Snyders JerkyRepackboxLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Wideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: Lead Alloy Specific Gravity Calculator

Lead Alloy Specific Gravity Calculator

A discussion on this forum about zinc in COWWs got me concerned. I, being a rooky, had heaped a large stainless steel stock pot with "sorted" wheel weights and smelted them down. There was a crumbling zinc WW among the clips that I skimmed off the top. I was concerned that if the one I found on top was already crumbling maybe there were more beneath the clips that had melted into my alloy. I remembered an article on Los Angeles Silhouette Club's web site on Specific Gravity http://www.lasc.us/Brennan_3-2_BulletCastingMetals.htm) so I followed the directions and my sample came in at 11.06 SG so I am think my alloy is pure COWW. Being a tinkerer I had to build a spread sheet and a calculator to break the Tin and Antimony percentages down to 0.25%. I found another website (http://www.uslink.com/~tom1/specific-gravity.htm) that had a page titled "How to Determine Approximate Specific Gravities of Alloys."

Inspired by Joe Brennan’s article and following the instructions on "How to Determine Approximate Specific Gravities of Alloys” I developed the attached spreadsheet.

I am not sure of the total value of it but it was fun to build and I think it proved that my alloy is zinc free.

If the SG of your COWW alloy calculates in the 11.07 to 11.00 range you can be confident that you have a pure COWW alloy. When you find your estimated alloy the % of tin and antimony can be read directly on the chart. To determine the percent of lead you will have to subtract the amount of tin and antimony from 100.

None of the cells are locked so you can clear out all the data in the grey cells and replace it with your own. You can also clear out all my color formatting. I only put that in so you could easily see the results of the samples I included.

Have fun, if you find any errors please let me know.

Specific Gravity Calculator.zip

Al
    Joshua 1:9

Banned

since joe brennan got that information from this web sight i'll validate it's authenticity.
    I remember that discussion.

Boolit Master
    Nicely done and easy to understand.
    Thanks for sharing this
    Ronald Reagan once said that the most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".
    Download my alloy calculator here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=105952

Quote Originally Posted by bumpo628 View Post
    Nicely done and easy to understand.
    Thanks for sharing this
    Thanks bumpo. I have gotten a lot of use out of the lead Lead Alloy Calculator that you posted here.

Al
    Joshua 1:9

Boolit Master
    I froze the chart headers so that I could navigate without losing the place.
    Also found that it was easy to expand the chart to cover everything.
    Between the S.G. and hardness combined with melting point test you can be almost certain of the alloys' constituents.
    Its a bit more ambiguous with high tin/antimony alloys. You basically choose 2 chart positions of the same values and
    then decide which is the more reasonable. If there exists a fourth element then all bets are off.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by North_of_60 View Post
    Thanks bumpo. I have gotten a lot of use out of the lead Lead Alloy Calculator that you posted here.

Al
    Cheers
    Ronald Reagan once said that the most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".
    Download my alloy calculator here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=105952