RotoMetals2WidenersLoad DataInline Fabrication
RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RL 1050 Reloader burns down garage (I am inclined to this one B.S.)

Boolit Master

RL 1050 Reloader burns down garage (I am inclined to this one B.S.)

I noticed this one flying around Facebook this morning, I am inclined call B.S. on this one. What say any of you who have experience with 1050's. I think it's more likely there is more to the story?

IMPORTANT SAFETY WARNING!

This will sound most hypocritical coming from me, but PLEASE pay attention to powder spills and bench clutter.

I got a call from a local commercial loader, a mutual friend of ours (another one of my BULK brass buyers) lost his garage last week.

He and a friend were loading on Doug's 2 1050s and one of them "popped" a primer. It ignited some loose powder on the press (who has NOT had a powder spill or several) and instantly spread to other powder, papers and other combustibles. I don't know if there were open powder jugs on the benches, extra primers etc. around, I only spoke to Bill, not Doug himself.

Short version, they didn't lose the house, but had the Fire Department been 5 to 10 minutes later, they would have lost it all.

I almost always keep the CLOSED jug of powder that I'm working out of, on the bench as well as some extra primers. Maybe not anymore, I don't have to make every mistake myself.

Just take it for what it's worth.
    My hero's have always been Cowboys!

Boolit Grand Master
    It's the discipline of a clean bench I've yet to master. Every now and then I clean the shop, straighten the work bench, put the tools back where they belong, but it's not the rule. Every time I do, I work much faster and better and invariably say to myself, "I got to keep this place organized." My loading bench is the exception. I do manage to keep it straight and clutter free when working there.

Boolit Master

I suppose its possible, but the guy must be loading in a pigsty. I imagine years (or decades) of spilled powder on the bench and floor could make for a rude awakening. I always sweep and vacuum my loading area every few weeks.

Boolit Bub
    I have a little tray that I use to burn my small spills of powder as I don't want to use little contaminated bits in my machine.
    It isn't easy to light loose powder in the open and its burn is pretty anticlimactic. Boring even, would have to light quite the cluttered pile of oil soaked papers and rags I would think to get out of control before one could respond to it.
    But that's just my opinion.
    Jody

bhn22
    Wow. Imagine being such a slob that you endanger everything you own with your own carelessness. Then imagine blaming a machine for your own carelessness, then shooting your mouth off on a large social website.

How much spilled powder would it take to set the place on fire?

Inconceivable!

Boolit Master
    I am calling it B.S. for sure now!!! Kids don't try this at home.

I just set off a dozen primers large and small pistol into 15 grains of bullseye buy hand and by revolver. The best I could manage was blowing the powder all over my deck!!! I loaded a .38 S&W with bullseye and a paper card over the top and fired it directly into another 15 grains of BE same result!

I put a large pistol primer in 10 grains of BE and hit with a hammer the primer went off but not the powder, confinement is the key!

Give it a try! It was kind of fun, too!

I agree B.S. I've had primers go off in various machines over the years, and never had any other issue than the primer pop. Heck, I had a .357 Max go off in my hand trying to re-seat a primer and it did not light the powder. Blew the case in two and the bullet hit my hand hard, no other injury. Never have tried to re-seat a primer on a loaded cartridge again either.

Boolit Master

I have popped a Large Pistol primer in a Dillon 1050 because a Federal small
    primer 45 ACP case was in the batch.
    Nothing to do but change underwear
    No fire or other issue
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    Yup, that story sounds like a cover up to me.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Master
    The machine is an inanimate object like a firearm. 1050s don't burn houses.
    EDG

Boolit Master

Dillon recommends having the lid (which the press comes with) on the powder measures when reloading on their equipment. The possibility of the powder burning following a primer stack detonation has been thought of...

I once lit a line of about 40 lbs of smokeless (mostly mid burn rate rifle) powder. The flame was intense, but brief. I don't know that its dwell time was long enough to heat anything to ignition.

If it would happen with a 1050, it would happen with a 550 or 650 or SD, for that matter more likely with an LNL when the bushing decides to self QD.

Oats and wheat can blow up under the right condition, try not to blow up your self with breakfast and you'll be fine with your reloading gear.

I am a slave to a clean reloading bench I have had spills but i clean them up right then before i continue loading I am sorry to hear about that fellas garage fire but as you said it could have been much worse

Boolit Master
    I left my Lee laodmaster press unatteded and went to the store. My miniflood light was left too close to the powder hopper and the buld must have touched it. The light melted thru the hopper and ignited the powder, it was WST or WSF and almost full. The hopper was melted but no damage elsewhere. Its hard to beleive spilled powder would catch a bigger fire unless you have pounds of it. I have burnt powder before to get rid of it and you must have something under it that burns easy and its not wood. Must be paper or highly flamable stuff under it to get it going.

Boolit Buddy

Good grief. My best guess would be that they tipped over the open bourbon bottle during the reloading mishap. Banana Foster boolits Just a wild guess and no claim of events in this mishap. (CYA)
    In 2020 congress finally forced the VA to provide Agent Orange coverage to Blue Water Navy Vietnam veterans. RIP shipmates that never received proper care.

Boolit Master
    LeftyDon, I think you are the winner if the story is even remotely true. I still think it's a made up story altogether, some people just like to stir the pot with unsubstantiated rumors.

I just set off a dozen primers large and small pistol into 15 grains of bullseye buy hand and by revolver. The best I could manage was blowing the powder all over my deck!!! I loaded a .38 S&W with bullseye and a paper card over the top and fired it directly into another 15 grains of BE same result!
    I wish you lived closer, I would bring the beer for further testing.

Boolit Master
    Jmorris, That would be very cool! I actually made a little holder so I could pop the primers almost uncontained, nice bang no fireworks. Powder uncontained is very stable!

Here is what Dillion had to say: "Nothing we've ever heard of before." Short and sweet!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 44Vaquero View Post
    LeftyDon, I think you are the winner if the story is even remotely true. I still think it's a made up story altogether, some people just like to stir the pot with unsubstantiated rumors.
    Yes, cigars and Everclear or 151 Rum are not reloader friendly. Sounds like it must have had a lot more flammables piled around that just occasional powder spill.

Here's a tip: if you reload as a business and have two 2050s running every day, it us perfectly OK to take 5 minutes at the end of the day to tidy up the bench and sweep the floor below. No loss of Man Points for operating a broom in the shop.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast