• Simmons

3 1.05%
  • Other

71 24.91%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Favorite scope brand?

Boolit Buddy

Question Favorite scope brand?

Looking to see if its pretty even across the board or favors to one or a few thanks. If other please state below. Also if you tend to stay away from one specific brand dont hesitate to let us know which and why thanks.
    Last edited by carbine86; 11-08-2013 at 07:31 PM.
    --ISO ITEMS--
    Contender super 16 barrels

updated as of April 2023

My feedback: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ight=Carbine86

Boolit Buddy

Well i started this voted for "Vortex" and somehow it went for bushnell/banner.
    --ISO ITEMS--

updated as of April 2023

Schmidt & Bender. One look and you'll know why.

Boolit Bub
    I like the old Weaver and Burris scopes, they work.

Boolit Grand Master

1. NightForce 2. Schmidt & Bender 3. Leupold. NightForce and Schmidt & Bender track the best. That's the primary reason the military is using them in the Sandbox. NightForce is big with the F-class and long range shooters.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 04-01-2014 at 12:48 PM.

Boolit Buddy

I had never heard of schidt and bender until now seems like they make a quality product.
    --ISO ITEMS--

updated as of April 2023

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_05900001.jpg 
Views:	1103 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	86936

This gives you an idea of scale of their 33mm tube scopes.

Boolit Master
    I do alot of playing with scope comparison in morning and evening tests. Leopold always wins , the new weavers run second not by much and then it is the Simmons and every thing else after that. I look to see when I can actually define object and see the cross hair to shoot as light increases or decreases. What I have discovered is when comparing the simmons against the leopold, the simmons does not have the clarity of detail like the leopold and I usually adjust the eye piece till it is better( than before) or as good as the scope will give. Why I cannot get a simmons set right by itself I do not know, but compare it with another better scope shows the improvement I was missing. I prefer Leopolds but simmons is a good fit for folk limited on income. I have never had a new style simmons fail me.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    one more comment I have. When the real clarity of a quality scope in dawn or dusk situations shows it generally is not legal hunting time anyhow. I am talking of 300 yards and less. So for actual legal hunting hours alot of the lesser quality scopes are more than adequate. Oh boy is this gonna go over like a lead balloon!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Grand Master

For me tracking and holding zero is far more important than clarity or light gathering.

Boolit Grand Master

Nikon, it's what my father(professional) and I(amateur) both use for cameras/lenses. I can't spend the money they want for a lot of scopes. Nikons are clear enough, gather enough light, don't fog and hold zero. I don't ask for anymore and of it gets damaged I'm not going to get to upset.

Boolit Grand Master

I like what works and that I can afford. Usually Weavers/BSA/Simmons in that order.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master
    I look for mechanical excellence and a lifetime warranty - that is Leupold.

All those super premium expensive $1000 scopes cut into my rifle budget and I see almost no advantage - none.
    EDG

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    [QUOTE=M-Tecs;2468105]For me tracking and holding zero is far more important than clarity or light gathering.[/QUOTE

Absolutely! ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master
    the thread asks for results of brands you like and why,I gave mine. In over 42 years of using dozens of scopes I had 3 failures with water and one tracking failure. They were 1tasco and 2 bushnel banners. Lets hear all your horrow stories of tracking failures so we can be enlightened.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Buddy

No Tasco option?

I chose other. I own a bunch of tasco's (yep because they're cheap) and a vintage weaver. I love the weaver and appreciate the price of the tascos.

David

david

Boolit Grand Master

Tracking on a scope is one of the more misunderstood terms. A scope has to be truly ***** before it won’t track on the normal box test or any large movement. It’s the plus or minus a couple of minutes windage that separates the good scopes from the great scopes. If you can put on 1 ½ minutes left wind than 2 minutes right wind and go back and forth numerous times during a match without it jumping or sticking it tracks well.

Most scope users never notice if a scope take a couple of shots to settle into zero. The F-class, benchrest and Long Range Highpower shooters do. It is not uncommon to see them use the palm of their hand or a rubber mallet it hit the scope to get it to settle it in.

I can’t tell you how many to time I have added more wind and didn’t see any movement so I add more thinking I read the wind incorrectly and still not see any movement so I add still more only to have it jump to the correction for all three movements. While I am a Leupold fan they are not noted for great tracking. The NightForce and Schmidt & Bender are noted for great tracking as are the T-series Weavers.

If you are the type that sets you zero and you never change it tracking isn’t an issue as any movement generally settles in with a couple of shots. If you are the type that is always on the knobs tracking is the weak point of most scopes.

The only true failure that I had was with a Leupold on a recoilless spring piston air rifle. After about 30 shots the scope had a noticeable rattle from loose parts.

Post #4 has good info on how to improve tracking http://6mmbr.websitetoolbox.com/post...oto=nextnewest

"One way to help a scope track better is to always finish your adjustment turning the knob clockwise, (assuming RH adjustment threads). This is not my idea. I got it from the late Dick Thomas of Premier Reticles. For example, if you are making an adjustment that requires you to turn the knob in a counterclockwise direction, go past your intended adjustment by several clicks, and come back to it turning in a clockwise direction. If you do not follow this procedure, you are depending on the spring that tensions the erector tube against the adjustment screws to work perfectly. Friction may keep this from happening. There is also the issue of which side of the thread is loaded after the adjustment is finished."

more good info here http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ceedure-65594/
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 11-09-2013 at 05:42 PM.

Boolit Master
    Redfields (revolutions) and Leupoulds--Cheap and lifetime warranty regardless of original purchaser. How can a feller go wrong?

Bushnell or counterpoint. I'm cheap and they work
    1,000,000 peso man

Vendor Sponsor

if we are talking about Hunting scopes Leupold, Zeiss Conquest then Nikon, .. Light gathering, repeatable adjustments and real lifetime warranty.. Althought you will probably never need the warranty..
    for a more budget scope Vortex..
    If you need to go cheaper than Vortex the new Leupold made Redfield Revolution
    Most of my hunting rifles wear Leupold , a 458 Socom has a Zeiss Conquest
    years ago I shot 1000 Yd competition using a 6.5x20 Leupold .. it never let me down ..
    as a matter of fact 5 leupolds have never let me down..
    Last edited by Smoke4320; 11-09-2013 at 06:00 PM.
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast