MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders JerkyWideners
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad DataReloading Everything
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Anyone heard from john @h-g firearms?

Boolit Bub
    As I stated in the other post I got my press Monday and the dies a month or so ago, he still owes me a core casting mold or my money back for it (which I can probably say goodbye to). I heard every excuse from flooding, heat, not having any money to send it, etc. I got postal inspectors involved, and the BBB. I suggest to stay away from him, I really thought I was in trouble when his website went down a few weeks ago, but I guess he got enough money to get it re-hosted.

Rod

Boolit Mold
    Ok I have finally received first package I got my 223 dies and to be honest they look like <junk> I am still waiting for my press that I will send him a email. I will post some pictures later on so u guys can see what am I talking about. I would stay away from him and his product. Rodok if u can send me few pic of ur dies I want to see if urs look any different than mine my email is dsmpower916@yahoo.com
    Last edited by No_1; 05-23-2014 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Language

I know it's probably no big consolation to you guys waiting on your orders, but these alerts that you've posted are worth their weight in gold. Speaking only for myself, if there is even a hint of unprofessionalism with a mfgr, I will never order from them even if they do make it right.

Boolit Bub
    That is why I am posting this stuff to keep others from making the same mistake, I know it sucks for us, but I don't want other people to get screwed by a bad company. I could of dealt a lot better with him if he would be honest and say I'm behind, than come up with excuse after excuse for months. I ordered from him for his turn around time, I could of got corbins just about as fast and with no hassle, you get what you pay for. When I purchased from him there was no information on him at the time except he made a good product, but I think quality of his product has slid as well as all the BS you have to put up with.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Are there any swage die makers that deliver as promised within a reasonable amount of time ?
    Shoot'em If You Got'em...

Boolit Bub
    My problem with it is this. He emails me the week of Thanksgiving saying go ahead and send the rest of your money, I'll get it out next week (I already paid in full at that time), I wait 2 weeks and nothing, then I email him and he says January 6th, everytime I email him he has had a flood, been on vacation, no electric, no money to send it, too busy answering emails. I had no problem on the wait, just the excuses, if he would of honestly told me what was going on I wouldn't have a problem. I waited a month from when the dies were finished until he had enough money to send them, the only time I got worried was when his website went down for non-payment. Never once did I receive a email saying I am so far behind its going to take me a little longer than expected, his replies were always I'm almost done it will be out next week, then I would wait 3 weeks and email him again, and give me some excuse.

I can believe they are swamped. In a sense, I am delighted that swaging is catching on. Because if an obscure corner of ammo loading like swaging is, then casting and reloading must be getting REALLY popular. Now if all these new gun enthusiasts would kindly vote for pro-gun candidates I'd be chuffed to bits. Anyhoo...

If I haven't put money down, I don't mind the wait. I have enough dies to keep me busy. I have RCECO 22LR/224 kit. Waiting on a 3-die set to make 310-4S for the AK round. He's also making me a point form die for the Tokarev. I'm on at least 3 of Mihec's mold group buy waiting ists, but I have four of his molds already to stay busy with. No money up front, no problem. Waiting on a BT Sniper 500 die set which will use 45acp brass. I hav e some money up front, but his reputation seems good enough to also not worry about it.

I'm big into the NFA ownership process (MG/silencers) so I'm already used to waiting. I have paperwork in since February for an old-school Coastal MAC can. I'll probably see it NEXT February. I believe the secret is to be on so many waiting lists, that over time, there's a steady stream of emails saying "your custom butt-scratching dies are ready..." to take one's mind off of the newly-submitted purchase requests..

Quote Originally Posted by Bonz View Post
    Are there any swage die makers that deliver as promised within a reasonable amount of time ?
    Last edited by tiger762; 05-26-2014 at 11:16 AM. Reason: misspelled word

I have to say, this is one of the most frustrating things I've ever looked into. The ridiculous cost of the dies, long waits, and what appear to be unscrupulous people making dies is a real turn off. This guy is totally someone I wouldn't trust, and everyone else I contacted is way backed up. Now I see why the local guy charges $1,500 for a set (because he can). I also see why some members are making their own dies, with all the problems trying to buy them. Good luck to all trying to get some swaging dies for a reasonable price and wait time, cause you'll need it.

Frosted Boolits

I am patient. Quality dies take time to make. Sounds like this John fellow is a real gem.
    My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iscoyotehunter

An armed society is a polite society.

the BB knows

Vendor Sponsor

"Reasonable price" boy that could be a whole thread right there.

Today's tool and die shops charge $80-$100 an hour. With everything provided in a $1500 22 cal package you can imagine what might happen if you went down to a local machine shop and see what they would charge. Suddenly the prices that the few of us offer these dies for don't seem that much. I can guarantee you guys it takes me a lot longer then 15-20 hours of labor to complete one 22 cal package.

I felt the same way when I wanted to get my first set of swage dies and looked into the prices, so I decided to attempt to make my own. It was very challenging (to put it mildly, more like very frustrating and tried my patience many times) and opened my eyes to the extent of labor involved, suddenly those prices didn't look that high any longer

BT
    Last edited by BT Sniper; 05-26-2014 at 08:46 PM.
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Frosted Boolits

I see the topic of "price" of swaging dies come up often. These are NOT reloading dies. These dies are WAY more labor intensive and require much more precision. At the current prices that the die makers are charging, I would consider it a good deal. Take a $20 set of Lee dies to your local machine shop and have them duplicate them. It won't be $20.
    My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iscoyotehunter

An armed society is a polite society.

the BB knows

In Remembrance

The bottom line is:

Don't go for the cheapest price. And, don't jump on the bandwagon for some newly arrived on the scene person who wants to take advantage of the current fascination with swaging.

Spend your hard earned money on some person or company who will:
    1) Give you what you expected.
    2) Deliver better quality than you had hoped for.
    3) Is there, well after the sale and delivery, to provide support and replacement parts should they ever be needed.
    4) Has a good reputation and is well known in the community.

I have to tell you...... that's a small handful of providers. Everyone else is not worth your time or money.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeInFlorida View Post
    I have to tell you...... that's a small handful of providers.
    That's the problem. Just not enough skilled people making these swaging dies. After reading the threads on these swaging dies for months, I finally decided to jump in a place an order for several dies because it seemed that my timing was right. 11 months ago when I placed my order, there were a few new die makers advertising comparable products in a short timeframe. I decided to place my order with the person that had been making and selling dies for a while and has a great reputation for doing so, instead of ordering with the 'newcomers'. My hope was that these 'newcomers' would funnel off some of the demand. Obviously they all fizzled out, as far as I know. Once again, the demand for these swaging dies falls on the shoulders of the talented few.
    Shoot'em If You Got'em...

Boolit Mold
    I ordered a press, paid in full, on 5/2013 and have yet to receive it despite being "finished and getting ready to ship".

I realize that things take time so when I'm given a 3 month lead time and after 4 I ask for an update and I'm told another month, I accept that. When I check again 2 months later and told "soon", I accept that too. After checking again in another 3 months and not getting any replies for another month, It tends to get "a tad" frustrating.

This went off and on for over a year. I even got a couple of pictures of the supposed item ready to be assembled and shipped. Three months after that I gave up and wished John an excruciatingly painful and tortuously long life and accepted the guy basically jacked me out of my hard earned money.

Well, ALMOST accepted. Now I'm posting negative comments on the 'Net...

...and after that last email I sent, he actually had the cajhones to give me yet another one of his B.S. excuses about why and that he'll ship it "soon". "Soon" apparently is approximately "over a year"...

This is not the way a first post should be but after a year of dealing with this guy, I felt others should know what it is they are dealing with. I guess I was a little late with the heads up from the looks of things though.

Boolit Buddy
    If I were you, I would contact police to take care of him.
    This case is no go.

There seems to be more and more victims coming forward who have been ripped off by this guy...maybe you all need to make a list of who's who and present it to his states attorney ...that should shake him up

This looks like it keeps getting worse and worse. One of the things that bothers me the most about all this is the demand by die makers of the substantial money up front. When you think about it, hundreds of dollars up front and after a year or 2 hoping you'll get your dies---wow. That's taking a big risk. What are you going to do if the guy you ordered from has some health issue or turns into this John guy. I remember reading some good things about him in a thread, boy that didn't turn out to be the case. Homey don't play that game, I work too hard for my money. If I can't get the whole setup for .224's within a reasonable time frame for around $700, I'll just keep buying 55gr Hornady bullets. Anything over that, just doesn't make sense. Good luck guys.

Vendor Sponsor

Just to be sure I don't get lumped into the same category as many of the so called die makers here that have had their share of challenges I feel I need to stand up here briefly and say a little something. When it comes to payments I have been very flexible to my customers needs, when customers purchase my die sets and pay with credit card noting is charged till I have dies ready to ship.

It is troubling to see the black eye that these latest attempts from so called die makers give those of us that have been successful in making, offering and fulfilling swage die orders.

There is very few short cuts in product or cost when it comes to investing in a set of swage dies. Corbin, RCE, Blackmon and myself (BTSniper) is always easy for me to advise and recommend to potential customers. Kaine, Edge and now it seems HG Firearms have all been a risky investment.

It is always a great time to get into making your own bullets but for heavens sake....... know what you are buying and who you are buying it from.

Good shooting and swage on!

Brian Thurner

BTSniper llc.
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Boolit Buddy
    Does anybody know if Die Sinking has been tried in making point forming dies, the technology has come a long way including finishes. It would have to be a big shop due to the cost of these machines. Just a thought, Sprink

I'd say it's mostly about mass production compared to small production. Reloading dies are precision made, they just mass produce them. The major manufacturers just don't see enough business to open up a line of swaging dies or they would have already. Probably never going to happen. If they did though the small guys would be in a world of hurt.
    Quote Originally Posted by IllinoisCoyoteHunter View Post
    I see the topic of "price" of swaging dies come up often. These are NOT reloading dies. These dies are WAY more labor intensive and require much more precision. At the current prices that the die makers are charging, I would consider it a good deal. Take a $20 set of Lee dies to your local machine shop and have them duplicate them. It won't be $20.
    Never in history has there been a situation so bad that the government couldn't make it worse.
    A foolish faith in authority is the enemy of the truth.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast