Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad DataRepackbox
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWideners
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where's all the powder?

Boolit Buddy

Where's all the powder?

Seems like I can find everything but powder. I live within 1 hour of Hodgdon and there doesn't seem to be any variety available here. I was at Cabelas in KC yesterday. They had no powders that interested me. They might of had a half dozen choices. In the past the primers were always the hardest to find IIRC.

Love Life
    My garage...

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Ya gotta order it, and pay the hazmat shipping. My LGS has been out of everything since the madness started.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Love Life
    Best to do a group buy with local reloaders. That has helped me save some money on powder orders.

Boolit Grand Master
    This has served me well^^^

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle333 View Post
    Ya gotta order it, and pay the hazmat shipping. My LGS has been out of everything since the madness started.
    From...? I would turn to Midway or Powder Valley, but neither is well stocked (to put it mildly). To be specific: I'm talking about Unique and Bullseye. I don't have an emergency on my hands at the moment. But I would like to restock what I've used.

Boolit Grand Master

The Bullet Hole has plenty. Last gun show at the airport area had lots.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have plenty, powder is where you find it. Buy it in 8 pounders if you can, even then it doesn't last long.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

The LGS I've been in the last couple of weeks here in No. Ind. hav had a good stock of most powder and very reasonable pricing.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Master
    I was thinking it was easier to find now. Local range even had a bunch of 1 pounders including 2400, Unique, Red Dot, and others that have been hard to find for a while.

Banned

bullseye-red dot-700 x- aa#2-clays
    unique-universal-herco-aa#5-green dot
    see how this goes, learn to be flexible.

Boolit Master

I ordered 10lbs from 3rdGenShootingSupply last week and got it yesterday. At that time they had Clay Dot (copy of Univ Clays), Blue Dot, Green Dot, Trail Boss, and many more in stock. Not a super duper selection of do-it-all pistol and rifle powders, but out of those I list I can load anything I shoot for a good long time.
    I know some have had trouble with them, but that was earlier this year and they seem to have sorted their stocking problems out. It is a small operation, I gather, so you won't get instant gratification of "Hey, we just did this" in terms of each step of the gathering, packing, and shipping process, but they give and order number by email after you hit Go, and I started hitting it once a day and 5-6 days later (like their website and email said it might take) I saw on UPS.com my package and it arrived about 8 days after ordering.
    For the price and availability, I'm happy as a clam.
    I also second finding another shooter or two to share the hazmat and shipping, that makes it much more bearable. You do need to be able to drop $100 or so (each), to make it worthwhile, I think.
    Just try to have the other sportsmen on the phone or nearby, as powder availability is so variable it's no good to ask them to make a list, they'll just list the do-all powders, which are HARD to find, especially all in one place. Do a lot of cross-referencing and web searching. That's how I found out Clay Dot is a close-enough copy of Universal Clays, etc. If you buy an "almost" copy, do the usual short load and work up (*disclaimer, avoid very small loads on those powder types folks on CastBoolits have claimed might suffer detonation with cat sneeze quantities.)

Powder Valley, as someone mentioned, also has/had some last week, but not enough of what I needed to make it worthwhile.

I grabbed CCI small pistol primers off Midway last week too, more than I like paying, but they HAD them and for roughly what my tiny LGS (over)charges for them during good times.

Bulldogger
    Last edited by Bulldogger; 11-01-2013 at 08:41 AM. Reason: caint spill gud

Boolit Master
    I'm calling BS on the whole powder thing. Last summer, I went looking nobody had and said they couldnt get it.
    I came home and called Western Powders. They said they had BOX CARS full of powder- no one was buying >
    Someone is playing shenanigans.
    BTW, they wouldnt and wont sell to individuals.

Boolit Master
    I bet if you bought a box car full they would.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle333 View Post
    Yeah but WHERE Beagle? Even powder valley has almost nothing interesting. I've been shooting factory ammo out of my .308's because there is just zero amount of Varget available...............

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Boolit Grand Master

A pretty fair quantity available here!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Flinchbaugh View Post
    I'm calling BS on the whole powder thing. Last summer, I went looking nobody had and said they couldnt get it.
    I came home and called Western Powders. They said they had BOX CARS full of powder- no one was buying >
    Someone is playing shenanigans.
    BTW, they wouldnt and wont sell to individuals.
    Jim, Hahn's Sporting Goods down on Zimmerman Road has had powder all year, although not a huge selection.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master
    Powder availability is slowly increasing in my neck of the woods. Both of my LGS had some yesterday, as well as some primers. They both restrict sales to 1 pound per person per day to allow all their customers a chance. Primers are still in short supply, though. Only store that has any is charging 3.99 a flat.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    The Bullet Hole has plenty. Last gun show at the airport area had lots.

Bill
    Thanks. I'll check the Bullet Hole. I try not to go to gun shows. I don't like the idea of paying money to see if there is anything I want to buy. I'm no where near desperate right now. If I can't find some by next spring, I may rethink that though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawkhuntclub View Post
    Thanks. I'll check the Bullet Hole. I try not to go to gun shows. I don't like the idea of paying money to see if there is anything I want to buy. I'm no where near desperate right now. If I can't find some by next spring, I may rethink that though.
    That's where I used to get my powder, when I lived in Mission.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast