Reloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2Wideners
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: H&R 38-55 target Rifle

Boolit Master

H&R 38-55 target Rifle

I just bought one of these and took it out for the first time to the range. I had a box of hand loads consisting of a 250 gr flat point plain base boolit sized to 379 amd lubed with my black powder home made lube over 18 gr of 5744. I was shooting at a 25 yard pistol target setup at 100 yards. It took me some rounds to get centered on the target and then I proceeded to fire two 10 round groups. I got a 99 with 7 Xs and a 100 with 5 Xs. This was the first time I shot the rifle and it was a gratifying experience. group size was 3 inches on the first target including one flyer into the 9 ring and the second target was 1.25 inches centered on the 3 oclock side of the x ring. For an inexpensive rifle this is good shooting.

Boolit Master
    Nick, I would like to suggest my favorite load for this rifle, consisting of 30/30 reformed cases, approx. 8 grains of Red Dot, topped with a Lee or Lyman 250 grain plain base boolit. The Lee version is more accurate; anyway, this load is very clean, very accurate, nice and quiet, generates little recoil, and approaches 44 mag handgun ballistics(1200+fps). I've never really thought of the 38/55 as a varminter, but here a while back I stuck one of these Lee slugs in a groundhog's ear at over 100yds from a kneeling position. My rifle is scoped, but that little episode demonstrated the accuracy potential of the cartridge. That XMP load of yours sounds impressive, I would like to give some of those a try as I would like to also have a 38/55 load with a bit more "oomph". Enjoy your new toy!
    lathesmith

NickSS-
    Glad to here it is a shooter! I've had one in the safe for a month and no time to try it out! Maybe this weekend...

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the load data. I happen to have several 38-55 molds including a couple of heavy ones like an nei 330 gr and an LBT 310 gr ones that I use in my C Sharps high wall for black powder. I will try your plinking loads with my 350 gr slugs as it sounds like a nice practice round.

Moderator Emeritus
    Nick,

Just curious... Is your sight raised above the top most hash marks with a 100 yd zero? Mine is.

I don't think I have enough elevation in the rear sight to get to 200 yds, which is surprising since this is billed as a target rifle.

Thanks,
    John

Boolit Man

38-55 handy 1871 load

I have had very good results with Remington cases, 26gr 3031, and 260 gr Cast Performance LFNGC bullets sized .378. I must admit to being far from traditional as I have a M8 4X Leupold mounted with Weaver base and rings. My hi power buddies get a kick out of the impact thwack that follows the report. I tell them that its gentlemans shooting, takes patience!! Check out the target.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails target3855cmp.JPG  

Boolit Buddy

May I ask, do these target models come drilled and tapped for scope mounts? I'm thinking about a .38-55 as a deer rifle for my daughter.

Thanks, Regan

Boolit Master
    yes they do
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

Boolit Master
    I ordered a .404 Lyman sight from Brownells and solved that problem, H&R put the tallest front sight they could find which is hard to use on a rifle that should be a long range rifle. Check out the H&R/NEF section on Greybeard outdoors
    http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php?board=126.0 Look at the H&R/NEF basic 101 and FAQ section

Boolit Master
    The original rear sight went up about half way to get on with my 5744 load but I did not like that sight so bought a Williams FP sight that gives me click adjustments in windage and elevation. I shot it with a black powder load yesterday in a rain storm at 100 yards with a load consisting of a Lyman 250 gr LFP and 42 gr of FFG GOEX with a .030 veggi wad between the powder and bullet. Results were good giving me two ten shot groups of 1.75" and 2.15". I uses a blow tube and three breths between shots. This rifle is a shooter and for the under $300 it cost me a real bargan as it shoots as well as my $2000 high wall.

Boolit Master
    Has anyone tried a duplex load using H870 in 38-55? I have mucho 870 I would like to use. I see this is being done in the 45-70 with good results.
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.