RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWideners
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3132333435363738394041

Thread: C'mon In Lurkers.

Boolit Mold
    I joined the forum a little over a week ago. I just recently decided to take the plunge and start casting my own bullets too. I have been hand loading for over a decade now. The biggest motivation for me to finally do it is the fact that I have 6 rifles that I have built on 1893 Mauser actions are all in the same chambering 7x57mm Mauser. One is built with a Green Mountain sporter barrel that I bought from Midway USA about 6 years ago before they were discontinued. The Other 5 still have the military stepped barrels that came with the receivers and all have good rifling. I slugged them all and the bore diameters were from .2846 to the largest measurement being .2859 and a dark bore. I have shot all of them and all group very well with the 175 grain jacketed bullets. It is just getting too costly to keep feeding them jacketed bullets and I want to extend the life of the barrels. All of them were brought back to life from nothing more than barreled actions and nothing else.
    The mold I'm waiting for is for casting 135 grain pills and should be here tomorrow. I have approximately 200 pounds if lead to start with. I have other rifles that have other chambering's that I'm sure that I'll cast for. I thought it would be best to start with the 7x57mm because the brass is getting harder and harder to find. Additionally I have so many to feed.
    Last edited by Jeremy McLean; 01-03-2023 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Adding to it.

Welcome, you will find a wealth of information on this site. Most questions can be answered here, just read and ask as need be.

I wonder why after having success with your 175 grain jacketed bullets you decided to go with a 135 grain cast boolit?

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

been a lurker for 11 years - site proved invaluable to me - started posting in 2022 when most of the other forums i participated in were taken over by media firms with uncaring administrators, moderators, + volunteers - keep up the good work - thanks for having me -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by slim1836 View Post
    Welcome, you will find a wealth of information on this site. Most questions can be answered here, just read and ask as need be.

I wonder why after having success with your 175 grain jacketed bullets you decided to go with a 135 grain cast boolit?

Slim
    I went with the 135 grain mold because it was available and on sale at the time for a good price. Besides I want to experiment with lighter bullets. Casting seems to be the best way for me to feed my 6 Spanish ladies a steady inexpensive diet. With the added benefit of keeping pressures down extending the barrel life by at least 2 fold. When the opportunity comes around to get the 145 grain and 160 grain molds I will. This is what I can do for now. I'll keep the jacketed bullets on hand for grocery shopping.

Boolit Bub

Enjoy the forum Jeremy lots of info sort through cheers EH

Boolit Grand Master
    Welcome aboard.

Jeremy, you'll love this site. Lots of great people willing to help. Welcome aboard.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Mold
    I'd like to thank you all for the warm welcome to the forum. I recognize some of the members screen names from some of the other forums I haunt. I look forward to participating in a lot of threads.

Jeremy

Jeremy, you might want to grocery shop with cast boolits. I firmly subscribe to the theory that fat meplats and a cast boolit kill better than jacketed. PLUS, if the intended game decides to take a hike after being hit, the cast almost always exits and leaves a trail that a blind man could follow.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Mold
    I’ve been lurking about 2 years. Began reading everything I could find about casting. Lyman Cast handbook was a good start, you tube videos, especially Fortune Cookie 45, and a few others were helpful. The best printed material I found was from Glen Fryxell. I realized at the time I just had to jump in and learn from mistakes and experience. I’ve been casting for about 18 months, and shoot approx 200-300 home cast bullets monthly I joined Cast Boolits and the Cast Bullet Assoc. I really appreciate all the info on this forum. It has helped me immensely. Now I am awaiting my first PID from Hatch, and for the temps here to reach 40 so I can go into my unheated garage and play.
    Last edited by dankathytc; 03-15-2023 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Spell check

Boolit Mold
    I've been lurking this site for about a year. Not much to say because there is such a wealth of information here. Cast my first bullets with my dad last friday on his equipment. Now I want my own setup. I got about 20 lbs of wheel weights from work and I have permission to go to the locla Sheriff's department shooting range to mine the backstop. Glen Fryxel's book was invaluble. Why doesn't he self-publish it on Amazon?

Boolit Mold
    I've been a member since 2017.And I've been casting for 12 or so years starting out on the 38 special. Since then I've been doing 9 mm, 45 ACP, 40 S&W, 500 S&W magnum.
    The reason I joined this form in the first place was to help me solve problems and it certainly helped a lot in that.
    Anyway I've gotten to a point in my life where I just don't shoot so much anymore and I've got more cast bullets than I can shake a stick at the same with molds and equipment so I'm making this post because I want to start getting rid of some of the excess reloading Stuff that I've accumulated over the years. I really don't like GunBroker or Craigslist so I'm not going to try to list anything there but after I get a few posts done here I'm going to start listing most of my stuff for sale so that's why I'm making this post now.

Boolit Mold
    Been a member for a little over a year but I don’t check in as much as I should. I don’t cast my own but like to use commercial cast bullets. Currently trying to work up some loads for some Kieth style bullets from GT that will be good in my 7.5” 454 casull revolver but not too fast in my 92 puma.

This has been a great source of knowledge for me.

I've been here a while but was away for a while and now i am back and I know my 2 cents aren't worth a penny but I have lots of spare change. lol

Boolit Buddy
    Not sure if I replied to this before but hell, I lurked , sometimes for years, on many sites before joining. That was in the early days of the interweb!

Boolit Mold
    Hello all,

My name is Steven Rogers, henceforth the moniker of Capt America. I have been reloading since the late 90's for 9mm, 357Sig, 38/357 Mag, 40, 45acp, 303 British, 308, 6.5 Creedmore. I cast my own bullets for all my handgun rounds, have never casted for rifle. I also power coat my bullets, but I am finding that its easier to just go and buy bullets, either cast or jacketed. I only have a lee furnace and a bunch of Lee molds, but they work for me.

I joined to possibly get back into casting. I love to shoot over a 1k rounds/month, so I am shooting a lot and it gets expensive to feed my babies.

Looking to glean as much info as I can on this site....

Boolit Mold
    Well after seeing the above post by CaptAmerica I'm compelled to post seeing as it's my second post also.

I first got into reloading around 05 and casting a couple of years after that for the simple fact bullets are expensive. I'd order a couple three hundred load them and shoot them in a day then have to wait til the next payday reorder rinse and repeat.

Starting with my .44s I'd tinker with casting after reading and applying the info from the posters on this website. I was having a great time and decided to expand to bottleneck cartridges for my rifles. Apparently I was one of the lucky ones referred to in the sticky by Molly I believe cause it went smoothly with only one instance where I had to deal with some leading in my mod 94 30-30 but after a tweak or two cured that problem.

I especially love the giggle loads as do my daughters and their families, thanks guys!

BTW my name isn't Steve those are my initials and I'm here in America USA.

I went back and checked it was the sticky by Recluse.
    Last edited by cap_n_america; 11-12-2023 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Added info

Boolit Mold
    I'm new here... just going to see what it's all about!

Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3132333435363738394041