RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Load Data Wideners

Thread: 31141 plain base part ii

31141 plain base part ii

Well I tried the boolit in a custom 1917 Enfield w/scope and a 1903A3 w/21 inch barrel, sporter stock, Redfield peep, Mid Thompkins globe front site, and glass bedded w/good results.

Boolit was cast from straight linotype and weighs 157 gr. Sized 311. 10.1 gr Unique. Would like to try the boolit on deer but no idea what velocity would be good, plus I have no chrono but am guessing from published data it runs about 1250 fps. Any suggestions as to velocity that would be effective on deer and Mr. Piggy and still work as plain base?

Also cast a bunch w/straight AC WW but have not tried a load yet. Weighs 170 gr. Same question w/the heavier boolit.

Have lots of LC brass and both 4227, RE 7, Unique, 4064, and 4759.

BTW, in the area I hunt a 100 yd shot is long.

Thanks

seabreeze
    What is important in life? Things....or Honor/ integrity/Service and Humility?

Boolit Grand Master

Can't comment first hand on the hunting qualities of the 31141 but it is very accurate out of my .308 over 18 to 22 grs. IMR4227. I have read and would think that it is a pretty good design for hunting but have not shot a critter with one so can't speak for the terminal ballistics. I am sure you will get lots of positive responses about it.

It should work well in your 1903A3 but will likely be very undersize in your Enfield unless it has a particularly tight bore. Mine all run around 0.314" so need a 0.316" boolit. I have two moulds I ordered to cast 0.316" and one I lapped from 0.314" and all work well for me.

The Lyman Cast Bullet handbook has a variety of loads for that boolit in standard .30 cal rifles so you should be able get good load data and have a good idea of velocity.

Longbow

Thanks for the feedback. The Enfield has an after market barrel and was built in about late 50's by a gunsmith in Artesia NM. Extremely accurate w/cast and my NM load of 47 gr 4064 w/168 SMK. It looks like a 2 groove barrel.

seabreeze

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    Can't comment first hand on the hunting qualities of the 31141 but it is very accurate out of my .308 over 18 to 22 grs. IMR4227. I have read and would think that it is a pretty good design for hunting but have not shot a critter with one so can't speak for the terminal ballistics. I am sure you will get lots of positive responses about it.

It should work well in your 1903A3 but will likely be very undersize in your Enfield unless it has a particularly tight bore. Mine all run around 0.314" so need a 0.316" boolit. I have two moulds I ordered to cast 0.316" and one I lapped from 0.314" and all work well for me.

The Lyman Cast Bullet handbook has a variety of loads for that boolit in standard .30 cal rifles so you should be able get good load data and have a good idea of velocity.

Longbow
    What is important in life? Things....or Honor/ integrity/Service and Humility?

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by seabreeze133 View Post
    Boolit was cast from straight linotype and weighs 157 gr. Sized 311. 10.1 gr Unique. Would like to try the boolit on deer but no idea what velocity would be good, plus I have no chrono but am guessing from published data it runs about 1250 fps. Any suggestions as to velocity that would be effective on deer and Mr. Piggy and still work as plain base?

Also cast a bunch w/straight AC WW but have not tried a load yet. Weighs 170 gr. Same question w/the heavier boolit.

Have lots of LC brass and both 4227, RE 7, Unique, 4064, and 4759.

BTW, in the area I hunt a 100 yd shot is long.

Thanks seabreeze
    Most folks recommend at least 1600 fps on deer (and only with good shot placement). With the limited distance you have, it might be good to go with a faster velocity for more killing power to make sure you recover the animal. Going faster with a PB boolit means protecting the base from powder gasses to get a lot more velocity. Several ways work: freechec's (work fine with very soft lead to 2,000 fps), filler (of some types), slow powders with or without booster (find someone who already knows) etc. AC WW should work better for you than linotype also.