Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
WidenersReloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Midsouth Shooters Supply has Bator & Soup Can Molds in stock

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Dan,
    you need to look at the page "SPECIAL ORDER MOULDS" in their "LEAD BULLET CASTING" section

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...ortItem=Newest
    Jon, thanks, I completely missed that! I wanted to make an order but my credit card address and shipping address are different and I needed to speak with a human but they closed early due to the storm.

Banned
    ----------I received my 6cav yesterday & cast today. It is not easy to cast those itty bitty bulits in that big mold.

Although I got good bullets right away my discard rate was about 10%

with 22 cal boolits, the importance of culling out boolits with even the tinyest flaws is crucial for accuracy. I bet when you get to looking them over more closely, you'll find that you'll reject more than 10%. I know I do. Oh, and don't forget the weight sorting. -----------

Thanks for the reply.
    Since I didn't start counting "good" until I had the furnace figured out I'm not really much above 10% culls.

---------
    Any idea what hardness should be used on this?

what pressure are you gonna load to ?
    read this:
    http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm
    specifically the section titled, "Approximate "Maximum" Chamber Pressure For Lead Alloys (PSI)"
    ------------------------

Yep have it, read it, just a generic question on what people are using for this little bugger. (to tell the truth, I have to really work to figure out some of the math on this stuff. Not my area)

----------------------
    I guess this is for another thread but have any of you noticed that the Lee 20# heats very hot? I had mine down to 0 trying to get the temp down under 700.

WHAT ? something sounds wrong !
    -----------------
    Yep, that's why I asked. My Lee melter 20#, is around 5 to get under 700 & Lee 10# is a 6. I am going to try it again just to see what's up.
    -------------------
    Any suggestions on loads for this 22?

Do you have a copy of the Lyman cast bullet handbook ? If your copy has the caliber you want to load for, they will list load data. ------------------

Yes I have it plus cast bullet books that I have had since the 60s. The reason one asks that question is to get insight on what others have found works for them. It can easily cut the experimentation to a fraction.

I don't understand this cast bullet thing where someone asks about loads & gets told to read a book. We have the books usually, at least I do. When I get together with my long range shooting buddies most of the talk is about what bullets, loads, primers, turning necks, annealing cases etc. we are useing with success or failure.

That is the first thing we talk about.

When I got my last 1000yd gun it was a Bat action with Spencer barrel & the first thing I did was talk to the guy who had it's twin brother, what his load was etc. (since he was the national champ with his gun I figured I might want to start with his load) He like everyone else I know was more than happy to share.

Why is it such a big deal here. If you all want to know what my .308 500yd load that shoots under 2" is, I'm happy to let you know; everything. Hope you do even better.

Another thing is that the cast bullet manuals, like jacketed manuals, don't have lots of loads that work well. Does that Lyman have in it to start at lowest jacketed load offered (in the proper powder of course) for you to cast?

I guarantee you my 43.5 - 44.5 RL15 under a 175gr match bullet is not in any manual but it works.

Another reason is I don't load for 55gr .22s except for plinkers in ARs & then its just --- of --- so the kids can shoot.

Almost all my ARs are made to shoot 75s-80s even the CQC guns shoot 62s & 75s. So an accuracy load for a 55gr is not anything I use & getting some heads up on what has worked for others is nice, especially in CB rifle shooting that I have little experience in.

I'm not trying to be a smartaz but I've been reading the gripe session in the "cast boolits" section about people asking questions & don't think a lot of what newbys are doing is so wrong.

If you don't want to answer you don't have too.

I think I will address that over there.

Any ways, thanks for the info. I'll check with Accurate, I'm waiting to hear back from NOE if he can do some up for me.
    Thanks
    Tom

I just got my 22 bator 2cav out of the mailbox! I filled my pot with some Lyman #2 yesterday. Will report back soon

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by .429 View Post
    I just got my 22 bator 2cav out of the mailbox! I filled my pot with some Lyman #2 yesterday. Will report back soon
    Mine just came in today also, but it's too darn cold in the garage to try it out. I guess I'm getting to be a wuss in my old age.
    NRA Endowment member, TSRA Life member, Distinguished Rifleman, Viet Nam Vet

Banned
    [QUOTE=KCcactus;2513633]I have both the Lee 10lb and 20lb and rarely use the 10 now. If you are down at or near 0 and still at 700 degrees, I agree you have a problem. Maybe a defective thermostat? I would contact Lee. Mine is normally between 6 and 7 with a full pot. I turn it down a little when it gets below half way. I don't have a thermometer.

I hear that; most of mine are 230-450 & that really sucks lead.

I finally found a setting on the rod that was slow enough to not overflow the Bator mold with a nice small sprue puddle.

What I always have done is flux after I get a pot melted, even though it was fluxed twice before it was made into ingots. I knock sprue back into the pot if I can & add it back to it & when I get to 1/2 I add more ingots until full & then flux again.

I also have to turn mine down as I lower the level. If I'm going to keep casting past 1/2 it gets turned down several times to keep it at m/l 675.

I'm pretty sure I've got a bad pot. I'll try it again just to make sure I don't send a good pot back & get a *** from Lee. lol
    Thanks
    Tom

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by tygar View Post
    ...snip...
    Any suggestions on loads for this 22?

Do you have a copy of the Lyman cast bullet handbook ? If your copy has the caliber you want to load for, they will list load data. ------------------

Yes I have it plus cast bullet books that I have had since the 60s. The reason one asks that question is to get insight on what others have found works for them. It can easily cut the experimentation to a fraction.

I don't understand this cast bullet thing where someone asks about loads & gets told to read a book. We have the books usually, at least I do. When I get together with my long range shooting buddies most of the talk is about what bullets, loads, primers, turning necks, annealing cases etc. we are useing with success or failure.

That is the first thing we talk about.

When I got my last 1000yd gun it was a Bat action with Spencer barrel & the first thing I did was talk to the guy who had it's twin brother, what his load was etc. (since he was the national champ with his gun I figured I might want to start with his load) He like everyone else I know was more than happy to share.

Why is it such a big deal here. If you all want to know what my .308 500yd load that shoots under 2" is, I'm happy to let you know; everything. Hope you do even better.

Another thing is that the cast bullet manuals, like jacketed manuals, don't have lots of loads that work well. Does that Lyman have in it to start at lowest jacketed load offered (in the proper powder of course) for you to cast?

I guarantee you my 43.5 - 44.5 RL15 under a 175gr match bullet is not in any manual but it works.

Another reason is I don't load for 55gr .22s except for plinkers in ARs & then its just --- of --- so the kids can shoot.

Almost all my ARs are made to shoot 75s-80s even the CQC guns shoot 62s & 75s. So an accuracy load for a 55gr is not anything I use & getting some heads up on what has worked for others is nice, especially in CB rifle shooting that I have little experience in.

I'm not trying to be a smartaz but I've been reading the gripe session in the "cast boolits" section about people asking questions & don't think a lot of what newbys are doing is so wrong.

If you don't want to answer you don't have too.

...snip...
    WOW ! ??? !!!

IMHO, your post, which I replied too, 'read' like you have little experience in casting/loading cast boolits for rifle. So whether you have been casting since the 60s or just started 60 days ago, I had no idea, I don't know you like your buddies know you. I suspected you were a newbie who hasn't read a manual yet and I am not going to give loading data to someone who hasn't read a manual.

You didn't say what caliber you were reloading, you didn't say what gun you planned to shoot them through or the details of the gun like twist rate and such??? So if I felt like including some load data, it would have been for Ruger 77/22H with a 1:12. But why would I waste my time digging through my notebooks when I didn't know if it would help.

20,000+ members here and no one gave you any load info "for this 22" ...and the only member (Me) who responded to your Q, "Any suggestions on loads for this 22?" and you give me a lecture on my discretion.

Then after all that...
    you say this,
    "Another reason is I don't load for 55gr .22s except for plinkers in ARs & then its just --- of --- so the kids can shoot."
    sounds like if your gun shoots patterns instead of groups, you'd be OK with that. I'm thinking any starting load in The Lyman cast bullet handbook #4 in 223rem will be just fine.

You want groups instead of patterns? you should search and read some of the 100's of threads with titles like, "Can I shoot Lead in my AR?" and/or "which 556 mold for my AR?" posted by all the newbies in the last year of Obama craziness, There is lots of great info in those threads posted by people who have loaded cast in AR's for a long time. Lastly, I believe the Bator is a poor choice for the AR.
    Good luck,
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Banned
    WOW ! ??? !!!

IMHO, your post, which I replied too, 'read' like you have little experience in casting/loading cast boolits for rifle. So whether you have been casting since the 60s or just started 60 days ago, I had no idea, I don't know you like your buddies know you. I suspected you were a newbie who hasn't read a manual yet and I am not going to give loading data to someone who hasn't read a manual.

You didn't say what caliber you were reloading, you didn't say what gun you planned to shoot them through or the details of the gun like twist rate and such??? So if I felt like including some load data, it would have been for Ruger 77/22H with a 1:12. But why would I waste my time digging through my notebooks when I didn't know if it would help.

20,000+ members here and no one gave you any load info "for this 22" ...and the only member (Me) who responded to your Q, "Any suggestions on loads for this 22?" and you give me a lecture on my discretion.

Then after all that...
    you say this,
    "Another reason is I don't load for 55gr .22s except for plinkers in ARs & then its just --- of --- so the kids can shoot."
    sounds like if your gun shoots patterns instead of groups, you'd be OK with that. I'm thinking any starting load in The Lyman cast bullet handbook #4 in 223rem will be just fine.

You want groups instead of patterns? you should search and read some of the 100's of threads with titles like, "Can I shoot Lead in my AR?" and/or "which 556 mold for my AR?" posted by all the newbies in the last year of Obama craziness, There is lots of great info in those threads posted by people who have loaded cast in AR's for a long time. Lastly, I believe the Bator is a poor choice for the AR.
    Good luck,
    Jon
    To start out I specifically said what rifles I was going to use - read my posts Rem 700 22-250 & Sav .223 w/ 1-14 & 1-9 twists. Second if you don't see that I shoot little bitty groups at very long range & know what I'm doing then u better get real.

I said 55s for the kids to play. I have ARs that shoot less than MOA at 500 & bolts that shoot .25.

You need to read better. When someone is talking about Bat action, Spencer brl guns that go about 5k they very well might have an idea whats going on.

I don't try to sound like a know it all like some people & clearly have said I don't have expertise in Rifle CBs so I ask questions.

I have searched this site for specific info & have looked at what was found but frequently little or nothing came up in the search. If you don't know what the key is to retrieve it then it won't come up. Just saying look it up isn't much help.

Contrary to what you said I was obviously talking about jacketed bullets in 55s since I just got a .22 cast bullet mold & where did you get anything about me shooting "patterns". ---of--- is just showing that it could be one of several loads. e.g. 25.0 of H335.

Now I also clearly stated that I was talking about the "general" attitude & specifically commented that it was on the other thread.

I did find things you said condescending (to which I didn't respond) & you ignore what I say & cherry pick a piece of the line & use it to belittle the statement. e.g. You pick - Another reason is I don't load for 55gr .22s except for plinkers in ARs & then its just --- of --- so the kids can shoot. "Saying I shoot patterns."

And ignore: Almost all my ARs are made to shoot 75s-80s even the CQC guns shoot 62s & 75s. So an accuracy load for a 55gr is not anything I use & getting some heads up on what has worked for others is nice, especially in CB rifle shooting that I have little experience in. (so what part of I don't shoot 55s very much is not clear but heavier bullets)

What part of my ARs, of which I have 7, 4 of which are match or sniper guns & 3 are CQC rifles that use heavier bullets, didn't you get?

Do me a favor & if we cross paths on another thread just pass me bye & I'll do the same with you & then neither one of us will get upset.

Moderator Emeritus

ignore
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

Banned
    ignore
    Finally
    double ignore

Boolit Master
    Just ordered 2 of the 2 cavity .22 Bator molds. Thanks for the info! Bob

12/14/2013-Received order already, NICE!
    Last edited by Buzzard II; 12-14-2013 at 04:47 PM.
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Got my bator 6 banger yesterday, fired up the 4-20 pot and cast/water dropped about 400 in no time.

Perfect boolits from the pre-heated mold on 1st drop.

I DO use pressure casting, as that fills the small cavities very fast and very well. Some complain about poor fill with the small cavity size. Try pressure casting! It works for any small cal mold. Actually.....ANY mold.

I use it a LOT!

Now to PC them on the new jig I am building today. Then CU GC's for all.

Temps here yesterday were touching 60! Sorry guys! Perfect casting weather.

banger

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	90128Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	90129

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RSCN2023.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	90157 i was pleasantly surprised at how well this mold performed. probably better than any of my Lee molds. this boolit weighs 50.0gr with the gc and cast with Lyman #2 alloy

I can't wait to get mine! Should be here Friday the 13th!! (scary!)
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by AKtinman View Post
    Hey Jon, I'll buy the 6 cavity from you and save you having to return it, if that works for you.

Regards

Ron
    PM sent
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I got my bator today... Yeeee haw... Too bad i am working on a couple of christmas guns..... Prolly be next week before i can cast again.....

AG

AG
    I got those boolits in the mail today.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Anyone happen to know the BC of the .22 Bator?

Quote Originally Posted by waco View Post
    Anyone happen to know the BC of the .22 Bator?
    sorry for being such a noob, but what is BC?

Ballistic Coefficient

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast