RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the least fun gun you have shot?

Boolit Master

Rifle: The Barret M-82/M-107 .50 cal rifle. The recoil isn't bad due to an efficient muzzle brake, but that brake requires double ear protection and is probably part of the reason I have tinnitus. I wouldn't shoot one recreationally, but on the job, well ya got 'a do what ya got 'a do.

Pistol: 1911 (original GI), not the 1911A1. The short grip safety allows the hammer spur to cut the heck out of the web of my hand unless I wear a glove.

Shotgun: 870 Supermag with 3 1/2" shells. Sometimes when shooting geese I don't notice the recoil, but mostly I do. Of course the geese don't think much of it either!
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master

And another for the .45-70 contender. 6 rounds and my arm was numb for several hours. I think I'd let the grizzley get me before I'd fire that thing again!

Boolit Master

Model 600 Remington 308 bad recoil it would hurt you to shoot

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by jimb16 View Post
    And another for the .45-70 contender. 6 rounds and my arm was numb for several hours. I think I'd let the grizzley get me before I'd fire that thing again!
    Over on the Singleshot forum it's not uncommon to see discussions about Contenders in 45/70.
    And, every now and then you'll see somebody looking for that barrel in the Want to Buy section.

I have never figured out why ANYBODY would want to shoot that cartridge in a handgun.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tygar View Post
    My first .460 was before they ported them & I just went to my bench & started to shoot. 6 rounds later I was seeing black with shiny stars flickering. The moral is....don't shoot a ball buster with it low on the table & you leaning into it. Have it hi enough to sit up straight & don't lean in, just have it snug to shoulder.

But, the all time worst was my first .470 double. It was a Douglas & it just did not fit right for me & about broke my shoulder, it really hurt.

For sheer snap from an overbore, the .378 Wby w/o break, no doubt. Even with the break it'll get your attention.

ps it took 2 wks before the stars went away

I FORGOT: I once had my .458 double rifle, double on me! 2 .458s at the same time when your aren't expecting it really sucks. I couldn't shoot from that shoulder for about 3 months & it was the only time I partially dropped a gun.

Boolit Buddy

My LCR with heavy 357 mag loads. This thing is amazingly accurate for a sub 2" barrel though. My best groups is sub 2.5" at 20 yards...freehand! Typical groups from a rest are around 3". But it hurts. I guess, it's still more fun to have a gun that shoots well and beats the pi$$ out of you than to have one that you can't hit with.

Boolit Master

A 35 Remington Contender with factory ammo. Once was enough.

Boolit Grand Master
    Anyone else notice the tendency for light gun/heavy load to be pretty unfriendly to shoot?

I don't mind a 3" 12 ga int he field but to shoot on paper to see how it patterns? Not fun. Worse yet was the short stock I put on my wife's shotgun so my faith gutter could use it with a red dot for turkey. Firing a round with your fingers against your cheek and lips when you know it is gonna hurt isn't pleasant. At least I was smart enough to do the majority of the adjusting using 12 AG trap loads and not 3" 2 oz loads.

Boolit Master

Hammerrli .22LR Free Pistol. The flamin' trigger was so light, and the grips fit so well, that I could hardly tell when it went off.

But then there was the Clark 38 - really sweet, but an un-forgiving Bee Eye itch - make a little mistake that would throw a 9 with a 45, and the Clark would throw a 7!
    Last edited by Echo; 12-17-2013 at 02:21 AM.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

A friend's .378 Weatherby!!!

Bob

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by RickinTN View Post
    Ruger #1 45-70 with loads of 405 gr @ around 1,900 fps. from a bench.

Rick
    Your a tougher man than I
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Love Life
    7 lb 300 winchester magnum.

Boolit Master

57mm recoilless rifle.
    Gun control is not about guns.

Boolit Buddy
    Ruger 77 stainless with synthetic skeletal stock in '06. Recoil on those guns is horrible for any caliber.

Boolit Grand Master

Wow is this a toss-up...I had a Ruger SP101 snub that was no fun with full house 158gr ammo. I could shoot it fine but it was not pleasant.
    I shot a double barrel 10g when I was in high school to prove what a stud I was. I let off both barrels at once and found out I was not.
    Guy at Whitetail deer camp had a 378 Weatherby Mag he was letting people try. Why have one in deer camp I'm not sure but I was in junior high and trying to be manly so I tried it. Almost broke my shoulder and the scope bite pretty much gave me a concussion. Never tried one again and will never for any reason short of a lifetime safari but many are those Weatherby's beautiful guns.
    Last edited by jonp; 11-26-2013 at 04:22 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by brtelec View Post
    I used to work at a gunshop/outdoor range many many years ago.When they mounted a scope we would put 3 rounds through each one at 100 yards. I fired 15 rounds through 5, 460 Weatherbys off the bench. I had a bruise that went from my sternum to my elbow.
    We are not worthy. You must have loved that job to do something like that.

Grandfathers 10 gauge single barrel "goose" gun. I was a big kid but not that big. I have uncles in heaven who are probably still chuckling over how that rocked my world.
    Sporterized 303 Enfield, I thought cool it's light, easy to carry, still has the neat brass butt plate and I already have ammo. Bought it but did not enjoy that much charge out of a rifle that light directed at a metal butt plate pulled against my shoulder.

Moderator Emeritus
    Anything black, tactical and without wood. The sheer ugliness of such guns suck out any pleasure one might get shooting them.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Master
    My Ruger 10-22. It would not shoot better than a 12 inch group at 25 feet. After keeping it for 10 years and trying all kinds of fixes I put a Green Mtn. Bull barrel on it. It now shoots a dime sized ragged hole at 50 yards. From the least fun to the most fun for $100. I may put a $300 trigger on it.

Boolit Master
    The only gun I ever fired that I didn't like was a Glock 10mm that I rented at a public range in Ohio while on vacation.
    I shot it well enough, but 50 rounds later the web of my right hand between the thumb and trigger finger was rubbed raw from the grip.

That was nearly 20 years ago now and I still have never found a need to own a Glock of my own.

I have shot a couple of lightweight .357Mag revolvers that were just plain unpleasant to shoot as well.

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast