Titan ReloadingWidenersSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: BPCR rifles, so many choices.

Boolit Master
    The price difference between the Pedersoli and the Shiloh or any other rifle should be of miniscule consideration. Shiloh lists for $1950.00 and Pedersoli lists for $1250.00. Get the one you want, Sharps, Rolling Block or High Wall. Buying a gun you don't want because of price will never satisfy you. If you can't afford it yet, save and wait until you can. After any buffalo rifle is purchased, you have to buy sights which are a very real expense. Be sure to be satisfied with the one you choose. Personally I had to get the Shiloh because I wanted certain features which were not available as custom with the Pedersoli.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Jack Hammer View Post
    The price difference between the Pedersoli and the Shiloh or any other rifle should be of miniscule consideration. Shiloh lists for $1950.00 and Pedersoli lists for $1250.00. Get the one you want, Sharps, Rolling Block or High Wall. Buying a gun you don't want because of price will never satisfy you. If you can't afford it yet, save and wait until you can. After any buffalo rifle is purchased, you have to buy sights which are a very real expense. Be sure to be satisfied with the one you choose. Personally I had to get the Shiloh because I wanted certain features which were not available as custom with the Pedersoli.
    I checked what my Pedersoli Long Range which ran me about $1600 vs a Shiloh model as close to mine as I could get, and it ran $3200. The figures you are quoting are for the very basic model by both producers.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by texasmac View Post
    You can't go wrong with a Browning or one of the more recent Winchester BPCRs (same as the Browning), but I sell them and have written a book on them so I'm biased.

BTW, I have a like new left-hand Steve Baldwin Long Range rear soule sight that I'll make someone a good price on. And check out the Browning and Winchester I have on Gunbroker under my "Itchingtodeal" handle. Since the Winchester does not come with sights, the Baldwin sight could be added for a very nice left-hand rifle. I also have a nice used Browning front sight I could install on the Winchester.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=381194228

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=381198279

Wayne
    I have been drooling over your Browning but if I "pull the trigger" on that purchase right before Christmas, the wife is liable to "pull the trigger" on a different gun.

I think what I have to do is get her the new camper trailer she is drooling over, then I could convince her that Raton would be a nice trip, but I need to start practicing soon. Might work?

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Tell her Raton is a wonderful vacation spot. And by all means get her a nice travel trailer, the rv park is fantastic, plus the food they serve at the restaurant is reasonably priced and portioned well enough that two can really eat on serving...
    With that said go to gunbroker and search 40-65, there's one of the round barreled 85's in 40-65 there at a very reasonable price, and brand new still in the box.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master
    You know, I'm working on the same thing. My wife has decided that she wants a small travel trailer, 1960's retro style. I told her that fits in fine with my plans. I hope to get one this coming year. All of the shoots out here require overnight trips. Much better than a tent.

With respect to those Brownings, they are great little rifles. If you can pick up a good used one, jump on it. I was shooting one of mine this morning and it's quite accurate.

Chris.

Boolit Master
    '74 Sharps,
    My price quotes were for the basic models, by the time I got my Sharps home it was almost $4000.00 but I got custom order features unavailable through Pedersoli. Another buyer could spend a lot less for a Sharps than I did, get a basic model, add sights and have a good shooter, yet a Pedersoli buyer who spends less still has the cost of the sights so he's going to spend more than the list price before ringing gongs and making tight groups at long range.

When buying a gun, I believe the buyer should get what they want even it this means saving for a longer time and postponing the purchase. The long wait for the Sharps gave me plenty of time to build up the gun money account.

The Pedersoli gets good reviews from those who shoot them. My biggest issues are that I need the one inch extra length of pull, wanted a pistol grip and checkering so I went with the Sharps because I never saw a Pedersoli with these available. Then I got the personal advise and service through Shiloh that I as a first time buyer really needed about sights, bedding, barrel choice and stock design.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    My biggest issues are that I need the one inch extra length of pull, wanted a pistol grip and checkering so I went with the Sharps because I never saw a Pedersoli with these available.
    Silver Jack, guess you haven't really looked hard enough.
    I've had the Competition model for 3 years - was 45-70 and is now a 45-90. Nice part about the rifle is the stock comb puts your eyes straight down the top of the barrel - plus the French Gray bluing
    http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/sche...mpetition.html

They go for $1900+ but I bought mine from Cabelas for $1020

Also go to Cherry's website - plenty of other models with what your looking for ... http://www.cherrys.com/ped_cart.htm
    Last edited by John Boy; 12-13-2013 at 11:36 AM.
    Regards
    John

Pressed checkering vs handcut....
    Same pattern on every rifle coming out of the stamping machine vs pattern to suit the future owner...

Boolit Master
    John Boy, nice rifle, good choice. That one has a high comb stock. The first thing Lucinda at Shiloh had be do was shoulder two rifles and I choose the model which did not have the high comb stock, the Montana Roughrider. I just personally favor the non high comb stock. My Ruger M77 and Winchester pre-'64 M70's also have the low comb stock. Just a personal preference. This Shiloh is the first custom rifle I've ever owned and it is really nice.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Pressed checkering vs handcut....
    Don, mine are laser cut and match grade bore at half the price
    Regards
    John

John you ever put that rifle up side by side with a factory checkered Shiloh, you'll see instantly the price difference.

Boolit Master
    I have looked at many of both and the difference in the workmanship is not enough to offset the cost .
    Don't try to kid me about workmanship I spent a career dealing with expensive machined components that make a Shiloh look like chump change in both cost and workmanship. Yeah there is a little difference in the checkering but I am not a big fan of checkering. Mostly the Shiloh fanboys have never owned or shot a Pedersoli.

Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    John you ever put that rifle up side by side with a factory checkered Shiloh, you'll see instantly the price difference.
    EDG

EDG you man have to be either dumber than a post, or nothing but a freakin trouble maker. If you really did know your head from that hole between your butt crack, you'ld know a huge percentage of the bpcr shooters that have been in the sport for any length of time started with a Pedersoli, or other Italian import. Some of us still have the first rifle as it was built, some have rebarreled, and some sold the thing to finance their Shiloh or C Sharps.
    I'm not sure exactly what your problem is with Shiloh and C Sharps, but quite frankly bubba it's getting to be a bit of a bore.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    I have looked at many of both and the difference in the workmanship is not enough to offset the cost .
    Don't try to kid me about workmanship I spent a career dealing with expensive machined components that make a Shiloh look like chump change in both cost and workmanship. Yeah there is a little difference in the checkering but I am not a big fan of checkering. Mostly the Shiloh fanboys have never owned or shot a Pedersoli.
    EDG--I have owned several Pedersolis. I still own three. I also own several Shilohs, and have a lot more than three of them. I have not bought a Pedersoli since I got my first Shiloh. It is a fact that you frequently see people selling Pedersolis so that they can buy a Shiloh. It is also a fact that you never see someone selling a Shiloh so that they can buy a Pedersoli.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpsguy View Post
    EDG--I have owned several Pedersolis. I still own three. I also own several Shilohs, and have a lot more than three of them. I have not bought a Pedersoli since I got my first Shiloh. It is a fact that you frequently see people selling Pedersolis so that they can buy a Shiloh. It is also a fact that you never see someone selling a Shiloh so that they can buy a Pedersoli.
    That latter is the most succinct summation I've seen in a while. Dead on!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post

Well to be objective both Pedersoli and the American's ( C'Sharps & Shiloh) all make nice rifles. The Pedersoli takes a lot of grief from the Sharps's snobs but its the only one with a forged receiver and has very good barrel that will shoot better then most people behind it. The American Sharps can be outfitted with nicer wood if you are into looks.

I will give the edge of fitting to Shiloh but Pedersoli makes an excellent rifle and anyone that suggest otherwise is full of ****.
    Own both, like both.
    NRA certified pistol instructor & RSO.

The fact is, Shilohs have a better fit than Pedersoli's. Whether that quality improvement is worth the extra cost, is up to you. Many shooters will never know the difference, others will. Maybe that difference is all in their heads, and maybe it is not. I used to sell lots of Optics in my Dad's sporting goods store, many customers claimed they could not see the different between the $300 dollar pair of binoculars, and the $1,000 pair. If you don't see the difference, you will be wasting your money, but if you do see the difference, you know why the one pair costs more that the other.
    Direct descendent of stone age Eurasians.

Pedersoli warant their 45-70 sharps to ruger number 1 loads?

Boolit Master
    I toured the Shiloh factory, they said they made rifles just the same way as the original Sharps were made in the 1870's. There are a lot of ways to make these rifles less expensive but Shiloh chooses to make them the way the originals were made. The finished product is priced accordingly. The Shiloh factory is nice but it is humble, in a little town in Montana. The owners took their time with me and were very personable and friendly, and knowledgeable.

I'm looking at purchasing a Colt SAA, I already own more than a half dozen of them. This one I want is almost $2,000.00. I own Uberti's, Rugers, but I am looking at purchasing this Colt. If I do, and announce it on this website, you are free to post something about how much less an Italian copy costs and how well it shoots. But my choice will not waiver.

I believe guns should be purchased by American citizens who are not convicted felons and these guns should be shot, a lot. All of them. Glad those who chose a brand are happy and proud of your choice, I love talking to you about the various brands.

I also agree with Clint Smith that golf courses should be plowed under and that land converted to rifle ranges.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by hickstick_10 View Post
    Pedersoli warant their 45-70 sharps to ruger number 1 loads?
    Shooting smokeless powder in a replica Sharps of any manufacture is like wearing brown shoes with a black tuxedo.............

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast