Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
WidenersInline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 12 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: C'mon In Lurkers.

Boolit Mold
    new guy here too, just wish i knew enough to ask some questions, seems i dont know enough yet, but plan on starting with a lee 6 mold cavity for 9mm.

Just got 2 new molds in the mail today. That makes 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Linstrum View Post
    Hi, Dead Eye, welcome, you found "The Place".

For Dead Eye, and you other lurkers out there as well, this is the place for getting answers to questions and learning the ins and outs of casting and how to shoot 'em after you cast 'em.

We've got chemists, machinists, mechanical and design engineers, physicists, mathematicians, and many, many other professional types among our ranks here, but more important than those guys we've got a whole bunch more who know what's going on about how cast boolits work!

I think you can find some place here where you will fit right in, and if you can't then we'll make somebody move over so you will!

even buckweet's ?

Boolit Man
    well i figure its about time to come on in. been lurking about for a few weeks. im pretty new to reloading in general. i just started reloading about 2 months ago. i reloaded about 1500 rounds of plated bullets (rainier and x-treme) then i stumbled across this site one day and decided to see if my gun would like cast so i bought a box of comercial cast bullets and they shot as well if not better than the plated or jacketed variety. so that sold me. then i started snagging up all the wheel weights i could find. came up empty after a few days of searching but hit the jackpot a week later when i went to buy some snow tires for my car. got 3 5 gal buckets fo free guy said he recycled them but would much rather give em to someone who could make better use of em. so i smelted them down and now i have around 400# of ingots from clip ons and 50# from the stick ons. figuring i now have enough lead to last a good while i ordered up a lee 10# bottom pour a rcbs thermometer a lee 6 banger mold and some liquid alox. from midway. that all got here thursday morning. i cleaned up the mold smoked it and went to town. the first couple of drops didnt turn out too well but after she warmed up it was dropping shiny new boolits at the cyclic rate made up about 200 before i knew it. i weighed and measured them and to my disapointment they were all measuring at .406 give or take a thousandth ( it was a 401 mold) so i figured it was just dirty or had some lead or somthing caught up somewhere so i took her apart and re cleaned it with mineral spirits and an old toothbrush and gave it the once over with a magnafying glass. found a few tiny burrs, cleaned them up. and then i put it back together and gave it another shot. cast another 100 boolits and measured them all. still averageing out to .406 some as much as .408 so i went online and ordered the lee sizer kit. that should be here by the 9th. so in the mean time i cast up and lubed another 2000 boolits. (its rather addicting) cant wait for that sizer to get here so i can load up some rounds to go shootin with. thanks for all the good info guys
    http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/a...91101-0006.jpg

Boolit Man
    heh sorry that was so long kinda got carried away

stephen perry

Never a Lurker

A couple years ago I was looking for Cast info. I have cast for 47 years since I was 12. I have allot of equipment and many buckets and bars of lead. Cast has always been something I do every year as a filler of whatever shooting game or hunting I do.

Didn't know a couple years ago there were Cast Forums until I punched Cast Bullet in my search. Didn't see Cast Boolits first off wish I had you have an excellent Forum with so many areas to read and write on. Thanks to the other guys Forum but this is where I really wished I had started my Cast info search.

There is knowledge here among shooters and casters that I really appreciate. I want to only be a small part here.

Stephen Perry
    Angeles BR

I've been a member for a little while now, however, life's troubles have kept me off line preventing me from lurking lol. In other forums, I lurk, but when I have a question, then I start posting.

Hey, buckweet! YUP! You bet, we'll make room for ya!

rl680
    Last edited by Linstrum; 11-30-2009 at 11:57 PM.
    ~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+
    There is no such thing as too many tools, especially when it comes to casting and reloading.
    Howard Hughes said: "He who has the tools rules".

Safe casting and shooting!

Linstrum, member F.O.B.C. (Fraternal Order of Boolit Casters), Shooters.com alumnus, and original alloutdoors.com survivor.

Boolit Mold
    Been lurking long enough! I've already gotten a wealth of info. from you folks. Figured it was time for me to join in.
    I'm a long time hunter and have been reloading for pistols for 16 or 17 years. Last year when ammo. went into short supply, I dug all of my equipment back out, bought some new manuals, a slew of new dies, and started experimenting with every caliber of pistol that I owned. I worked with mostly jacketed boolets, but had good succes with some hard cast bullets that I bought from a castmaster that I first found at a gun show. His prices were right, and the bullets were very accurate in everything I loaded them in. From 9mm up to some hotter loads in a friends .45 colt, which were 300g swc.
    My plan to help make winter pass quicker this year is to start loading for rifle. With none other than the .35 remington to start. That's a pretty popular caliber on here for cast bullets, and the poeple who believe in the old/ under rated caliber like I do, are passionate about it.
    I am by no means an expert at anything, but hopefully I can return a favor from my experiences to someone who is having a similar experience! Believe me... I've had a couple!
    (especially loading ww296 in that .45 colt!)
    Sorry to be long winded....but thanks for having me onboard!

Thumbs up Lurker's

I guess that is what I have become...I started in this hobby back in the 60's and have learned and enjoyed doing so. I hesitate to add my two cents worth because of the knowledge that you folks present. Hard to come up with something better or a trick that has not been mentioned. Therefore, if I have a question I will ask it. In the meantime I will observe.
    ooooooow! I hate earth wobble...

Boolit Mold
    New guy checking in. Lurking about 1 month, casting about 2 months, reloading about 1.5 years.
    Casting 9mm, .380, .357, 30-30.
    Using a old cast iron pot for cleaning up WW, a small cast iron pot with dipper to pour into molds. So far only have Lee molds, but they seam to be working fine.

Thanks for everyone hard work and wealth of info. Learn something new each time I log in.

Boolit Mold

read

I read posts here almost daily.
    i seldom have much to say.
    I cast for 45/70,, 50/90,, and others.
    I really enjoy reading what you have to say.
    I never have experienced a lot of problems, but can read through the posts and usualy find an answer for any i have.
    I am guilty of lead mining, havent got it down to a science yet but get all i need.
    i designed a special rake for mining the pistol berm at the local range.
    right now i am obsessed with shooting an 8 mm mauserwith lead boolits.
    i like really big boolits,,, as evidenced by my love for 45/70-,,,50/90 sharps.
    Anyone know the biggest boolet ever for an 8mm mauser?

MP

many ponies
    We did a group buy for a 250gn 8mm that works very well in 8x57 milsurps.

many ponies,
    If you like the less common calibers you'll find Mid-South Shooters Supply to be your friend. They frequently have the 8mm Maximum available as well as it's slightly smaller brother the 8mm Carabiner. IIRC, Buckshot broke a military stock getting too enthusiastic with the Maximum. They also have goodies like the 6.5 Cruise Missile and the .22 Bator on perpetual backorder......If you just need a slightly larger diameter on an 8mm, Lee has a stock C.329-205-1R for those .326/.327 barrels.
    Rick

Boolit Mold
    bullshop:
    Thanks for reply. Now your talking my language, 250 grainer sounds like honey tastes to a bear. I supose the group buy is a done thing? Can you tell me more, boolit design, paper patch, bore rider?
    The only mold I have for 8mm is a real old ideal 323470 that I have had a long time, but never used.
    I am presently putting a turk in 8mm on a laminated stock to use for cast.
    thanks
    MP

Boolit Mold
    Hornet:
    Thanks for reply, Is the 8mm maximum the same boolit as bulshop jr. spoke of? (250 gr).
    I am going over to midsouth and snoop around
    As i told bullshop jr, i only have a old Ideal mold 323470 at this time.
    I had another mil surp mauser but put a 308 barrell on it.
    I'm really looking forward to getting online with a heavy 8mm, but don't want to break stocks or shoulders.. ha
    Thanks again
    MP

many ponies,
    The 8mm Maximum is listed as 225 gr but frequently runs up to 250. You might want to check the throating using that 323470 (a fine boolit in it's own right). That was designed around loose, worn military chambers and there have been reports of chambering problems. Do a search by post under 8mm Maximum and also check this:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=11820
    Rick

Boolit Buddy

I'm guilty of lurking in the shadows....but now I've seen the light!

I've been reloading for about 30+ years, ever since I could pull the handle on grandpa's press with out mashing his fingers.

I just started shooting cast boolits in the past year since I bought a Magnum Research BFR 45-70 ( first handgun). My new love is a H&R Buffalo Classic 45-70, the 45-70 is just so mush fun to shoot.

I'm in central Minnesota so the winters get kinda long so all the signs from the shooting gods point me to a need to cast boolits.

I haven't done any posting for the simple fact that there is sooooo much info here to absorb that I haven't had time.

My son and I rang in the New Year at the range with a chilly temp of -4* yesterday. The thermometer dipped to -28* this morning so I officially have time.

I am just starting to collect materials and equipment to start casting so I will have a lot of questions in the very near future.

Boolit Grand Master

wiersy111;
    Welcome to the "Wild Bunch"!

The information is here, that is for SURE!

I also suggest you get a copy of Lyman's "Cast Bullet Handbook" - read it twice and keep it handy as questions come up. I have been casting, reloading, and shooting a LOT for about sixty years and I am still VERY active in this sport. I find that I am still learning...

Dale53

Boolit Buddy

As soon as I get to a town with more then a gas station, post office, and a bar, the Lyman book is on the top of my shopping list.

Page 12 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast