Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingLee Precision
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Search ? on progressive press

Boolit Buddy

Search ? on progressive press

I think I've seen it here before but had no luck searching. I think someone posted a head to head comparison of the big 3 progressive presses, any help locating would be great. I'm tired of fooling with the loadmaster, the piggyback I'll keep but I'm thinking I want a real progressive. Thanks
    Noli Me Tangere

Boolit Master

I'll start. Dillon.

Seriously though... does anyone near you have a Dillon or Hornady LNL you could use? So much is subjective...

I have used every Dillon model made in the last 30 plus years. I have two RL550Bs on my bench. They are my favorite presses. I know folks who have two XL650s and even more who have two (or more) Super 1050s.

How fast can you afford to reload? Do you need a primer pocket swage on the press? Like I said, lots of subjective here.

Good luck with your decision.
    Last edited by Alvarez Kelly; 11-09-2013 at 12:00 AM.

je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Don't mess around: Dillon 650XL. I fought it for a long time, tried LNL, tried Lee, returned them both and bought the Dillon - never looked back. I think a lot depends on whether you want to reload or tinker with your press. I wanted ammo.

Jeff

I am very happy with my Dillon 550b. I have added accessories such as roller handle, strong mount and case feeder. I cannot see using anything else.

Banned

I dont think ive ever seen a totaly bias free test. Ive also never seen a test by someone thats loaded a 100k on each to really find out which is best. I own both and have loaded a ton on both. Personaly if you can afford it id go dillon but then thats just one persons opinion. Your best bet is going to be what alvarez said. Find something with both that will let you do a trial run and make your own decision. to many of those comparisons are made by people that bought one of the two and sure arent going to admit to the world they made a mistake. Its kind of like asking a guy thats drove fords all his life to compare a new ford truck to a chev. Your going to get biased comparisons like that or a comparison from someone that doesnt have any experience, maybe loaded 50 rounds on each to make his decision.
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 11-12-2013 at 07:36 AM.

Have 4 dillons on my benches. Also love the dillon dies... You have to research like everyone else said.
    High Hook

Boolit Master
    I own 550 and 650 Dillons. The 650 is over kill but very convenient and outrageous for caliber conversions cost. Most always (and I should have taken my own advice on this ) the 550 satisfies most reloaders needs for a life time.

The LNL is now improved and falls between the 550 and 650 Dillons on features and price. Its worth a look as a its a very fine progressive press.

If you want a non indexing progressive: its the 550
    If you want a indexing progressive: LNO or 650

If the tie is between LNL and 650: look at features and decide. Both will serve you well. If the tie is between 550 and LNL: features again and what you get for your money, either will serve you well.

Yes: I drank the Blue Kool Aid and am well served by Dillons but that LNL would have been as good a choice as the 650 for the features that I sought.

The "big three", do you mean the 550, 650 and 1050? What do you want to know.

Boolit Master

If you're just loading pistol ammo....Dillon Square Deal B....none better...I have two.

Boolit Grand Master

I remembered why I haven't bought a Dillon after looking at their site today. It would cost me $900 in case feeders alone because I need all four. And full caliber conversions for the 650 w/ toolheads and powder measure cost $200. I load for nine different cartridges currently so that adds up to.....a lot of money

One of these days I might pull the trigger on one but that's a pretty big amount of money.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    I remembered why I haven't bought a Dillon after looking at their site today. It would cost me $900 in case feeders alone because I need all four. And full caliber conversions for the 650 w/ toolheads and powder measure cost $200. I load for nine different cartridges currently so that adds up to.....a lot of money

One of these days I might pull the trigger on one but that's a pretty big amount of money.
    I'm confused. Why would you need $900 in case feeders? Just change out the plate. One casefeeder and 3 extra casefeeder plates would do. I get about $335, if you bought all shiny and new.

I keep popping into these threads to say.... "Check out the RCBS Pro 2000".
    Best priming system in the business in my opinion. 6 Stations. VERY EASY to convert calibers and primer size.
    It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Alvarez Kelly View Post
    I'm confused. Why would you need $900 in case feeders? Just change out the plate. One casefeeder and 3 extra casefeeder plates would do. I get about $335, if you bought all shiny and new.
    Yeah, that was my fault. I overlooked the plates and thought I had to buy whole units. At the end of the day it's the $200 caliber change that keeps me away from it. Even if you don't buy the tool heads it's more than I want to spend.

Boolit Mold

I'm an oddball but I wound up replacing my 550 with a pro 1000 and never looked back. I had to learn it and made some modifications but I sold the 550 and have well over 10000 rounds and counting on it
    HAWG KILLER

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Stihl View Post
    I keep popping into these threads to say.... "Check out the RCBS Pro 2000".
    Best priming system in the business in my opinion. 6 Stations. VERY EASY to convert calibers and primer size.
    You like those priming strips? How many have you damaged/worn out?
    je suis charlie

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Frosted Boolits

What about Star Universals??? Ever wonder why the Dillon 1050 is such a great press????

I kinda go the best of both worlds...I love my 2 Star Universals and my 2 Hornady LNL APs. All 4 have case feeders. All 4 run smoothly and assemble great ammunition.
    My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iscoyotehunter

An armed society is a polite society.

the BB knows

Quote Originally Posted by IllinoisCoyoteHunter View Post
    What about Star Universals??? Ever wonder why the Dillon 1050 is such a great press????
    http://www.starreloaders.com/faqs/faqs.html
    Star Machine Works of San Diego is no longer in business. The company was sold and the original production machines and company assets sold.

Many members prefer only original parts made by Star Machine Works of San Diego and sell them through listings in our forum. Other members make parts and accessories that have been out of production for years or are new and original designs. Used parts and reloading tools turn up on auctions too.
    http://www.dillonprecision.com/about_us.html
    The Tommy gun came with a star loading tool, so I became a progressive reloader.
    Shortly thereafter, I bought an M-16, and wanted to load .223 ammo progressively, but Star said it wasn’t possible to do it with their tool. They said, “If you want to try it, we’ll sell you a .380 shellplate and you can try to make it work.” So I went to a machinist and cut down an RCBS die, ground the hardcoat off of the outside and had him thread it to the weird thread size that Star dies used and I made the damn thing work. I changed the link-arms to give it a little more stroke and came up with a kit so my friends could convert their machines.
    je suis charlie

Dillon 550B loads a mess of ammo quick & easy!

Dillon 550B loads a mess of ammo quick & easy! Pretty good warranty also!

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast