday a Leupold 2-7x rimfire for my Savage/Anschutz 54 sporter. Roughly $200 from Bruno's. They make a 4x rimfire, too.

Boolit Buddy James C. Snodgrass's Avatar

Smile 77/22 scope

I bought one for my Dad sevearal years ago. We put a weaver 2-7 rimfire on it and a Power custom sear on it , it turned out to be a great rifle . They say 22mag isn't as accurate as 22lr but this thing shoots well under a inch at 100 yds all the time. The weaver scope is as clear as my elites or burris or leupolds.

Boolit Master
    In the past I've used a Burris Mini 2X7 on a 77/22 with fine results but now consider something of this price as wasteful. I've also used full-size Weaver 3x9 w/ AO and K4's with fine results. But these are, again, overkill unless you're going to compete seriously with the rifle. If you just want a simple plinking or small game scope I've had excellent results using an inexpensive Simmons 22 Mag in 3X9. I've been using one for about 7 or 8 yrs. and it works just fine. Lots of shooting for only about $50!