Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gun Box Project

Yes Art: the one picture with the SMLE is the general idea.

I probably will take some liberties with the final design.

I guess the actual moniker for boxes like these is "Rifle Chest."

You do much better research than I do. Could you see what you can drum up for "Springfield M2 Cal .22 Rifle."

I found one good article by a guy named "Ed Timerson" from "rifleshootermag.com" and it has a fairly large amount of detail, however it is the only meaningful article I can find so far.

This gun I got is in superb condition and I paid a lot less than it's really worth, but boxing it and coming up with the documentation will double it's current value. Especially when I shoot it for another ten years, and then sell it!

Is the box on the floor your's?

What was in it? Was it one of these?

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Guy La Pourque
    That's the beast, Art.

Only the guy I saw had made his own. Time to sit down at the drawing board...thanks for all your help!

I knew it! I figure anyone who has a .45acp SMLE would also have a British Sniper Rifle stashed somewhere.

I was amazed at the prices they are asking for complete drag boxes like yours. Anywhere from $5K to one I saw that was $11K! I guess having all the accessories makes all the difference.

The L42A1's were bringing big money too.

Pretty neat stuff.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

No Randy - not mine - although I'm liking the idea for these just wouldn't have the room to store them. But I'm thinking of making a couple of these "Transit Cases" as they are listed I figure I'll measure up some of my Military rifle and go either either with longest measure
    or make a long and a short - but have changeable/removable center boards set up for each rifle I intend to put in. And I figure if done correctly then can be flipped and used as a rifle holder as well.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    You do much better research than I do. Could you see what you can drum up for "Springfield M2 Cal .22 Rifle."

I found one good article by a guy named "Ed Timerson" from "rifleshootermag.com" and it has a fairly large amount of detail, however it is the only meaningful article I can find so far.

This gun I got is in superb condition and I paid a lot less than it's really worth, but boxing it and coming up with the documentation will double it's current value. Especially when I shoot it for another ten years, and then sell it!

Randy
    Found your thread
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...23#post2495023
    and put in somethings
    je suis charlie

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    Not a bad idea - wonder if roller blade wheels would work well?
    Here's some really fancy cases
    This is kinda close

I was contacted to review and evaluate structural longevity of of this said build by a couple members here.
    As they describe in the video they have loose panels top and bottom. Which is correct. However the panel needs a relief to look correct and to keep the top edge from contacting the when expansion and contraction sets in due to variances of humidity.
    The latches are plainly brief case latches from Ohio Trunk and Bag and are lacking secure integrity and are not to scale considering the massive size and weight of the Walnut case.

Also note that mitered corners are not conducive to structural integrity either.
    One hard bump on any corners and the glues joint will surely be compromised on all the other corners.
    Now I have done several mitered corner boxes for wifeys Silver, but even then I have a jig for the table saw that cuts spline slots in the corners while the box is at a 45 degree angle to the saw.
    The Silver box sits on top of the China buffet and not a considered to be a transportable item as the gun case is.

From the net.
    Attachment 88857

As one can see in the pic I found on the net, splines are glued into the spline cuts to maintain integrity of the joint.
    Last edited by Just Duke; 11-30-2013 at 07:28 PM.

The correct way to build a box is with finger joints or through dovetails. Notice I said through dovetails and not blind or half blind dovetail.
    A finger joint jig is very easy to make for your table saw.

This fella is within the parameters of correct construction until 3 minutes and 45 seconds into the video.......

What will happen when you nail solid wood onto the top of the box like he's doing, the wood now has nowhere to expand and the worst part is when it contracts.
    When the wood contracts and it is fasten down tight the wood will literally tear itself apart. So the top and bottom of the box will split.
    He would have been better off making the top and bottom loose panel or just used a piece of plywood.
    Also note the hardware used comes with some very small screws. Yellow Pine is and never has been conducive to retaining fasteners.
    Longer screws should be added to the mortised in butt hinges and glue in. The latches because of the tension forced on them need to be bolted and washered on. Rivets washered from the back side is the best way to go.
    Last edited by Just Duke; 11-28-2013 at 02:37 PM.

Anyone wants to give me a jingle I'm around.

Thanks for the critique - any idea's about the OP's original idea for parts that can be set up in the box to hold a rifle up for cleaning etc while the box is open?
    je suis charlie

Boolit Bub
    I built one similar to this for my Sharps out of oak pallets. I hunted around and collected a good sized stack of pallets until I was able to sort them out and get the finer pieces of wood off them. You can find some really nice Tiger Striped oak on those used pallets...

Quote Originally Posted by T-Man View Post
    You can find some really nice Tiger Striped oak on those used pallets...
    Probably annular rays from quarter sawing.

Boolit Bub
    The last bastion of liberal thought in Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by DUKE NUKEM View Post
    Anyone wants to give me a jingle I'm around.
    I would like to build a case for an O/U shotgun, do you have recommendations about where I should go for plans/etc?

Just a small amount of info, I want it to be wood (of course) and would like it to fit snugly into the case with some sort of soft cloth (felt like) for a lining. Also, room enough for chokes and their wrenches, but I don't care about ammunition.

By request

Boolit Master
    I'm really amazed at the skills you guys show. This coming from a guy that has to use one of those aluminum guides to make a straight cut. thanks for sharing. Frank

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12