Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad DataTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: Opening Day

Banned

Opening Day

Today is the opener of the Kansas Firearm season. Gonna walk out the door in a few minutes, sunrise is in about an hour and a half. It's much warmer than usual for opening day with good chance of some rain, usually it's clear and cold. I am a wuss when dealing with cold and this always makes the gamble about how much to wear and risk being miserable a challenge.

Hope to bloody another Savage 99 in a little while, wish me luck, guys.

Boolit Master
    Good Luck. Kansas Firearms season is much later than ours. Arkansas was over this past Sunday and was three weeks long. We still have a 3 day secondary muzzle-loading, the middle of this month and a 3 day modern gun starting the day after X-mas.

Winelover

Boolit Bub
    The last bastion of liberal thought in Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Today is the opener of the Kansas Firearm season. Gonna walk out the door in a few minutes, sunrise is in about an hour and a half. It's much warmer than usual for opening day with good chance of some rain, usually it's clear and cold. I am a wuss when dealing with cold and this always makes the gamble about how much to wear and risk being miserable a challenge.

Hope to bloody another Savage 99 in a little while, wish me luck, guys.
    Good luck (and, unfortunately, I think you're going to get some powerful cold weather within the next 24 hrs)

Boolit Grand Master
    best of luck for you and the ol 99
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    You want cold come out west rich. In Oakley for the next few days. Wind is out of the north 20-40mph high temp in the truck today was 28.
    Jeff
    Not cast but one of the guys got a nice 6 point 15 minutes into it this am.

Boolit Master
    In Michigan, the firearm deer season ended on 11/30. Bow season is back on, ML starts on Dec 6. Here it was warmer today, than when I was out hunting the last week. One day the windchill was down to 7 deg. Funny thing is that on Nov 18, it was a pretty windy day, and I didn't think we would see many deer at all, but we ended up getting two bucks that day. Saw a total of 8 bucks. Go figure. Good luck to you!

Banned

Well, bad as I hate to admit it, I clean missed a doe this morning. Many contributing factors, but the bottom line is she surprised me and I rushed the shot. It was only a few minutes after I climbed into the tree, legal shooting light, but still before sun rise so dark and with iron sights, and I was fixated on the direction the buck I shot from the same tree last year came from when I should have been more oriented towards where she came from (the place the buck was standing is under the lake water now). It was also windy so I didn't hear he before I saw her. Still, a clean miss is better than a bad hit, I just wish I hadn't had to go to work today so I could have stayed out longer and maybe gotten another shot.

Our regular season runs for a couple of weeks, then Fort Riley will have theirs. In January, we have an extended antlerless only season if you have any tags left. Except for the cold, I like that January season, the days are longer, the deer are getting less spooky and no other hunters for the most part. I hunt only public land, so I like to stay out of the woods the first weekend of firearms season, but I will be back out this Sunday. Hopefully this cold snap we're about to have will have a good effect on the deer hunting.

Yea, NC Kansas had 35mph winds with 17 degrees (along with freezing rain). I hung onto the stand, but just barely. We got what we were after right after sun up.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. A View Post
    Yea, NC Kansas had 35mph winds with 17 degrees (along with freezing rain). I hung onto the stand, but just barely. We got what we were after right after sun up.
    Where in Kansas are you hunting? I'm on public land on the north end of Milford Lake. Hunted Fort Riley the three days after Thanksgiving, had a good time, but no deer.

We were covered up in deer north of Minneapolis. my brother in Emporia said they were not moving around him either.