WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: This Year's CB Harvest

This Year's CB Harvest

Harvesting deer with your own cast boolits and your own handloads never gets old. Having taken deer with the 429244 in my Ruger SBH and the RCBS 35-200 in my 357 Herrett, I had only taken a hog with the NOE 311-165 RF(RD) in a 30-30 Handi-Rifle when hunting with x101Airbourne in Texas. One shot @ 65 yds, DRT, but that's another story! This year I wanted to take a deer with the NOE 311-165 Ranch Dog in the 30-06 for something different. Shot taken @ 65-70 yds; broadside; high double lung; complete pass through; the doe ran only 50 yds out into one of my open hay fields; I was able to drive the 4 wheeler right up to her. I like that more and more as I get older. The picture is not great since it was getting dark fast and I hate gutting in the dark if I can avoid it.
    Again, I was impressed with the performance of the Ranch Dog boolit. Second picture is of the four 311-165s that went to the woods and the three that came back loaded.
    Next year I want to develop an accurate 30 cal. paper patched load for one of the rifles......so many projects and so little time!

dmitch

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1353.JPG 
Views:	325 
Size:	195.3 KB 
ID:	89911Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1359.JPG 
Views:	334 
Size:	71.9 KB 
ID:	89912

Boolit Master
    That ranch dog is a good looking hunting boolit IMO.
    It's been a pretty poor year for me so far but here's the total to date.
    One doe by me with the 45 colt and 452-424 HP
    One bobcat by me with 7x57 and RCBS 7mm 168 sp
    One 7 point buck by my son with 30-30 and 311041 HP
    One coyote by buddy with 338 and lee c 339-220

I still have today for doe season and later alternative weapons season. Woody
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

That is a good looking bullet, know what your velocity is and alloy? Congrats.

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings and Congradulations !
    Hard to beat a big flat nose for excellent impact results. Was that a WW boolit ?
    Very nice of that doe to go in the right direction too. Thanks for the write up !
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Wolfer........nice bobcat! What a great trophy and pelt. This was the first year that my area of New Yerkistan that scheduled a bobcat season. There is one out there in the future for my bucket list.

Grendel99 / Missionary5155.......30-06, 35 grs of IMR 4895, no filler, WW LR primer, alloy was water cooled 90-5-5 (tested closer to 89-6-5). I used the softer 95-2.5-2.5 alloy often recommended by Larry Gibson to develop the 2100fps 30-30 load that dispatched my Texas hog, but since I cast these latest 311-165s just before deer season, I opted to cheat a little; give up a little on the expansion to guarantee a quickly developed, down and dirty hunting load with this harder bullet. A lot of range time was not an option. The 311-165 was sized .310 with a batch of old Mirror Lube in my Lyman 450. Cases were mixed head stamp and nothing special, sized in a normal Lee collet die and flared slightly with a Lee expanding die. I have not yet had an opportunity to chronograph this load, but would expect them to be in the neighborhood of 1800-1900 fps. Not setting the world on fire, but certainly adequate for nearly all of my deer hunting ranges. (Ok, I will confess that I took a reasonably nice 10pt earlier in the season with my 25-06 and j-words, purposely exposing myself to the possibility of longer shots.)
    Picture is of the 311-165 in the 30-30 which would have saved several hours of monkeying, but now I have a decent starting point to tweak this 06 load.
    And now, on to 9 days of muzzleloader season for the deer and/or bear that are left!

dmitch
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1008.JPG  

Boolit Master
    great looking boolet designs!