Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationRepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 17 of 41 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: C'mon In Lurkers.

Boolit Grand Master

I am extremely happy to see a woman casting bullets and reaping the benefits.

I have shot my share of black powder (I live only 45 minutes away from Friendship, In. home of the National Muzzle Loading Ass'n and have competed there many times over the years).

Glad to have you aboard!

Dale53

Thanks Dale53

Never ben to Friendship but want to see it someday.

Quote Originally Posted by Linstrum View Post
    Hey, OldSchool, hello! Ya got me curious now, just what cartridges are THEY telling you are obsolete? In my opinion if ya got a cartridge with powder, primer, and a boolit in it, plus a gun it will SAFELY fire in, then it ain't obsolete!
    rl867
    I agree with you, but finding those items (especially already assembled) can be difficult. For those of us who never reloaded before, THEY are the folks who put together those four items (and then put them on the shelf with extreme prices...). If THEY don't (regularly) make it, then it's "obsolete."

My favorite is my Winny Model 94 32sp, that I've had since my more tender years. In fact, I've found more than one "well-respected" gun store owner who had to look it up, complete with a skeptical look ("I've never heard of it!"). When we do find it, it's well over $1.25 per round.
    Good muzzle energy and a real "kick" to shoot. I've read about it once being used for large game; I've used it effectively for large varmints.

We also have Garands that we'll have to work harder to find food for in the near future.

Sort of like finding parts for our old Mustangs. A lot of the time we just have to make or adapt the parts ourselves. (A whole 'nother subject.)
    Life is for Learning!

Boolit Grand Master

I was a teenager when I figured out that I could not shoot as much as I wanted unless I DID reload. I knew NO ONE who reloaded. My father encouraged me (he was a real gunny but had never reloaded, either.

I started with revolver cartridges, got into casting, and have never looked back. Half the fun I have had in this life would never have happened without casting bullets and reloading.

I am NEVER dependent on the "other guy" for my shooting needs. I CREATE them. Of course, I have to have cases and primers along with powder, but they are available in bulk and I store enough for several years of shortages. It is all within your own personal control. When I started I "didn't have a pot to pee in" so don't talk to me about not having enough money. You start slow, buy wisely, and generally grow. It's amazing what you can accumulate with a modest investment when you have a plan and work your plan.

Good luck!
    Dale53

Dale, I'm pretty sure I understand your point, and I agree. In this family, we are considered by others as "different" only because we do things that most don't (but they later tell us they'd like to).

Interestingly, we've been out of firearms for a very long time, because one of us just couldn't get up the interest, even though she was a farm girl.
    (I'm ducking as I write this. )

One year ago (almost to the day), she suddenly became interested. I suspect it's because both of her kids have had several tours overseas, and are expert in firearms she'd only heard of.

To make a long story short, in that past year the rust has been taken off the old guns, we've shot, trained on and bought firearms we never expected to ever touch, and we have various NRA certifications. (Think pent-up energy waiting for release.) Clearly, that's only the beginning. She's interested in reloading, as well!

I'm proud of my girl (DynaBlue on this and other forums)!
    Life is for Learning!

Boolit Grand Master

I would be the first to "welcome you back to the world of casting and reloading". It's a GOOD thing to have your significant other involved, also. I have taken a goodly share of small game (rabbits, squirrels, and grouse, for example) as well as several deer with my own cast bullets in handguns. I have competed at the National level with muzzle loaders, schuetzen rifles, big bore, IPSC and Three gun matches, all with my reloads both jacketed and cast.

I have explored our natural environment by canoe, back pack, and horse along with my firearms when possible. I have had a full life by most any reasonable measure (not the least of which has been my wife of fifty two years along with three wonderful children). My kids all grew up next to guns and all are competent with firearms.

It has been GOOD!

FWIW
    Dale53

Dale, I suspect you should accept the appellation of "EXPERT"!
    Life is for Learning!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool View Post
    Dale, I suspect you should accept the appellation of "EXPERT"!
    Nah-h-h! That's a word I don't care for. Let's just say, "I have been around". Further, I have been gifted with many fine friends who were willing to share their expertise.

Thanks for the kind words, nonetheless!

Dale53

Boolit Master

Hey hey HEY!

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool View Post
    (Think pent-up energy waiting for release.)
    Watch it, I think that's a different thread!

Speaking of threads, does this thread kinda make 45Nut a Castboolits-pimp?

PS: Welcome! Loads of info here, and goodies, check out swappin' & sellin'.

Thanks, Squib, guess I really have to watch my metaphors!
    Life is for Learning!

Boolit Master
    No problem, it's all in my mind! Now if I could find it...

Boolit Bub
    I just looked at my meager statistics, and thought I should say hello. I registered 3 years ago on this very day. I have spent hours here reading, as all of my questions have already been answered in other posts. Thanks for the site, and Merry Christmas.

Boolit Mold

Howdy

I've been absorbing info here for a little while and thought I'd better step up and say howdy. I've only been reloading about 4 or 5 years and starting casting a year or so ago. I've been shooting for.....well, over 50 years and wish I would've started rolling and making my own 40 years ago. The more I learn the more I realize how little I know!

Boolit Mold

post number one

Alright. I'll quit lurking and come on out. But, nobody make any sudden moves. I'm skittish!
    I dicided to start reloading and casting boolits again after a 7 year haitus. All would be well except most of my equipment and components are missing. A couple of weeks ago I tried to cast some .44 cal. 200 gr. rnfp boolits and the results were dismal. The quality was bad and production was slow. I started to melt them back down but decided to lube 'em , load 'em, and send them off down range. I use them in .44 spcl. cases, loaded with a .7 cc Lee Dipper full of Unique ( I haven't found my powder scales) for an avg. vel. of 745 fps. ( Yep. I did find my Chronograph!) I figure that's just fine for plinking and pest control. This seems to be a great site with lots of helpful folks and I enjoy coming here. Thanks.

Boolit Mold
    This is only my second post (sorry been too busy reading) but I have to say I'm damn impressed with this site, just learning reloading and casting but I'm loving it already! I cast about 500 boolits on Saturday and shot my first reloads on Sunday and so far so good, I can see where this might get addicting but at least I'm staying out of trouble! Thanks for all the great info guys & gals!

Boolit Master
    Hello to All,

I received two Lee melting pots as Christmas presents (wife bought a 220V one by mistake, so she bought the second one).

I have cast fishing sinkers before, so I am going to look for some molds for my .41 action express pistols, and probably a mold for .32-20/.32 H&R...then all the rest. I have already have on the way one of the infamous Lyman 357466 molds with which to tinker.

I have a third of a bucket of wheelweights, all the lead from the old X-ray room at the hospital, and a dozen bars of 50/50 solder. I just need the molds (and handles, just so you don't wonder!), some lube, and a method of sizing, and I will be off and running.

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

Keep dropping in folks!
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

http://www.cafepress.com/castboolits

castboolits@gmail.com

Boolit Buddy
    I'm another newbie dropping in. I just started reloading in the last month so I can have reasonably priced ammo for my .42 Russian Berdan. I also want to shoot cast boolits in my .44 Russian revolver and my .43 Egyptian rolling block.

So far, things are going well with the Berdan. I shot my first reloads last week.

I have already learned a lot here and plan to spend lots of time looking over old posts to learn a lot more.

This is a great forum.

Boolit Mold
    Hi, long time lurker here. just got back into firearms from a many year hiatus, but back with a vengeance now. I cast for 5 different calibers, but still consider myself a novice. mainly here to learn, and share where I can!

I usually cast outside using a propane burner and cast iron pot. Want to move to a furnace. neighbors think i am strange with the casting and the beer making, but don't really care.

Thanks!

Boolit Man
    Hello, My name is Mike. I've lurked here some. My main interest here has been reloading. I shoot 90% cast boolits. I have gained an interset in casting and hope to learn here. Thanks for having me.