MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan ReloadingPBcastco
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best 22 lever action?

One of the worst mistakes of my life wa not to buy a 39A back in the day. I won`t let another ^past me by.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mossberg_4[1].jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	87949
    One more vote for the Mossberg Palomino. Best inexpensive 22 I've ever had. Still see them for sale occasionally.

Boolit Master
    I have no experience with any lever 22 except my 39A. I bought it from my stepfather 6 years ago and have fired about 2,000 rounds through it without a problem. He put less than 100 rounds through it in the 25 years he owned it. I've scoped it with an old Tasco 4X scope and it is scary accurate with most ammo. I've introduced several people to shooting with that rifle and EVERYONE who shoots it falls in love with it. It's my only 22 rifle as I've sold or traded off the other ones I own.
    Maineboy

I've had three 39As (two Mounties). Had the rifle version since I was 12 in 1962 and love it dearly. Killed a lot of small game with it, then passed it down to my son. A few years ago, I saw a battered Henry 001 lever action at a pawn shop--the receiver was horribly scratched, so I stripped it and polished the alloy finish.

Truth be told, it out shoots ALL my Mounties and keeps up with the 39A rifle-- and the Henry action is slicker and virtually jam proof.

I know it's got a pot-metal receiver and a plastic front sight, but it's my walkin'-around .22 these days. (...when I can find ammo.)

My son has the Golden Boy with a tang sight and it also is a tack-driver.

Banned

"I know it's got a pot-metal receiver"

No it is not a "Pot Metal" receiver. The receiver is steel. The covers are pot metalish. The action are smooth as it gets.

I have an older marlin 39A that is a real shooter. Though I would like to have a new Henry also.
    Charlie

Boolit Master
    I "sort of" misspoke when I said my 39A was my only 22 rifle. I do have this Golden Boy that I won in a raffle. I've never fired it because it will be my grandson's when he gets old and responsible enough to have it. He will be the first one to shoot it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Henry Golden Boy.jpg  
    Maineboy

Vendor Sponsor

Maineboy: very cool gun rack! Did you make it?

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Yes, it was a rough cut walnut board; I planed it on one side, added a couple coats of satin finish urethane, and put on the brass hangers.
    Maineboy

Boolit Master
    Long time collector of Marlin 39a variations. The best there ever was. Got a 1st yr, and several from the 50s and 60s. Mounties & Goldens. Invest in the best.

Boolit Buddy
    Are Marlin 39's still in production?

Boolit Master
    AK,

Beware of new production 39A. Look for an earlier model.

Jon
    Col 2:13-17

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop Junior View Post
    Marlin. I personaly cant stand any of the winchester lever guns.
    THIS is almost un-American. Whatta heretic.

The Winchester 9422s are nice little rifles, but I've only borrowed a couple examples. I enjoyed them greatly, but didn't get a good idea of their relative accuracy during their short stays with me.

I do own a Marlin 39A, and it may be my most accurate 22 LR ever. I really should put a scope on the critter to verify that, but even with the stock open irons I can bench-shoot sub-1" 5-rounders at 50 yards. My most accurate 22 LR (Rem 581) with 3x-9x scope on board barely bests its accuracy at that range. I suspect an aperture or scope sight would push the 39A to the pole position of this race. They are SUPERB little rifles.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    I've shot a few .22 levers.

I owned one of the Ithaca 49R's and it was a great gun, but a little small. I gave it to the son of a friend and he's been getting good use out of it.

I still own and use a Marlin 39A that has been an excellent gun. I need to shoot it more, but I can't think if a much better squirrel rifle.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon K View Post
    AK,

Beware of new production 39A. Look for an earlier model.

Jon
    Why beware?

Boolit Man
    There's the pre safety Marlin 39 (A/M/etc) and then there's everything else. Very few even come close.

Yes...BUT...Remington bought Marlin and moved production to a Remington plant. The new ones are called "remlins". The vast majority of NIB remlins have failure to fire, failure to feed and failure to eject problems.

Look for a Pre-Remington 39A. I have a 1961 production 39A. IMHO, the Marlin-made 39 series is the finest .22 lever gun ever made. The Marlin-Marlin 39's now command high prices.

I now have a period-correct Marlin front sight hood and Marlin hammer extension (not present in these early pics).

I made my own scope mount from a piece of continuous slot weaver-type rail.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Caster View Post
    Are Marlin 39's still in production?
    Last edited by enfieldphile; 12-06-2013 at 10:42 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AK Caster View Post
    Why beware?
    Besides the
    . Fail to fire

. Fail to Extract

It would only shoot 2-3 FT group @100yd with 8 different ammo's on FRONT & REAR Rest.

Wound up spending a lot of $ to make it shoot. 2007 mfg.

Jon
    Col 2:13-17

Best 22lr today would be any that come with a sizable ammo stash, apparently some folks are saying its hard to find.

Boolit Master
    I have owned dozens of 22's. Many bad, many good, a few real good. At the very bottom of the list is the Marlin 39. It is an insufferable contraption not fit to be owned. I have owned several. They were terrible long before Remington did anything to them. Those are the facts. I have spent the money and sold them all off.

You can too, its a free country.

I would not waste my time with one though. A 10-22 is five times the gun a 39 ever was. The 94-22 is just as bad. I traded for a 94-22 mag one time, my best seal skin cap. I sold it for a thousand bucks. That was a good trade! Do it again in a heartbeat.
    Last edited by Suo Gan; 12-07-2013 at 02:30 AM.
    Lotta people die in bed: Dangerous place to be!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast