Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vacuum sealing ammo.

Boolit Buddy

Vacuum sealing ammo.

Has any one tried this. I just did five boxes with a food grade vacuum sealer. Just want to keep it from getting tarnished from long term storage.
    I keep trying to stay afloat but can't help from shooting holes in my own boat.

Boolit Buddy

I have been thinking about doing this aswell I would be interested in seeing what others have said about this.
    --ISO ITEMS--
    Contender super 16 barrels

updated as of April 2023

My feedback: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ight=Carbine86

Banned

Can't hurt. Not efficient storage-space wise. It would keep ammo bright and clean. We like our Food Saver but so far only used for food..

Boolit Buddy

I would be curious as to the effect of vacuum on the volatiles in the powder during long term storage. There is always that ether smell that
    wafts out of an ammo can when opened after storage. It may not have the same effect in plastic bags, as in a can that would hold a deeper
    level, over a longer time. Something to ponder..

Boolit Grand Master

Interesting, but guess only time will tell!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master
    I have heard of folks sealing up polished brass with good results , I don't see what this could hurt.
    If you are unwilling to defend even your own lives, then you are like mice trying to 'negotiate' with owls. You regard their ways as 'wrong', they regard you as dinner. John Farnam

Been doing it since the late 80's. A good quality machine goes a long way.
    No , I did not read that in a manual or stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.... it's just the facts Ma'am.

What's the difference between a pig and an Engineer ?
    You can argue with the Pig.

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

When I clean large batches of brass for later use, I vacuum seal it. Works well at keeping brass nice and shiny. The brass needs to be in something else such as a cloth bag or wrapped up in something, the case mouths will cut the vacuum seal bag without some type of protection.
    I'm thinking about doing the same for long term stored ammo.
    I was thinking about getting a bunch of the MTM plastic boxes, 100 rd count for pistol ammo and vacuum sealing them with loaded ammo.
    You can find those boxes on Flebay pretty cheap for a 10 count.
    I use a FoodSaver brand vacuum sealer that I got at Sam's club.
    I'm thinking about sealing 1000 rds each of 9mm, 40 S&W, 45acp in 100 round batches.
    As long as you can keep fresh oxygen and moisture out, corrosion will not happen.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Master
    When my loading room was just inside a shed with no temperature or humidity controlm,
    I used to vacuum seal bricks of primers till I needed them. Never had any issues.
    many where stored for years that way

Boolit Master
    How is it you have ammo to store?

I was thinking, other than odds and ends I don't have any ammo over a year old. Then I remembered the factory ammo I bought before I built my own. I really should do some long term storage in case SHTF, I run out of good ammo and have to shoot factory again.

Thanks!
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    I have done this as well, but won't do so again... unless somebody points out what I did wrong...

I thought this would provide all the protection that everyone is talking about, too... After a year or so of storage, I checked my .308 handloads that had been sealed. Funny, I thought that was a tight seal... but there was air in the bag. No tears in the plastic, so where did the air enter??? It was already in the bag; in the cartridges themselves. Not a lot in each cartridge, but there was 1 atmosphere of pressure in each case when I pulled a vacuum on the bag. So the pressure in the cases seeped past the bullets and primers until the pressure in the bag and in the cases was equal.

It's possible that not all ammo will do that. If the primers are sealed, and there is a tar seal around the bullet (mil-surp ammo), then the case may be sealed well enough to prevent air in the case from escaping. Or maybe your cases just have a better seal than mine... I haven't tried this with commercially loaded ammo, either... (other than .22 LR, I haven't bought any for years...)

YMMV....

Quote Originally Posted by StratsMan View Post
    I have done this as well, but won't do so again... unless somebody points out what I did wrong...

I thought this would provide all the protection that everyone is talking about, too... After a year or so of storage, I checked my .308 handloads that had been sealed. Funny, I thought that was a tight seal... but there was air in the bag. No tears in the plastic, so where did the air enter??? It was already in the bag; in the cartridges themselves. Not a lot in each cartridge, but there was 1 atmosphere of pressure in each case when I pulled a vacuum on the bag. So the pressure in the cases seeped past the bullets and primers until the pressure in the bag and in the cases was equal.

It's possible that not all ammo will do that. If the primers are sealed, and there is a tar seal around the bullet (mil-surp ammo), then the case may be sealed well enough to prevent air in the case from escaping. Or maybe your cases just have a better seal than mine... I haven't tried this with commercially loaded ammo, either... (other than .22 LR, I haven't bought any for years...)

YMMV....
    Sometimes when I seal fish or meat a couple of months later they have air in the bag. I think it's a faulty seal or faulty bag.

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

If you can keep fresh oxygen from entering the bag, it should be good for a long time. Oxidation or corrosion should be non existent.
    For those who do not have vacuum sealers, Ziplock bags work well. Stick a soda straw in the corner of the bag, zip the bag closed all the way up to the straw, suck all the air out, yank the straw out and finish zipping the bag closed.
    This works well on food stuff too.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Buddy

We have noticed the food saver brand bags are better than the cost cutter bags for keeping a good seal. Not sure if anyone else thinks so or not ?

I seal brass and lead inside S and MFRB s from post office and my stuff always arrives complete except for torn cardboard box from the post office. I also think the food saver bags last longer. My wife does outdoor education classes for the local college (camping, canoeing, rock climbing and caving) and we use the vaccum bags for foodstuffs, meats in coolers, and emergency and first aid supplies. They have lots of uses.
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does,he needs it very badly!" Sir Winston Churchill

Moderator Emeritus

I use the generic bags from these guys, buy packs of 100 http://www.goodmans.net/d/204/tilia-...bags-rolls.htm

Well maybe SHTF will happen soon so I don't have to worry about that stuff.

Boolit Grand Master

I see no need as I have lots of ammo cans. And they were designed for long term storage of ammo. I hope you removed the ammo from any cardboard boxes. The boxes themselves are a source of moisture. As to how much is dependent on each box. I have a food saver and use it. But only for items that go in the chest freezer and aren't moved around a lot. I've had to many leak, no visible tears of holes, from moving them around to access food behind them. They can't be trusted IMO. Commercial vacuum sealers are a different story.

bhn22
    Quote Originally Posted by StratsMan View Post

I thought this would provide all the protection that everyone is talking about, too... After a year or so of storage, I checked my .308 handloads that had been sealed. Funny, I thought that was a tight seal... but there was air in the bag. No tears in the plastic, so where did the air enter??? It was already in the bag; in the cartridges themselves. Not a lot in each cartridge, but there was 1 atmosphere of pressure in each case when I pulled a vacuum on the bag. So the pressure in the cases seeped past the bullets and primers until the pressure in the bag and in the cases was equal. YMMV....
    It wasn't the air in the cases. That volume is already accounted for. Your bags leaked, as many do. Nature abhors a vacuum, and plastic vacuum bag seals don't last forever. I've seen some guys iron the bags for a wider sealing area on the top & bottom, or simply double seal the ends, the first time with vacuum of course. Some are successful, but many are not.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	foodsaver.JPG 
Views:	193 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	88578
    You might consider some of these.
    I see them in second hand stores for a couple of bucks.