Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: diy brass sorters - got any?

diy brass sorters - got any?

i know that someone has made a genius yet simple way to sort brass. i have some to sort and just hand picking the 223 brass alone is a handful of time. show us what you have or tell us how you sort yours.
    my feedback. ive done a few more but never get feedback.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hlight=beex215

I just dump the brass on the floor, lay out some coffee cans, and start chuckin it at the right cans.

I've wondered if you could get different size collenders/strainers and try them ???

Boolit Grand Master
    Same Thing^^^^as post #2

Shiloh
    Last edited by Shiloh; 12-07-2013 at 11:21 AM.
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

I dont know how well that would work. I doubt the brass would want to stand up to go theough the screen, and there are too many cartridges that all are the same diamiter. Like say, 223 and 204 Ruger. 270win and 280Rem. 7mm/08 and 308. I just dont think it would work.

Boolit Master

Yup...coming out of the tumbler, I dump my brass directly from the media separator onto a large towel and sort it into the appropriate bins. Also useful as a first pass to cull out any split/dinged cases.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop Junior View Post
    I just dump the brass on the floor, lay out some coffee cans, and start chuckin it at the right cans.
    Works as well as anything. Mark II eyeball and fingers just works.

I use a card table, chair, cigar, and ashtray in my garage. Dump my dirty, scrounged range brass in a pile on the table, light my smoke, and start pickin'. Typically grab all the large rifle brass first into one pile, then the .223's, then the .44 mags and .45 Colts, then the .38's/.357's, then the .45acp's, .40's, etc. Ain't hard, doesn't take that long.

I have a set of those slotted plastic sorting trays, too much of a PITA and not that effective. They're OK if all you have are .45/.40/9mm brass, but the cases still nest together and cause grief. Nobody ever tells you about that though.....

2 hours just spent sorting the rest of the brass by hand. more 223 this time around than my entire career of range brass collecting.
    my feedback. ive done a few more but never get feedback.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hlight=beex215

Boolit Master

I spend an hour watching O'Rielly and sorting brass. I have an old fry pan that helps stand the cases mouth up, which makes sorting by diameter and height pretty quick. It also displays the nested cartridges pretty easily. Just my $0.02.

DRNurse1

Education is one thing you can give away freely while suffering no personal loss and likely increasing one's own knowledge.

Properly vetted source information prevents GIGO, the scourge of the internet.

I've been using one of these setups for the past 5+ years... called the shellsorter.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	page0_1.jpg 
Views:	600 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	89769

Sits on top of 5 gallon bucket, I need to get a smaller 3 gallon bucket to be more range/car packing friendly.

Banned
    You can also get another sorter plate to seperate .380 from 9mm.
    I've been using these for 2 years, shure makes short work of the sorting

Quote Originally Posted by armedmoose View Post
    I've been using one of these setups for the past 5+ years... called the shellsorter.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	page0_1.jpg 
Views:	600 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	89769

Sits on top of 5 gallon bucket, I need to get a smaller 3 gallon bucket to be more range/car packing friendly.
    Yeah, that's what I mentioned previously. I have a set of those gathering dust, don't like 'em and have no plans to use 'em again.

Boolit Master

The gotcha is the nested brass. I use the IBM method as described by other posts here - (IBM = Is Better Manual). The Shell Sorter set I have is buried somewhere in my storage shed.

Boolit Buddy
    You guys are all doing it wrong. Here is the best most efficient way to sort brass.

Here is all you need:
    6 young carbon based life forms, vaguely look like either you or your spouse. Or a combination of the both of you. Several buckets, and a pile of brass.

While this method is not the most efficient, and the 2 year old carbon based life form who vaguely looks like me is more about dropping any brass in any bucket, it sure beats me doing it. and I got to feed em anyways so its not like it cost me any more. I just tell em, no Wii till it's done. Then after they sort by caliber. I come in and tell them they forgot to sort by head stamp also. For some reason this causes some grumbling and moaning.

I am building memmories

Yes yes, i became quite good at sorting brass because of said above method.

Boolit Master
    I think what most of the guys are saying is, it's just a matter of eye hand cordination there is no easy way. The problem I have is when I miss a 357 in a pile of 38s and it goes through the dillon unnoticed until I feed a boolit. Oh well.

Sort before tumbling to avoid stacked brass. Most of it anyway.
    The Shell sorter set is really worth the money if you have a source of inexpensive brass.
    Buy once, cry once. Use for a very long time.

I also use a flat surface like a tabletop or old cookie sheet, and I stand all the various pistol brass upright. Using a large pair of tweezers, it's then very simple and quick to pick them out by calibers. When I'm down to just the 9mm and .380's, the .380's are shorter than the 9's and are very easy to spot. Even 9 Makarov's are easy to pick out from the 9 Lugers when they're all upright.

Boolit Master
    I saw a system that had a series of steel rods that spread out like the tines on a lawn rake. It was at an angle with a vibrating device to shake it a little. A handfull of mixed brass was placed on the end where all the rods came together. As the brass vibrated down the rods, the different diameters would fall through the ever widening space between the rods. The different caliber brass fell into nice neat piles under the contraption. Worked great!
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast