Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
WidenersRepackboxLoad DataTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Best 22 lever action?

Boolit Master
    I have no idea why a Ruger 10-22, which isn't a lever gun, is such a prize compared to a Marlin 39 or Win 9422.

But, I do know the blued Henry 22 lever is not on my gotta have it list. At a distance they resemble the Win 9422 but upon close exam the big blow fly in the soup really stands out. What were they thinking with the plastic mag tube retainer clip and plastic barrel band! Ughhh.

Let's see, the bean counters at Henry said, "hey, we can save $10 per rifle" or something along those lines. Then that info starts showing up in magazine articles or on the www, word gets around and there's an instant stigma about it. That $10 savings might not amount to much if multiplied by the number of non-sales.

Boolit Buddy
    I wouldn't put my custom 10/22 (s)( less a factory one) even close to the fit and function of my 9422 or 9422m xtr(s).
    Sure , the 10/22 is a good gun but for out of the box, factory gun, compared to my 94s, not even close.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by fouronesix View Post
    I have no idea why a Ruger 10-22, which isn't a lever gun, is such a prize compared to a Marlin 39 or Win 9422.

But, I do know the blued Henry 22 lever is not on my gotta have it list. At a distance they resemble the Win 9422 but upon close exam the big blow fly in the soup really stands out. What were they thinking with the plastic mag tube retainer clip and plastic barrel band! Ughhh.

Let's see, the bean counters at Henry said, "hey, we can save $10 per rifle" or something along those lines. Then that info starts showing up in magazine articles or on the www, word gets around and there's an instant stigma about it. That $10 savings might not amount to much if multiplied by the number of non-sales.
    You must be looking at some awful OLD models, the only plastic parts I have on mine is the butt plate, and the ammo pusher inside the magazine tube, everything else is metal.

Lets see, Anthony said how can we improve an already good rifle, why we'll do away with the plastic parts, so folks can't bash our product any longer.

You need to do a little research and keep up on whats going on in the industry.

Might wish to click on this site to find out just how many "Bean Counters" they have.

http://henryrepeating.com/about-henry-repeating.cfm

Got any idea who made the repro cap revolvers that Colt marketed a number of years ago?
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Best 22 lever action?

I've owned several Henry rifles. The most accurate one was the .22lr pump, believe it or not. The only rimfire I have that would outshoot it is my CZ trainer and my Henry Acubolt .17HMR. My son has a Golden Boy that's a tack driver. Henry customer service is unparalleled. But yes, the plastic and alloy creeped me out at first.

Anyway, I picked up an battered Henry lever action at a pawn shop. The receiver was badly scratched and the stock a mess. I stripped the receiver's black paint and found a shiny pewter-zinc-alum. finish underneath. I Just let it tarnish and call it my Silver Boy. It's at least as accurate as my Marlin 39a and a lot slicker and jam resistant.

It's my favorite throw in the camper/walking around gun. I guess i could get metal bands to replace the plastic, but then I'd worry about taking care of it.
    Last edited by blixen; 12-08-2013 at 10:51 PM.

In Remembrance
    Blixen, I like it, maybe even better than factory finish.

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    Blixen, I like it, maybe even better than factory finish.
    Me too--at least it isn't tarted up with black paint. . I want to put a peep sight on it, if I can find one cheap and beat up enough to match.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by blixen View Post
    Me too--at least it isn't tarted up with black paint. . I want to put a peep sight on it, if I can find one cheap and beat up enough to match.
    Google Skinner sights. They mount on the dovetail. But you will need a taller front sight.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

I'll go with many here and say the Marlin 39a. I got mine from a neighbor lady, it used to be her sons. It's a rifle that will never leave me until my final day, Lord willing. She had another one that I would have loved to get, but when she got bad off, some family came in and got it. I would have offered a pretty penny for it, a Remington Nylon 76, when I was a kid she'd hand it to me to go, "Kill those (explicative) squirrels". Fond memories of that, she and I chasing and killing squirrels. If I ever buy another .22 rifle it'll be a Remington Nylon 76 for sure.
    Sully

Banned

BLR. Shoot one and you'll understand.

Gear

Boolit Master

I stripped the receiver's black paint and found a shiny pewter-zinc-alum. finish underneath. I Just let it tarnish and call it my Silver Boy.
    Some fellows over at Rimfire Central played around with different chemicals and got the Henry Zamak covers looking like color case hardening.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Marlin 39 with an S prefix and star that shoots as well now as it did when it was new almost 100 years ago. The only "limiting" factor is that you have to use standard velocity ammo. It is a tack driver.

Marin Golden 39A for me . Built solid as a rock and the micro groove rifling was superb for accuracy .extremely smooth and positive action . I used to shoot nearly a brick of ammo in one setting knocking black walnuts out of neglected old trees and never miss one . Seriously , not one .

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345