MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Repackbox
Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: Questions About Garand Load

Questions About Garand Load

I am starting to cast and reload for my Garand. I've got a Lee c309-200-r mold, gas checks and IMR 4895. After a lot of searching on this site, I am thinking of a starting load of 30.0 gr of the IMR 4895 and work up from there. What would be the max load using IMR 4895? Can someone give me the c.o.l. for this setup? Also, read a lot about H4895, but is IMR 4895 similar enough to use the same load data? Thanks in advance.

Boolit Master
    Increase by 1 grain at a time time until you get reliable function. You should see good results around 33.0. I do.

Boolit Master

I shoot a 311299 in my Garand - 34 grains 4895 is the sweet spot for mine. I load to an even 3.20" - feeds reliably, but still keeps the gas check in the neck...

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    You may need to go as high as 40 grains with water dropped bullets. I did.

What you should really be asking yourself is "what is the MIN load of 4895?"

Accuracy is typically found in the lower end of the operating spectrum of loads for the M1, not the max. You should try to figure out exactly what it takes to just work the action of your rifle and then work up from there for accuracy. With M1s (and probably many others too) it really just depends on the individual gun. I have two and they vary widely on the amount of port pressure required to operate the actions. Most should fall around the 30-35 grain range but they really are all vastly different.

It can seem a bit tedious but if you are patient and do it right, you will likely end up with an accurate load taylor made for your rifle that also piles the brass up in a nice neat pile every time.

Have fun - M1s are awesome!

Thanks for the info. Another question, is a filler a must with this bullet, powder combo?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by mkm View Post
    Thanks for the info. Another question, is a filler a must with this bullet, powder combo?
    Depends on the level of accuracy you want.........A Dacron filler will improve the accuracy and allow functional reliability with a lower powder charge. I highly recommend the Dacron filler if 4895 is the powder of choice.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    I had a batch of 3031 loads with no filler that gave me delayed ignition. You don't want that, talk about flinching. I add Dacron to all medium speeds rifle powders now.

Here are my test loads. Started at 30 gr. Of imr 4895 And went up to 35 gr., 1 gr. Increments. All with dacron filler. Thanks again for the help.
    Last edited by mkm; 12-07-2013 at 12:05 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    .30Cal-Texan is right look for the minium load is what you want in a M1 Garand. Just look on youtube on how many people blew it up. Also you may want to choose a different mould. Its not a huge deal but all M1 loads ive seen were with a 150gr boolit. Personally myself Id choose a different powder and go with 3031 (as mentioned earlier) or honestly SR4759. I don't know how the selection in your area is but SR4759 is plentiful here (expensive) but most don't go after it

Here are my test loads. Started at 30 gr. Of imr 4895 And went up to 35 gr., 1 gr. Increments. All with dacron filler. Thanks again for the help.
    The test loads look great!

As long as those babies chamber, you are certainly on the right track.

Quote Originally Posted by 30CAL-TEXAN View Post
    The test loads look great!

As long as those babies chamber, you are certainly on the right track.
    Thanks, I was wondering if they would chamber too. I manually cycled them through my rifle and they did fine. I will find out how they do on Sat.

On Heaven's Range

[QUOTE=clownbear69;2511615] Its not a huge deal but all M1 loads ive seen were with a 150gr boolit.QUOTE]

You haven't looked very hard.

There is a great deal of load information here for the Garand.

I STRONGLY suggest that

1. You look up the "BobS Load", which uses a 200-grain-plus bullet, and

2. Do a search for "Garand" and "M1" on this site.

The last time I did the "Garand" search, there were FIFTEEN HUNDRED "hits"
    I dare say there will be many different suggestions in that volume of imformation.

NOTE: The "BobS Load" may be found on Page 4 of the "Classics and Stickies" forum. It's very much worth the effort to find it.
    Last edited by BruceB; 12-09-2013 at 10:35 PM.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Well I tried my test rounds today and 30 to 32 gr. Loads were to light as the rifle didn't cycle. It would eject the brass, bit not feed the next round. The rifle started cycling with 33.0 gr. Of 4895. So now I'm going to load 30 or so rounds with 33 gr. And .5 gr of dacron filler and see if they all cycle like they should and check for accuracy. Checked the gas tube and didn't see any signs of leading. Those are some sweet shooting loads.

Boolit Master