MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad DataLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: BPCR rifles, so many choices.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by hickstick_10 View Post
    Pedersoli warant their 45-70 sharps to ruger number 1 loads?
    No. Pedersoli only warranties loads in the black powder pressure range.

Boolit Grand Master

I have several diffrent BPCR rifles I am working with for the fun of it. The first was a pendersoli sharps Long range ( Cabella's model) in 45-70 with a 34" half octagon barrel. Its a very nice rifle shoots great and decent wood. Lines are a little fuzzy, no checkering, metal finish is acceptable and good. Next is a C Sharps Hepburn 45-90 34" tapered octagon barrel. Pewter forend tip fancy walnut stock Very nice rifle shoots great is a fine handling rifle. bluing is the deep mirror blue that you get lost in The case hardening is almost a rainbow of blues purples yellows and such, Lines are sharp and crisp, wood is a very nicely figured walnut. The third is a CPA Single Shot in 40-65 with 30" barrel that is due for delivery end of january. But I got my choice of barrel maker countour twist and length, wood grade type and finish, sights, butt plate style length of pull and wieght of finished rifle. This is the diffrence between the custom/semi custom makers and the others. You can get exactly what you want from them ( with in reason) or whats available off the shelf from the others. Sort of like the diffrence in cost between a tailor made suit and of the rack.

Boolit Master
    The reality is that they are all good guns. Good enough that most shooters don't have skills to shoot better than the rifle can. I've owned a Pedersoli, and currently own a bunch of CSA rifles, several Shiloh's, a couple of Browning/Winchester BPCR's, and a CPA. They are great rifles, but at one time or another I've been dissapointed by each manufacturer except for Shiloh. I have read of people having the occasional issue with a Shiloh too, so they are not completely immune. However if I wanted a rifle built to a particular set of specs and wanted it to come out right I'd choose Shiloh just because they have never let me down. The other option would b a custom gun built by a reputable single shot gun smith, but then you are talking serious money.

One thing to factor in is cost. I know a number of guys who would love to have a Shiloh, but it's just not in the cards financially, so they buy a second hand Pedersoli. I've been fortunate in business so I've been able to afford rifles that some cannot, but I'd never knock a guy for buying a Pedersoli. I've seen some of them shoot very well. Although personally I'd pick a used Browning or Winchester BPCR over a Pedersoli. I say this only because the used Browning I picked up a coule of years ago is very accurate. I've only recently started playing seriously with I and I'd say it is at least as accurate as my Shiloh LRE which is my most consistently accurate rifle. It's less good than my Shiloh LRE for offhand though.

Also, to set the record straight, CSA uses forged receivers.

The important thing with these rifles I to have fun with them and encourage new shooters to the sport.

Chris.

Boolit Buddy
    Seems to me that with modern metallurgy and quality companies that the issue of whether the receiver is investment cast or forged isn't even worth arguing about.

Boolit Master
    I think you are right Yellowhouse.

Chris.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    The important thing with these rifles I to have fun with them and encourage new shooters to the sport.
    Chris you hit it straight on right there. I'm always amazed when these discussion get littlediddle syndrome folks coming in jumping on the " Sharps snobs" about calling Pedersoli's junk etc. I've yet to see that happen. Used to be you could get 2 new pedersoli's for one Shiloh, but that's been a long time ago, and if you follow the link Johnboy posted to Cherries, when you start to order Pedersoli's ( and read what they say there are a number of those rifles that are special order only) the supposed price difference disappears, and in some examples the Pedersoli is actually higher than a Big Timber built gun.
    Always and ever do some real price comparisons,, and think a little bit, if that used imported gun is bringing half or less than a USA built gun, ask yourself why is that happening. And then there's always that little voice that asks, why is the guy selling the gun?
    Buy what you can afford, but get a little serious about the actual cost and difference in overall quality.Plus unless you are in a hurry have to have it today, when you look at the process of buying a Shiloh it's actually easier, as you have sometime to save up the money before the rifle is completed .
    But this stuff has gotten way off the subject of the op's original question about a good set up for a left hander, and I'll still say one of the 85 highwalls would be my pick for ease of use from the offside, and either a CSA or Miroku built gun the best way to go as both use high quality barrels.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master
    Yeah we have drifted away from the original poster's questions a bit .

I'm a lefty and I'm pretty much happy with any of the single shots. I've had to make compromises on the way. For instance my Shiloh LRE was bought used and it has a cheek rest for a right handed shooter, but it still works for me. The more I play with my .45-70 BPCR the more impressed I am. If it was a pound heavier and had set triggers it would be perfect. It really likes the Saeco bullets. In my last outing I put 6 out of 10 into 1.2" at 200 meters. If I could only get a handle on my inconsistency and get rid of the flyers. It seems to have decent potential for bore diameter paper patch bullets, although I think it wants thicker brass.

Chris.

Those miroku bpcr's are amazing rifles. I just wonder if the round barrel "sporting" model they made a run of last year shoot as well.
    Wonder if you could get the stuff to do the Shaver trigger job on that rifle across the border. The trigger on my wife's rifle is just right and some of the accuracy that rifle has turned it at 1000 is simply amazing. But so far the thing really revolts when it's fed patched.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunlaker View Post
    Yeah we have drifted away from the original poster's questions a bit .

I'm a lefty and I'm pretty much happy with any of the single shots. I've had to make compromises on the way. For instance my Shiloh LRE was bought used and it has a cheek rest for a right handed shooter, but it still works for me. The more I play with my .45-70 BPCR the more impressed I am. If it was a pound heavier and had set triggers it would be perfect. It really likes the Saeco bullets. In my last outing I put 6 out of 10 into 1.2" at 200 meters. If I could only get a handle on my inconsistency and get rid of the flyers. It seems to have decent potential for bore diameter paper patch bullets, although I think it wants thicker brass.

Chris.
    So how about the sights being marked on the left side? Most of these I see have sights that look like they are set up for right handed only and Texas Mac indicated that he had left handed sights which is the first reference I have seen to left handed. How much are the scales used, and it seems like it would be a pain to roll the rifle over to see the graduations on the scale if they were used. Or would it be against the rules to use calipers to measure in competition, but that doesn't seem to fit in with the spirit of BPCR competition.

Boolit Master
    Yeah, the sight graduations on the left side isn't great, but all of my sights are that way. The main thing I don't like about the sights on the Brownings is that windage is the opposite direction as on my other sights . Also I'm not a huge fan of the three interchangeable discs, I like the Hadley system more. But truth be told it's not a big problem I think.

The only real problem I've run into with being a lefty is that I have one rifle with a 23" MVA scope and I ordered the standard mounts. I should have ordered the schuetzen mounts as they are better for lefties. The elevation scale on the regular mounts is very hard to read as a lefty.

One thing that the Browning has taught me is how important good trigger control is. I was so used to shooting with set triggers that I developed some bad habits. I still have a long way to go, but the rifle is definitely helping my shooting. Don I worry about sending parts across the border and never seeing them again . If I was to do it again I'd call Texas Mac and buy a rifle with the Shaver trigger job already done. It's easier to do the paperwork to import a new rifle than sending parts back and forth I think!

Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by DangerousDrummer View Post
    So how about the sights being marked on the left side? Most of these I see have sights that look like they are set up for right handed only and Texas Mac indicated that he had left handed sights which is the first reference I have seen to left handed. How much are the scales used, and it seems like it would be a pain to roll the rifle over to see the graduations on the scale if they were used. Or would it be against the rules to use calipers to measure in competition, but that doesn't seem to fit in with the spirit of BPCR competition.
    If you get one of the Red River soule sights, they are marked on both sides.

Chris I understand about the sending the parts over the border, it's worry enough just sending stuff back and forth here within the borders.

Boolit Mold
    I started with a Rem. Rolling Block in 45 70. I now shoot a Uberti Hi Wall in 40 65, the single stock trigger breaks at 12 oz. I can not add to the discussion of the Sharps, except to say they are beautifully crafted. I do have a Red River rear sight from Buffalo Arms and consider it superior in design to the MVA, marked on both sides, 41 minutes of wind each direction, finer elevation adjustments, heavier construction, very positive vertical detent, and cheaper!

Boolit Buddy
    Another vote for the Red River sights. I run them on all of my rifles.

The neat thing about that Red River "borchardt" sight, is you can adjust windage and elevation without really having to break position, most of the other sights I'm experienced with you can adjust windage , but even adjusting the elevation, more than a "bump" you almost have to roll the rifle towards its side and look at the marks. That new eyecup is great for aging eyes as well, but the drawback on it is on the Winchesters you have to take the eyecup off to lay the sight flat on the stock for full cleaning of the barrel.

Kermit Hoke's sights are engraved on both sides, as well. And I'm pretty sure that MVA will engrave the scale on the right side for left handers on request.

Boolit Master

For my first BPCR rifle I went for one of the Winchester/Browning Hi Walls made in Japan. A totally beautiful rifle with outstanding wood and excellent wood to metal finish. I equipped it with a set of Kelly Soule sights that set me back almost a grand in cash. I had a friend of mine do the trigger job involving a 7MM screw and the removal of the stock etc and this rifle has a beautiful trigger pull of way less than a pound.

The only regret I have is the choice of caliber. I chose a 50-90 Sharps. This is one large round. It kicks like a mule.....every time. If I can last to fire 20 rounds during a range session I am fortunate. I gird myself with the heaviest recoil pad I can find and I blaze away.

Since then I bought an H&R in 38-55 and I liked it a lot. Way less recoil. Then I got my hands on a Marlin Cowboy Model in 38-55 and that was even better.
    I am thinking of disposing of that BPCR Sharps as I hardly ever shoot it anymore.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Bub
    I am narrowing my choice down to a CPA long range (which is a heavier version of the description below).

Approved for Black Powder Cartridge Rifle (BPCR) competition by the NRA, the silhouette rifle has either a sporting style stock with low comb (shown here) or the Model 52 style with more drop, and is available in either right or left hand style. Wood used for the stock is lightly figured walnut finished with a closed pore finish, or unfinished but fitted. The bottom of the pistol grip has the classic "S" shape on the bottom of the pistol grip. The black rubber buttplate is shotgun style to minimize recoil, and has the Stevens logo. Checkered steel buttplates and Pachmayr recoil pads are available. The action normally has a ball and spur (without wood insert) lever and double set triggers.

The long range rifle is similar to the silhouette rifle, but can have a heavier barrel and popular calibers include .45-70, .45-90, .45-100 and .45-110.

I will go with a 45-90 since our club has a 1000 yd range. While the original Stevens action is not as strong as a highwall, CPA uses thicker steel to make their action stronger than the original. I especially like the fact that the barrel can be swapped for a different caliber by removing one screw. I don't know if this could affect accuracy or not.

Does anyone use a CPA? If so, how is the accuracy?

Boolit Grand Master

I have a shilloette model being built right now in 40-65 win, its due end of january. Talk to them expresss your needs wants what youll be doing and they will be more than helpfull. We e-mailed back and forth several times getting info back and forth. When I called to ordeer it went smoothly and easily. I opted for fancier wood and nieder buttplate. 30' tapered octagon barrel, drilled and tapped for malcomn scope at 17" centers. From what I heard read they are solid accurate rifles with beautifull fit and finish.

Boolit Bub
    Dangerous Drummer, I've got a CPA with 4bbls,22rf,45-100,38-55,40-65.Excellent accuracy with all,at least as well as I can use it. IIRC Brad Rice uses a CPA and has won quite a few BPCR matches with one.FWIW---Mike.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast