RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Wideners
Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: C'mon In Lurkers.

But but but....
    All my questions are answered, just waiting to get clicked on and read. If I start axing all the questions again folks would get tired of me axing over and over and over.
    And then they would..........
    ANd then...
    and, and, and

Seriously the folks on here are excellent. So many of my questions are indeed already answered in existing posts.
    Seeings how I am just starting out I am sure I will have questions that I won't search for.
    So look out.

Boolit Mold
    Well I guess this thread is as good as any to start posting.

I've been lurking here since this board started, and at the old shooters.com before. I just never had much to say, so I never bothered to post.

I've been casting for a very long time, but I don't go at it with a passion.( It's been a couple of years since I last fired a rifle with a cast bullet.)

All my casting equipment is Lyman, mostly because that's what is available here in Canada. I use 378248 in 38-55 and .375h&h, 323470 in 8x57, and 311284 in .303 British. As I type this I recall the last cast I shot was in a Krag in 6.5mm I don't recall the bullet number, but it was the common Lyman one that is still available.

I don't imagine I'll contribute a great deal, but I though I'd register and post a bit just so you all know there's one more person on your side. This is a great board and a great online resource. Thank you for providing it.

Boolit Man

great site

i wish i had found this site sooner,i would have made fewer mistakes. thanks guys for all the info and laughs. now i gotta go shooting so i'll have something to reload

I personally have been very impressed as to the wealth of knowledge I have gotten so far from this Forum........

Boolit Man

No Longer Lurking

Howdy fellas,

I finally registered today after a few research sessions here.

I've still not taken the plunge and bought any casting equipment, but plan to very soon as the cost and aggravation of buying component bullets and factory ammo has finally gotten to me.

I look forward to many hours of annoying the cast b00llit gurus with newbie questions, the first of which would be how to actually get a local tire store to part with their precious wheelweights.

Boolit Mold
    Greetings and Salutations to All.

Great site here. I have learned a lot by just reading the posts.
    Wonderful wealth of information.

I am new to casting, but do a bit of reloading for rifles and hand guns and shotguns.

Dick.

Boolit Man
    OK I'll Just say hi.

I'm new to the forum because I was referred here from another site because I just puchased some new casting equipment and want to learn more before I dive into casting my own. I puchased a Lee 4-20 furnace C309-180-r mold Lee sizer kit .30 cal gas checks and a Lee universal case expander die. I'm shootin a 15" 30.06 encore,a 21"30-30 contender and a model 99 savage in 300 savage. I want to hunt with my boolits and need as much info as I can get. I will be casting with wheel weights and I will be puchasing the Lyman cast book shortly as per suggestions from other folks on here.

Randy,The Birddog.

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

the first of which would be how to actually get a local tire store to part with their precious wheelweights.
    I just stop and ask em. I scored another 5-gallon bucket full the other day. The owner told me to stop back by every week and pick up some more. I did give him 5 new buckets. The bad part was he had at least another 300-400 lbs on the floor that he wouldn't part with. He said that he had to keep some to send back to the warehouse. I stopped at another place yesterday and the guy told me that they had just gave all their WW to some woman the day before. Dang, I just missed it by a day. I did get the few that they had from one day.

Boolit Mold
    I was refered to this site from a member at THR after posting about my newest endeavor, casting bullets, I mean boolits.

So far the only thing I have acomplished is to aquire wheel wieghts and recovered lead from the back stop of my local indoor range. I did manage to cast them into 2lb ingots that look just like cupcakes. 140lbs WW, 95lbs recovered range lead, and about 15lbs of what I understand to be pure lead from mag stick on WW.

My goal is to start with 45cap boolits for the learning curve, as these seem to be the most forgiving round I load for. Then I work at the 9mm, 40s+w, and if all goes well some rifle boolits.

Thanks in advance, Ron

In Remembrance

At any given time, this site seems to have more 'guests' than members online.

Hey, you 'lurky' guys! Yeah, YOU!
    Sign up! Whether Master or Newbie, you'll be welcome here with this great bunch of informative folks. Tell us your stories and jokes. Ask your questions. Relate your experiences. We really want to hear it all.

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

Keep'em coming!
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

http://www.cafepress.com/castboolits

castboolits@gmail.com

Boolit Mold
    Lurkin for a little while. Newly registered. Been playin around with casting since December. Weather is just starting to get nice enough to cast outside in Fairbanks.

Great site, lots to learn

Nash

Boolit Mold
    Hey Fellas,

I've been lurking around here for a few weeks. I've just gotten into casting bullets for my Marlin GG in 45-70. Acquired a mold from Ranch Dog a few weeks ago, & have cast around 200 bullets. Got a mold for my 1911 on order also.
    The high prices of bullets have pretty much made me get into bullet casting.
    Back in june of last year, i bought a box of 500, 452-230 lead bullets to reload for my 1911. I paid $38.00 for them. Went back to get some more in Dec. and WOW, they were $75.00.- I didn't buy them.

I know i'll have a few questions.

Thanks,

Eric Lambert

One more thing. Has anyone told ya'll that you're spelling "Bullet" wrong? LOL

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Welcome aboard, guys. Keep the questions coming. That's what makes this place interesting!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

Has anyone told ya'll that you're spelling "Bullet" wrong?

read my signature for WHY.
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

http://www.cafepress.com/castboolits

castboolits@gmail.com

OK, I have been a lurker here, but I am also signed up and a member, but I read more than write or add commentary to this site. I have been casting, loading and throwing lead now for about 35 plus years and I still do not consider myself an expert. Between casting for my true love of BPCR Silhouette and all my other pistol, round ball and rilfes I couldn't even think about adding up all the pounds of lead and tin I have used. The best part, there is almost always something new to learn and each year I add something to my casting techniques. Reading these forums, talking to other avid shooters and experimentation are always interesting in learning new things. What a hobby to have time to do.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by 45nut View Post
    read my signature for WHY.
    Oh, Ok. I get it now. That's the way folks in "Orygun" spell it.

not just in "Orygun" but here in "Ouisconsin" also, a boolit is cast, a bullet is a full lengh gas check swaged projectil ...makes total sense to me and others. fishhawk

Boolit Mold
    Very good explaination, Fishhawk. When you put it that way, it should be spelt differnt..... Full length swaged GC = bullet, Cast from a mold = boolit.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by HABCAN View Post
    At any given time, this site seems to have more 'guests' than members online.

Hey, you 'lurky' guys! Yeah, YOU!
    Sign up! Whether Master or Newbie, you'll be welcome here with this great bunch of informative folks. Tell us your stories and jokes. Ask your questions. Relate your experiences. We really want to hear it all.

OK! OK! I just signed up today, been lurking for a while. Been casting for 25 years but need to learn more. Maybe I'll have a few tidbits to add but it doesn't seem likely at this time.
    Joe

Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast