RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Snyders JerkyLoad DataRepackboxReloading Everything
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: They might not be pretty...

Quote Originally Posted by Smokin7mm View Post
    The wrinkles are as stated from too much lube. The folds are usually from not enough anneal. As for lubing the cases I dab some lube in my hand (I use 50/50 lanolin/castor oil mix) and work it in. Then I place a small handful of jackets (maybe 20) and rub them between my hands. After about 100 cases or 4 to 5 times I add another dab of lube and repeat. It doesnt take much with this lube.

Bret
    lube to anneal tag

Boolit Master

I will try not to be too critical about you bullets, because they look better than mine did when I started out.
    When the 22 rimfire cases are annealed at high temperatures it burns out a lot of the zinc and compromises the structure of the copper jacket, leaving it softer than it should be.

Several thing happen with too soft of a jacket, the first is when making them. The shank of the bullet or bearing surface will collapse when the nose is put on, ( your picture is not the best, but it appears that there are rings on the shank of your bullets) this will cause the over all length of the bullet to change as well as the ojive. When seating the bullet in the case the seating depth will also change.
    The second thing that will happen when the jackets are over annealed it that they will cause more copper fouling in the barrel of your rifle, because the zinc has been cooked out of the copper.
    Zinc is a very good metal to have in the copper as it acts as a lubricant.

Below is a picture of how I anneal my jackets.
    This process allows only annealing in the area where it is needed the most, where the nose or ojive is formed.
    The shank of the bullet retains the zinc in the brass needed to help lubricate the bullet and reduce the copper fouling in the barrel.

Don't loose heart in making these bullets, they are the best bullets for the money anywhere in the world. Because you made them.

Attachment 86860
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

I want to respond to the ripples in your bullets. I bought dies from HG also, BIG mistake, and they all did the same thing. I sent them back, still haven't gotten the replacements back yet, 3 months later! My 45's would all have wrinkles around the tips. No it is not too much lube, I put dry jackets in, same thing, I put really lubed jackets in, same thing. I have a digital microscope and I finally looked at them thru it. There were pits and scars in the die! Simply put just plane piss poor workmanship! No other way to put it. Now I am in a legal battle with HG over the dies and press that he made me.

Those are your bullets, there are many like it, but those are yours. Kind of a take off from the movie full metal jacket. I think they look good. I am looking forward to making some. I have been collecting 22 lr cases for a while. How do you like the H&G dies? Did you get the adjustable core mold from him?
    Dont pee down my back and tell me its raining.

I did get the mold from John but I haven't got it yet. He shipped me one but it got lost in the mail and he hasn't gotten me another one built yet. The dies aren't the best but I don't think they are the worst. One thing that I don't like about them is there is one main die body with different inserts for it. I think I could get a couple of Lee die blanks and have my gunsmith make me more die bodies so I don't have to completely reset my dies every time I change out the insert.
    I pity the baker,
    I pity the nun

I pity the one
    Who tries to take my gun

over the last several decades, (can it really have been that long?) I have asked many many varmints if they objected to the way my bullets looked. Never had a complaint. Truth is, never had a response of any kind.
    "let's go. He ain't hittin' nothin'.".... "You IDIOT, he's hit everything he's aimed at!"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12