RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading Everything
Load Data
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: A.C.E. 12 Ga 740 Gr HB slug

There just a little lighter than the mold we will be getting from a.c.e.

Yea, and i prefer the extra weight. As soon as i get a 12ga loader im loading these up in 3" hulls to test them

Bullshop Jr,

The HB slugs I sent are about 600 grains, the solid slugs are around 750 grains. If you can find a lee loadall II and roll crimper for your drill press then you have all you need to load your slugs for not a lot of money.

BB

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbeans View Post
    Bullshop Jr,

The HB slugs I sent are about 600 grains, the solid slugs are around 750 grains. If you can find a lee loadall II and roll crimper for your drill press then you have all you need to load your slugs for not a lot of money.

BB
    I have enough tools that i could load a few, but am waiting for one of the older lyman loaders to show up. Was gonna load a few last night by hand but dont have any sutable powders.

Put me down for one.

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm not on the list! Don't miss post #59!! I'll take one 12 ga mould.

Have you made a prototype yet.

Please add me to the list as well! I can be reached at sgpenney (at) gmail.com
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting."
    - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Man

Put me on the list as well, please. rwsem at suddenlink dot net.

I've never loaded slugs before but just purchased a rifled barrel for my Fabarm camo mag, so I guess it's time.

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    Put me down for one. Looks like a big way to thump a critter.
    mvfester at gmail dot com no spaces

Now a question for anyone who might know. On rifled 12 bore barrels, is the throat a nice easy transition similar to a normal rifled cartrige barrel or is the throat an abrupt "cone" as in many standard shotgun barrels ?
    Mike in Peru
    Last edited by missionary5155; 11-14-2013 at 08:40 AM.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Usually its a standard shotgun forcing cone for rifled slug barrels as well.

For those of us having barrels custom chambered and/or the forcing cone modified the more abrupt the better for accuracy seems to be the result. Standard shotgun forcing cone is often too long not too short. Greg is the one who started us on that bent after he had a custom chamber/throat cutter made that used the same kind of throating as a straight walled cartridge carbine rifle would use (like for example a 44-mag carbine rifle) where the chamber was cut nice and tight to be a snug fit around a shotgun shell casing with no slope and a sharp lip edge right exactly at the end of the plastic casing length where the lip was the same height as the thickness of the plastic casing and then a short taper into the rifling just like a good rifle has so there is no "jump" that the bullet/slug has to make through an overbore size area in the forcing cone forward of the case mouth.

Basically following the same logic that has been well founded that a rifle with a long loose and sloppy throat hurts not helps accuracy and a shotgun forcing cone is indeed a long loose and sloppy throat so the cure is not a longer more gradual taper but rather a shorter sharper one with a nice tight chamber as well with a profile to the cut that is more rifle like and less shotgun like.

Greg's is a custom reamer he had made for a 3" shell chamber and made to ream a fresh barrel blank. An alternate solution that I and a few others have done is instead to re-cut a 3" chamber out to 3-1/2" and in the process fix the forcing cone problem with the deeper cut a process which can be accomplished just by a slight re-grind of the tip of a reasonably inexpensive internal cylindrical decimal reamer.

Here is a basically what I did to the chamber on one of my NEF-USH guns. Original 3" chamber with traditional 5-degree or so long shotgun forcing cone profile on top and my re-cut below followed by a close up of the new throat on the re-cut. I just basically ground a 30-degree angle into the forward tip of the reamer and cut to depth and just a trace of the original much shallower forcing cone was left and then I lapped the transition point between the two angles.

Greg used a much sharper almost square lip on his cut but I didn't think that was a wise idea with my longer 3-1/2" chamber because I still wanted to be able to fire shorter shells in my chamber and not get lead shaving build up on the lip like you get when firing 38-spl wadcutter loads in a 357-mag revolver that has a sharp lip transition into the throat. My first cut I used a sharper 45-degree angle and I did get a little build up with it so I re-ground to 30-degrees and then ran it just deep enough to keep the same length of chamber and just knock down the lip angle a little bit and then lapped the corner transition between the two angles like I said and it works good now. Very accurate with full length 3-1/2" shells and can fire shorter shells without getting any considerable build up packing in against the lip. As I said I didn't want to have the same problem as one has with 38-spl. wadcutter loads in a 357 where you have to take a good stiff chamber brush to the chambers to clean out the lead shavings before you can chamber and safely fire 357 loads again.

To illustrate why the shorter rifle throat like transition is more accurate and better for slug loads then a conventional long forcing cone I used MSpaint to draw in some slug shells with thick plastic walls into those to scale CAD prints. Green is the plastic case wall, bronze color is the case head and the grey is the lead slug with some blue lube in the grooves. I think you can clearly see the big jump gap that the forcing cone creates where as with a shorter rifle like throat the slug can go right into the rifling without having to jump an overbore size gap.

A couple years back my GF made some .gif animations to illustrate the forcing cone jump problem along with similar issues in revolver cartridges where shorter shells can be fired in longer chambers when she got into a big internet fight/debate over the issue over on the shotgun world forum. I'll ask if she still has those files and if so I'll post them since they are animated and show the problem visually.

Okay, just called her on her cell and she doesn't have the original files anymore but she told me where to find the thread where she posted them.

This is the link: http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/view...f=118&t=260656

Be warned, the info is good but it is an argument thread and she isn't very nice to argue with, especially when she is right and she knows she is right and she made some really nasty tear you down one way and the other posts on that forum and others and some social media as well which is why she no longer posts. She just gets into stuff way too deep and just shreds people on the net and especially on "guy stuff" forums it became a problem to the point where we were getting threatening phone calls after someone figured out her real name and she was exchanging verbal threats over the phone with the threatening middle of the night phone caller(s?) and I had to put my foot down and put an end to it.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    Thanks Turbo for the fine diagrams and explanation. Have to change my thinking a bit and remember this is just a larger bore rifle.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28

Boolit Buddy
    Turbo1889; I found your GIF file and will post for you

I have and will watch this as I love slug shooting and have loaded for years
    for the range and field

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imag...245898ff02.gif

Hope it works

Patrick
    Trust in God and Keep your Powder Dry ~ Oliver Cromwell

It's Said Republicans want to Pour all your Money down the Drain,,
    Where as the Democrats want a Bigger Drain,

Please Give me 24 to 48 Hours to respond to PM, Thank You

My Feedback, (did I buy or sell to you? Please add your Comments)
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter!

Banned

Updated thread, the drawing is at the company, I should have the cherry in 7 days or so. Then I will be cutting the first molds.

Back to the top. Thread has been quiet for a while.

I am in - I'll take two (2), please. Also, if you do offer additional pins (discussed in one of the posts), please add those in as well. I like the design as-is but would be happy with more options. Thx!!
    Last edited by AZBrian; 12-13-2013 at 11:30 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings and a free bump..... Mike in Peru

Boolit Grand Master
    More stupid questions.

1. With no wad, does the slug need to be lubed? If so, what do you use?
    2. Can it be shot in a 2 3/4" hull? If so, is there any load data. I would be more interested in loads on the light side than "thumper" loads.

Thanks,

Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    More stupid questions.

1. With no wad, does the slug need to be lubed? If so, what do you use?
    2. Can it be shot in a 2 3/4" hull? If so, is there any load data. I would be more interested in loads on the light side than "thumper" loads.

Thanks,

Don Verna

Yes, slug needs to be lubed. Most of us shooting these big slugs just coat them with the tumble lube stuff, either actually tumbling them, dipping them or one guy puts it on with a paint brush and another guy sprays it on with a paint sprayer. Long story short, tumble lube goop works and your choice how you get it onto the slug.

Some people have even pan-lubed big slugs like this one although that is harder to do with a hollow base slug then a solid one but certainly an option if your of the mind.

As to 2-3/4" shell loads they are certainly possible but you won't find load data for this much weight in that short of a shell usually so the best plan is to use a good slow burning powder like Blue Dot that doesn't have too low charge problems and take a load for this much weight of lead shot for a 3" shell and reduce the charge a whole bunch and put it in a 2-3/4" shell with just nitro cards and then work up a little until its about right. It's not the weight that's an issue in the shorter shell its the fact you have to reduce the charge because the cushioning effect of your wad column is reduced by having two less nitro cards in your stack.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast