RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: Pumpkin Shoot

Boolit Master

Pumpkin Shoot

Our local range had it's first Pumpkin Shoot. I was on the Crew and didn't get a whole lot of pictures but here's a few. We had 5 20 minute relays throughout the day. There were Pumpkins staged from 7 to 500 yards. 500 pumpkins were drilled with a 3/4 twist drill, filled with water, and corked with a 12ga hull for more dramatic effect. 44 Mag, S&W 500, and 3006 were real winners. One AK with milsurp ammo did very well too. One little girl was trying and trying to hit one with a 22 and finally grazed it. At cease fire the Range Master got it for her to take home. These pictures were early, the pumpkin guts got deep later on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pumpkin1.jpg   pumpkin4.jpg   pumpkin2.jpg  
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Bub
    Looks like a great time. Wish we had ranges like that here.

Banned

Today my son had a pumpkin that was rotten he sorta started carving about 3 weeks ago. It only had one hole in the top. so we filled it with water.

I set up on the shooting barrel, got my 44mag RSRH with a cast HP and shot it from about 15 yds.

It exploded into fine mist. My son was thoroughly impressed!

Boolit Buddy
    gives me ideas for next years match at our local club. this year we had our first zombie match. fire and zombies what else can a grown gun lover want?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vePl7...ature=youtu.be

bhn22
    Our gun club has a total hissy fit, and would revoke the membership of anyone shooting fruit.

I said that right, didn't I?

Banned

Shooting fruit is one of my favorite activities. I am going out today to get the left over pumpkins. Most are free. I don't have to worry about cleanup, they give great visual feedback, and they are all natural and organic! Go ahead, call me a fruit hugger!

Every spring there are cucumber, gourd, and pumpkin vines growing all over the place! Charcoal briquettes are good too.

Boolit Master
    I was back at the Pumpkin range today. Cleanup went well yesterday with the use of a tractor. The tarps we used to control the mess actually got in the way. It's a GO for next year but No Tarps.
    Mal

Boolit Grand Master
    No shooting of ANYTHING other than targets an the steel plates here.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Bub
    Looks like fun,

That looks like a real good time there!
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    No shooting of ANYTHING other than targets an the steel plates here.

Shiloh
    That is why we shoot pumpkins on state-owned land. The Federal and State governments, own 2/3 of all land in some counties here.

Boolit Mold
    Wow ... TOOOO cool ... I want to try for next year or maybe I will find something else to fill with water and shoot. I don't want to wait sounds like fun!!! Weeeee woooo!!!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Blammer View Post
    Today my son had a pumpkin that was rotten he sorta started carving about 3 weeks ago. It only had one hole in the top. so we filled it with water.

I set up on the shooting barrel, got my 44mag RSRH with a cast HP and shot it from about 15 yds.

It exploded into fine mist. My son was thoroughly impressed!
    that's why when I "carve" punkins I don't go all the way through. Ought to see one shot by a 50BMG with API ammo. It's more visually impressing tan a pound of tannerite

Boolit Master
    Why do you clean up the pumpkins? They make great deer feed and will rot and add to the soil if the deer don't eat them. Much better than shooting old TV sets.

Boolit Master
    Old TV sets should only be shot in garbage dumps along with the ravins and crows that frequent. them.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckiller View Post
    Why do you clean up the pumpkins? They make great deer feed and will rot and add to the soil if the deer don't eat them. Much better than shooting old TV sets.
    By relay number 5 the pumpkin guts were a foot deep in places. It's a public range and it would have interfered with the portable target stands. I'm sure the hay and pumpkins are composting off to the side somewhere. A lot of the fine debris just melted into the ground.

Deer are another problem. It's a Regional Park and the deer are protected. I've had to hold fire while they walked across a Hot Range. Turkeys too! If you hit one you are banned.

I don't shoot glass anymore, I've had to clean it up.

The Pumpkins worked great! The Range Master probably got a deal on them as they looked like seconds. We just pointed the blemishes down range.
    Mal