Reloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackboxLoad Data
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best 22 lever action?

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jcwit View Post
    Had a Marlin way back in the 50's, purchased new, one of the worst guns I've ever owned and one of only 2 I've ever sold. Never owned a Winchester 9422 or a Browning for that matter. I do currently own a Henry and for the bucks spent its one fine rifle.

To those who keep claiming plastic parts on a Henry, please elaborate.

Mine has 2, that's two, parts that are plastic, one is the butt plate and the other is the part that pushes the cartridges towards the action, in most 22's these 2 parts are plastic with out much exception.

You might also want to read the reviews regarding the current Marlin 39A's.
    Barrel bands and front sight are plastic on the one I had.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    Barrel bands and front sight are plastic on the one I had.

Robert
    Not any longer! Changed quite awhile back. Even then it was a none functioning part.

Something many do not realize, Henry was the company who supplied the Colt Black Powder revolvers when they were reissued a number of years back. IIRC
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Banned

I hate those plastic parts on Glocks and 870 shotguns. Can't depend on those things.

Boolit Grand Master
    If money is an object in this quest, I'd go for the Henry. American made and shoots like nobody's business. I've shot a bunch of fine .22's and the Henry will go head to head with any of them. I just hate the pot metal receiver.

Boolit Master

You might look for the discontinued Marlin 1897 or 1897 Texan.

In Remembrance
    Several years ago, I had pretty much given up on a win or marlin at a price that was worth it to me. I looked at the henrys several times, and was just about to pull the plug on one when my Marlin suddenly showed up. If I was looking to buy a new one today, it would no doubt be a henry. There is just more bang for the buck, and from what I hear customer service after the fact is unequaled.

Perma-Banned

I have owned a couple and my favorite is an older Marlin Model 39. It is a tackdriver.

I'll throw another Marlin 39 Vote on the wood pile - I've shot others and the Henry was a little slicker than my Marlin I think but my Marlin hasn't ever been slicked up - just honest wear to get that sweet trigger pull - and it will do grey digger head groups out to 125+ yards with open sights (back when I could see them).
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Buddy
    Ive had 3 bl22's Brownings. 2 grade 1 rifles and 1 grade II rifle. Great shooters and good looking guns.

Boolit Bub
    I have shot 9422, BL22 and a Henry.

For a plinker that feels like a kids gun, the BL22 is very accurate. The 9422 has more heft and feels more like a big bore gun than the others. I shot the Henry and BL22 head to head and was able to get dime sized groups with the BL22 versus quarter sized groups with the Henry. That was due primarily to the better sights on the Browning. I haven't shot the 9422 and the Browning side to side, so can't make a direct comparison between the two.

I have 5 marlin 39a's. Need I say more? Had 3 others that I let my poor friends have....
    Experience is the source of all knowledge.

Boolit Master
    You mentioned a 10-22 in the O.P. How about the lever action version that uses the same magazines; the Ruger 96-22?

Boolit Mold
    An overseas vote for the Marlin 39a.
    Got an used one here in Italy, really as new for 300 Euros.
    Only instance known where a gun was cheaper here than the US.

Only have had 3 lever 22's. One pre safety and one post safety, both 39A. Have been great. I had a Henry because I wanted short barrel length and couldn't afford Marlin 1897 limited run. Henry was very affordable but had painted receiver that "depainted" first time solvent touched it and it looked like some type of alloy. Was OK shooter but in good ground squirrel colony shots would wander when barrel warmed from shooting or sitting in the sun. A malady that can effect I guess all levers with barel bands. Anyway, I had chance to trade for Ruger 10/22 deluxe without barrel band and did so. Mechanics on the Henery were fine.
    Cast Round, Shoot Straight
    Take someone shooting

A nice used Marlin 39A. Its already broke in with a smooth action, and if it is not already obvious, they really shoot well. My late brother had a west german made Erma which I understand is the same as the Ithaca and now copied by Henry? It was a nice compact gun and shot fine but I never compared it side by side to a Marlin 39A.

Boolit Master
    Having an affinity for old waffle top 336 marlins with Ballard rifling, I didn't hesitate to grab an older 39 when it passed before me.

John

Boolit Master

Another vote here for the Marlin 39. I've got two...the older is a 1950's built rifle and the newer, late 60's - early 70's. The newer one was Dad's and has a squirrel carved in stock. I've only seen one other with that but I don't think it's a particularly rare.

Boolit Master
    I haven't seen anything any better than a Henry. They are darn fine little rifles.

Boolit Master

I have both the Marlin and a Winchester. The Winchester just sits in the safe.

Quote Originally Posted by williamwaco View Post
    The Marlin 39A is spectacular.

But mine is 50 years old.

I don't know about the new ones.

Ditto. There is no other .22 lever gun worth a hoot, IMHO. You will think so too, once you've had one. Mine is also over 50, a hand-me-down from my old Dad. It shoots very close to what my target rifles will do. Whatever the price, buy an older Marlin.
    Cognitive Dissident

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast