Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what would make whant to go to a cast only shoot?

Boolit Mold

what would make whant to go to a cast only shoot?

I have started a cast only shoot at our club. we had set up silhouettes, paper and gongs from 100 meters to 300 meters. Classes for vintage, modern, optic and iron sights What would it take you say GEE I WOULD TO GO TO THAT. Targets styles, steel targets, shot offhand, prone, off bench, sponsored prizes, food supplied etc????

Money.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    Money.
    Oh ****, never thought of you paying us . But it is a great start. How much do you wish to donate?

Boolit Master
    People.
    I go to the NCBS get together, because of the other people attending. We "met" each other on this site, so we were friends before we got there, and we go to spend time with friends.

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by muzzle flash View Post
    Oh ****, never thought of you paying us . But it is a great start. How much do you wish to donate?
    Most small club matches around here have modest entry fees and pay out to the winners at 50 to 75 percent of the take with the rest going to the club for expenses.

Many folks just don't want to compete. They simply don't want to be measured against others. You'll never bring them into the fold. Most of the rest are the hacks in the pack. They like to shoot, but they don't have the skills to finish "in the money" and they know it. Remember that this is the majority of your shooters. They are there for fun and if it isn't, they won't be back.

I am one of those hacks in the pack. The things that make me decide on a match are convenience of venue, how different is the shooting from what I can normally get at a simple range session and what is the entry cost versus number of shots I get to take.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Mold

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by obssd1958 View Post
    People.
    I go to the NCBS get together, because of the other people attending. We "met" each other on this site, so we were friends before we got there, and we go to spend time with friends.
    Okay we are now friends. and you can spend time with me. What I was looking for on how you would like to see a match set up and run.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    Most small club matches around here have modest entry fees and pay out to the winners at 50 to 75 percent of the take with the rest going to the club for expenses.

Many folks just don't want to compete. They simply don't want to be measured against others. You'll never bring them into the fold. Most of the rest are the hacks in the pack. They like to shoot, but they don't have the skills to finish "in the money" and they know it. Remember that this is the majority of your shooters. They are there for fun and if it isn't, they won't be back.

I am one of those hacks in the pack. The things that make me decide on a match are convenience of venue, how different is the shooting from what I can normally get at a simple range session and what is the entry cost versus number of shots I get to take.
    This is the way try to set up matches. I always try to keep match fees the lowest I can and yes there is always a person or to that consistently take home the bacon because they have done their homework and are damn good shots. I look at it as a learning experience and have learned a lot. I have already got a new friend now in this tread who wants to donate money. Also giving back a portion of the registration as prize money is what I do as guys were running out of places to hang plaques.
    Last edited by muzzle flash; 11-01-2013 at 08:51 AM.

Boolit Master

For me the chance to be competitive. I shoot flintlock trade gun and have a few medals in national compation. I tried round ball rifle and found I was so far back in the pack I could not even smell the rabbit.
    In the cast military matches on a good day I will do ok, but production factory is still a work in progress.
    #1 lots of shooting
    #2 being able to afford a lot of shooting (most who shoot cast are cheapskates who else would spend weeks on a 75 dollar rifle trying to make a match gun)
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by obssd1958 View Post
    People.
    This is pretty much right. I would add that the description one shooter made of NCBS that the get-together is like a family reunion where everyone likes everyone else.
    In the case of NCBS, the competitions aren't intense and there are few restrictions other than none of the projectiles have full length condoms. The best events are purely fun shoots where teams burn a whole lot of powder really fast breaking things. Puts a big smile on your face for a long time.

Love Life
    Good people and good range masters. I hate ranges where the range master is rude and condescending.

As for targets it all depends on who the shooters are. I like to shoot steel.

Boolit Master
    I wish there were some cast only shoots near me (within 100 miles).

Boolit Master

I would go to a cast only shoot if one was organized within a reasonable distance.
    I drove from SW Oregon to SW Wyoming to attend BBPDS. That is a bit far. I probably won`t go that far again.
    If someone sets one up in South to mid Oregon I would go.
    I live within 8 miles of the California border but would not take my guns/ammo into that state....dale

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    "what would make whant to go to a cast only shoot?"

If there was one close enough to attend,,,,,,,,
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dale2242 View Post
    I would go to a cast only shoot if one was organized within a reasonable distance.
    I drove from SW Oregon to SW Wyoming to attend BBPDS. That is a bit far. I probably won`t go that far again.
    If someone sets one up in South to mid Oregon I would go.
    I live within 8 miles of the California border but would not take my guns/ammo into that state....dale
    NCBS is not that far from you. Just go through Lakeview, Or, down to Gerlach, NV then catch I-80 to Winnemucca. Nice drive, too.

I'd like to see one or maybe shoot in an event.

Only shoots I go to are all cast shoots, maybe some swagers too.

Flintlock round ball & Holy Black cartridge are the only shoots I attend
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Master

Tell me more about NCBS.....dale

Boolit Master
    Hey Dale!

Try these threads - they should give you an idea of what we do at NCBS!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...otos-by-Lagene

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hoot-this-year

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t-bullet-Shoot

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-20-21-22-2011

and I stole this brief definition from a post by BruceB:

""NCBS" is the annual Nevada Cast Bullet Shoot, held each year for the last thirteen years in Winnemucca.

It's a weekend of mostly socializing, mixed with a goodly amount of shooting and good food.

ANYONE is welcome, and even if one has no available cast-bullet guns or ammunition on hand, it's still a worthwhile trip, because MANY guns will be offered for one's enjoyment.

I see that you're in Idaho, which makes for an easy trip to attend. We typically have folks from six or seven States in attendance, and many bring families. Thirty or more shooters is the general size of the group.

Go to the "get-togethers" forum under 'Our Town' for write-ups and pics from past years.

You would be most welcome...
    "

Hope to see you there!!!!!!!

Don

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

On Heaven's Range

Dale;

A few years back, a group of my co-workers and I made the trip from Winnemucca to Coos Bay for some fishing.

It was an easy one-day trip, and very interesting in that we progressed through the several different climate zones. From high desert, we drove through mountain "tundra", wooded uplands, timbered lowland/agriculture country, and into the coastal rain forest and thence to the seacoast. Fascinating!

Try to make it NCBS; I'm sure you would have an enjoyable weekend. It is SO NICE to talk to people who actually understand what you are talking about...
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    This was my 2nd NCBS it was more fun this yr as there was more hand shaking and less bio. We troop about 300 miles to attend. Winnimucca is a pretty friendly town and thus far except for a guy that was suprised to see 30 shooters all at 1 time there ,I've seen no conflicts.

Muzzle ,
    I think your best bet would be to do a fun shoot day to start and 5-10 of your cast shooting buddies get together an bring a non-cast barely reloading buddy along . To maximize the interested group I'd get someone w/a flintlock a 1 end and a 338 Lapua at the other w/a 30-30 ,45-70 or something in the middle and a chrony. Once you have the attn of a small group it'll grow and Mooseheads and a moose burger at the end of the day won't hurt. A money/trophy/ingot shoot would draw out the upper crust while the fun shoots will tend to draw the beginers and curious. Just my .02.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast