Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load DataSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 14" TC 44 mag thinking about 444

444 is nice in a carbine. Still kicks. A pistol is just pain. The 44mag can be loaded hot enough with a longer coal.
    I'm just the welder, go ask him>

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    The problem with the Contender is...it's just not the most ergonomic design. .......I too had a barrel in 45-70. ..... Firing it felt like hitting an oak tree with a cracked baseball bat.
    now That metaphor I can relate to... I now know what that would be like, and my hands are still hurting after reading it
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

Banned
    Don't do it. Most people will hold a 45-70 to trapdoor pressure and certainly no more than 28kcup. When you're done with your 36kcup barrel - having opened the door to 44kcup - the next guy is going to try to hotrod it until that large volume of high pressure peels the chamber open like a banana. Since the barrel is chambered for a .444 the lucky new owner won't think twice about maxing it until it splits along the scope mount screw line.

Boolit Grand Master

I and a few guys at the range once considered going in partners on a 45-70 bbl. We all had Contenders and other guns in 45-70, figured we could buy it and let it make the rounds then put it in the display case to let someone else buy it and start the fun all over again.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Quote Originally Posted by cheetah View Post
    Don't do it. Most people will hold a 45-70 to trapdoor pressure and certainly no more than 28kcup. When you're done with your 36kcup barrel - having opened the door to 44kcup - the next guy is going to try to hotrod it until that large volume of high pressure peels the chamber open like a banana. Since the barrel is chambered for a .444 the lucky new owner won't think twice about maxing it until it splits along the scope mount screw line.
    This is bull. I can do that with a 38 special barrel. Chambering is not a determining factor in responsable reloading.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    Yea Dan, breaks are on my no-no list for me and to shoot next to.
    I heartily agree. I have had a couple T/C barrels with muzzle brakes and hated those things after only a few shots. The upward gasses below your hat off and send all the noise back at you at the same time. I used one in the field on a nice black tail buck exactly one time and would never take it into the field again. I turned down a very nice super 16 45/70 barrel last weekend for a great price last weekend at a gun show due to that muzzle brake.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bearcove View Post
    This is bull. I can do that with a 38 special barrel. Chambering is not a determining factor in responsable reloading.
    I can't determine what you're advocating but chambering is everything and it's unwise to advise a combination that attempts to contain a long column at 44kcup with a .170" wall.

Boolit Buddy
    I have an Encore with 45/70, 375 JDJ, and 450 Marlin barrels. All have muzzle brakes by SSK industries, John is a class act. They will all recoil heavily with full power loads. I just load appropriately and enjoy. The brake makes a lot of difference. I wear head phones if I am going to hunt with one.

Don

Boolit Master

DanWalker, Yes that was the 444 we shot at BBPDS.
    Lots of noise and recoil....dale

Quote Originally Posted by cheetah View Post
    I can't determine what you're advocating but chambering is everything and it's unwise to advise a combination that attempts to contain a long column at 44kcup with a .170" wall.
    I had a 356Win rechambered 35 Rem also,Case dia is same. No problem there. Mike Bellm chambers 44x356 also. Just not needed now that we have Encores. You can run more power than you can hold onto.

It will stretch your frame for sure. But I don't know of anyone blowing a barrel without making a loading mistake. ANY non standard chambering should be treated as a wildcat. If you don't know how to do that what can I say other than stay away from them. Almost any gun can be blown up by poor loading practice.

It is not an idiot proof world. Not my job to make it one either.