MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackboxReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: S&w 25-5

Boolit Bub

S&w 25-5

I recently acquired an S&W Mod 25-5 w/over sized chambers measuring .456. I slugged the barrel which measures .4515. Shooting standard .452 size boolits (200gr SWC, H&G) gives me basketball size groups at 25 yds. Will a .454 sized boolit work? And before I buy a mold, is there a way to get some .454 sized boolits to see if that solves the accuracy problem? I'm aware that you generally only go .001-.002 over. Thanks, Dennis

I would try the .454 bullets and the odds are your groups will shrink in size. I have a Ruger .44 spec. that had a .429 groove dia. and cylinder throats that were running .433. Using sized .431 gave me ok groups, but not what I wanted. I tried some .433 sized dia boolits and the groups shrunk to 2 inches and less at 25 yards for 6 shot groups. I believe there are several cast bullet makers that will offer 1-2 thousand over standard size in their cast bullets and hopefully someone will chime in and name the bullet makers that do that. That way you can purchase some to try before you order your mold and sizing die.
    Most of the time I hear complaints about S&W & Ruger having undersize throats and not oversize as you incountered.

Boolit Master
    dek:

I can send you some relatively soft custom 454190 bullets that you can size down to 0.454" [or smaller] to experiment with.

45 2.1 Group Buy Design

Jerry
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

Fortunately, I have a #454309 that drops 0.456", about 1 thou. less that the cylinder. Sometimes it's luck.

Eeyoow! That's one lovely boolit!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    FWIW, if your cylinder throats are .456", you need at least a .455 bullet to shoot well.
    In my S&W .45 ACP revolver with similar oversized chamer throats I get best results with Saeco #954 230-grain FN, from wheelweights, loading bullets as- cast and unsized at .455", tumbling in Lee Liquid Alox, and 4.5 grains of Bullseye.

Boolit Bub
    Outpost 75, that's what I'm thinking too. Jerry has offered to send me some of his boolits as indicated above. If they're cast larger than 454, I'll try 455 also. Thanks to all for the fast response. Dennis

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WallyM3 View Post
    Fortunately, I have a #454309 that drops 0.456", about 1 thou. less that the cylinder. Sometimes it's luck.

Eeyoow! That's one lovely boolit!
    Wally, how heavy is that bullet from your mold? I keep seeing it listed as 235 but the one example of that mold I know of drops around 250 from softer than wheel weights.
    Rule 303

Boolit Master

I have a 1955 Target. The throats are .455. I had to get a 454424 (I think) and size them @ .454. Now she shoots like she should. I don't cast them very hard, either. Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Piedmont View Post
    Wally, how heavy is that bullet from your mold? I keep seeing it listed as 235 but the one example of that mold I know of drops around 250 from softer than wheel weights.
    Sorry to be so long in replying, Piedmont. I get 234gr. Lyman #2.

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

Use the largest bullet you can chamber with no trouble. Sadly there are a great many Model 25's out there with the same problem. I got in the habit long ago to measure before I bought.

Boolit Master
    Mine has .456-.457" throats. I forget which one it is, but either the Winchester or Remington factory 255-ish grain lead factory bullet measures .456" in diameter. If you can find some as components, they might be something to try. Midway used to stock them; I dunno if they still do.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master

dek,

My 25 - 5 has .455 throats with a .452 bore. I bought an Ideal 454424 (not a 452) off of ebay. The older moulds tend to cast larger and this one is no exception dropping my wheel weight boolits right at .457. I size them to .456 and they give me great groups. The bore sizes them down nicely.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I ordered an RCBS 45-230-CM from Midway. It is a 454 mould. I'll let you know the results. Thanks again. Dennis