Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
WidenersRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: New to me 11" MGM 357 Mag to Max barrel

Boolit Master

New to me 11" MGM 357 Mag to Max barrel

It came in the mail today so of course I had to send some rounds down range.
    Had 11 odd cases primed so I used all of them to "polish the barrel (my method I apply to any new to me barrel). I assume it removes some jacket material also if it is present. VERY LOW velocity and soft fine abrasive, nothing aggressive like silicon carbide.

So slow some 44 mags I shot last week hit 3/4ths of the way to the 50 yard berm I was shooting for. That SS 44 Mag bore is like a mirror and shoots great at 50. I have not shot it beyond that.

Anyway back to today's mini 357 Maxpedition.

Goal was to polish the barrel and get POA/POI in the same ball park with the scope that came with the barrel.

The 160 cast GB Boolits I was using to polish landed within a couple of inches of POA at 50 so scope is close, obviously the previous owner was shooting it for some purpose..

Loaded some hotter loads and the RD or LAR45 180s in front of some 4759. 3.5 inches low and a couple right, but about a 1" cluster.

Adjusted scope and loaded 4 more rounds. First was off to the right so pulled it over and reshot, third round went into my test medium (POA was POI)with a BIG splash. My relative impact result medium is a one gallon milk jug completely filled with water and shot in the middle. I use the relative damage to the jug and water spray pattern to give a guesstimate (SWAG) of impact affect on What I am going to shoot. Ranch Dogs 30 Cal 165 grainer (30-30 14" Contender) and the .359X180 grainer (11" 357 Max) today have provided the most damage to any jug I have shot.

Gonna like this barrel, gotta get some loads ready for season.

First MGM barrel I have seen in person . . . I like it!
    Last edited by TCLouis; 11-07-2013 at 11:19 PM. Reason: replace edited content!
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

You're making me want a bbl. for my encore. 357 MAX has amazing power for it's size.

Can you put some pictures for that certain gun? I am hopeful to see one of them.

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

Quote Originally Posted by Gleedaniel13 View Post
    Can you put some pictures for that certain gun? I am hopeful to see one of them.
    +1 on the pictures.