MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need some tacticool stock tape!

Banned

I need some tacticool stock tape!

So I picked up a Boyd's Tacticool stock recently and it exceeded all expectations. Only problem is I intend to shoot it "free recoil" and it has a tractive splatter-paint texture on it. Rather than sand it off in the comb and bag areas, I'd like to just cut out and apply some self-adhesive panels and stick 'em on. Something like a good quality vinyl electrical tape would do nicely if I could get it in sheets. Any ideas?

Gear

Boolit Master

It's a place I dislike, but I recall trolling the paint & hardware section @ Wally World recently and there were 8 x 11 sheets of "duct tape" in a rack, had choices of colors & print pattern. Might be something you could make do with.
    An old Cherokee was teaching his grandson about life. "Inside me two wolves fight," he told the boy.
    "One is evil - he is anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity, resentment, lies, false pride, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, generosity, truth and faith. The same fight is inside you - and every other person, too."
    The grandson thought for a minute and asked,"Which wolf will win?"
    The old Cherokee replied, "The one you feed."

Boolit Grand Master
    I used to have a roll of I think 3-M electrical tape that was two inches wide and very thick, three or four sheets of notebook paper thick. I think if you could find some of it, it would do what you want.

I used the last of it the last time I glasbedded a rifle. Maybe the stuff Brownell's sells as bedding tape would work? Might even be the same stuff.

Failing that, what about some of the clingy type vinyl window applications??

Hope this gave you some ideas,

Robert

Boolit Grand Master
    Sinclair sells stock tape for just that purpose.

Love Life
    Btroj got you good!

Boolit Grand Master
    Hey, if it is good enough for the BR guys it Sure as heck good enough for me!

When Tim finished my rifle some of that stuff will go on forearm and the toe of the stock.

Love Life
    Is that the rainbow 2x4?

Banned

I hate when the rifle has to shot like this. My Savage is VERY temperamental about this. It will go from a .2" rifle to a .9" rifle for the groups. I have redone the bedding a couple of times just to see if that was it. I just wonder how many other rifles out there would even shoot better if the people knew about how to do this?

Banned

i got some 3" wide O.D green tacticle milspec duct tape that would liven up that drab black stock.
    leemme know if you need it, it's great for taping up AR slings too [or don't they do that anymore?]
    i can't keep the tacticool, zombie tactical, and the LRT stuff separate anymore.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    Is that the rainbow 2x4?
    It is a 4x4 dammit. Show it some respect!

I hope he can make it weigh under 20 pounds.....

Banned

I thought it was a 4x6. You'll like that weight when you start pushing 2600 fps with 180-grainers.

Lots of good ideas on the tape, I appreciate them all. I have some wide electrical tape but it's not quite wide enough. I was sort of looking for a "redneck" solution here, might have to check out wally world.

Gear

Boolit Grand Master
    Sorry, I don't do redneck. I don't watch NASCAR, don't have a sister so I couldn't date mine, never eat gut pile or road kill, and have all my teeth.

I wonder if a nice, hard, epoxy type finish that was smoothed out would work? Don't forget to powder the bags if it is humid.

I need to get a new bag for my front rest. Current one is set up for sporters, I need something that will handle a 2.5 inch flat forearm.

Here's an interesting non permanent alternative that comes in a variety of color combinations.

It is called "CAMO-FORM" and is a flexible tape that sticks to itself. Kind of works like and ACE Bandage without the hooks.

It is reusable too, and they have a dozen or so different camo patterns. You can literally have a gun that will blend with virtually any environment simply by having several different rolls of the stuff.

It does not stick to your gun or whatever you are wrapping. It only sticks to itself. Since it stretches, it conforms to uneven surfaces well..

www.camoform.com

This stuff is one of the cooler items I found at the SHOT Show earlier this year.

Give it a look before you paint your gun some atrocious and nearly permanent colors .

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master
    Randy, he isn't looking for camo, he is looking for slick. He wants the gun to ride the bags without grabbing.

Banned

The bags and, more inportantly, my FACE. The comb of this rifle is like a cheese grater. Imagine that the stock has been sprayed like a pickup bed liner, complete with final splatter-texture. It's a very nice finish though, and having sanded through it to enlarge the barrel channel, it is quite durable and resists chipping. That's why I don't want to sand it smooth in certain places, it would be tough to refinish the smooth spots and make it look right.

Gear

Boolit Grand Master
    Ouch! That bed liner is coarse stuff. At least you wouldn't need to shave for a while?

Love Life
    Stick some moleskin on the cheeckrest. Cheap and works. Provides a little grip without eating your face.

Boolit Grand Master
    Moleskin would work well on a cheek piece. Hey LL, do they make black moleskin?

Love Life
    Yep. They make black moleskin. I use moleskin in the winters to keep my aluminum cheek saddle from being very uncomfortable, and in the summer when you have sweaty face it gives traction. Good stuff. I use the molefoam variety. It's a bit thicker and absorbs sweat better.

Then there is the tried and true method of cutting up an iso-mat and building a cheek rest.

No Gear, my stuff would roll the skin right off your face, but I doubt you'd see it in the woods since it is camouflaged. Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast