Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
WidenersRepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: A.C.E. 12 Ga 740 Gr HB slug

Banned

Well, with Turbo on my thread I dont even have to answer my own questions! Thanks man! I do think it would be cheaper for someone like buckshot to make a sizing die if you deem it necessary, for me that would be another learning experience in fine machining.

For what it's worth .734 slug will have no issues going through a shotguns massive forcing cone at the end of the chamber, it is no different than sizing boolits for a revolver at .360 and shooting them through a .357 bore.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by turbo1889 View Post
    I think that would end up being too thin on the walls because according to my quick reference table the thread depth on a 7/8x14 thread leaves only 0.78" diameter of solid core diameter bottom of thread to bottom of thread on the opposite side. With 0.730" sizer (for example) that means only 0.025" wall thickness where the bottom of the thread grooves are. I don't think that's enough wall thickness left to be strong enough to actually size and would be a royal bear for the machinist to cut, that thin of walls your bound to start getting some chatter when boring.

I think you need at bare minimum 1" threads and most presses with a removable bushing to provide a larger thread the larger thread is either 1-1/4x12 or 1-1/2x12 thread so that is probably what would need to be for push through this big.

Also, the mold maker doesn't necessarily have to be the one who makes the push through dies as well. I know buckshot will make them and has for several on this board.

Me personally with shotgun slugs unless there is a considerable size difference I let the gun size the slug for me. Considerable size difference would be like a slug that cast 0.740" and I had one of those deliberately slightly tight rifled barrels that is only 0.727" or so in the major groove diameter (better accuracy resulted from those deliberately slightly tight barrels with commercial slug loads so that be why that company made them that way, and its not a bad idea since we all know that cast boolits usually need a thous. or two or so over bore diameter for best accuracy) then I size the slug down. But I wouldn't hesitate a micro-second to shoot a slug that cast at 0.730" through such a slightly tight barrel "as cast". In-fact I would consider that to be about ideal and would be the size I would size too for those internal barrel dimensions if the slug did need to be sized. I personally just love it when boolits drop right from the mold at just the right size for my barrel so I don't have to size and can just tumble lube, load, and shoot. One less thing that has to be done in order to get to the last step there.
    Most likely I'll have to contact Buckshot to have one made, I do have two Remington barrels that are .727, they shoot lights out at 100 yards with handloaded Guilandi slugs and Longshot, I think this will be a good slug load for them as well, oddly neither one likes any sabot I've ever shot from it and I've tried them all and handloaded a few two.
    I'm thinking I need to be .729 with these, maybe I'll just wait and see how the mould casts. I do have one press with the bigger threads, it would just be nice to not deal with popping it out to size slugs with.

Boolit Master

Here ya go,
    http://www.microgroup.com/Products/S...nal_tubing.asp
    Search for ".730" down in the 3/4 tube you will find it.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Not trying to step on anyone's toes or anything, just saw a question, looked up the thread dimensions in my chart and figured the resulting wall thickness and came to a "That's not going to work" conclusion and said so and offered alternatives.

Banned

I'm thinking a sizing die might be possible for the Lee Precision Breech Lock with the sizer being the same thread/pattern as the bushing. I think that is what turbo1889 is referring to. Also, the tubing linked by RED333 might work as well.

I don't have a breach lock press, I do have one of their "classic cast iron" presses and the top is actually threaded in the iron casting at 1-1/4x12 thread and the usual 7/8x14 thread you see up there is actually a steel bushing that screws into the larger thread. Just unscrew and you have access to the big thread. That was what I was talking about. Same thing is also true of a lot of other bigger size cast iron presses. On most the big thread in the iron casting is either 1-1/4x12 or 1-1/2x12 although some obscure and or really big monster presses have even bigger threads but they are the rarity.

Boolit Master

I am with turbo on this, you might not need to size the slug.
    When I get mine I will slug the barrel and choke I have to see
    if my stuff will work with out sizing, then go from there.
    I have not check to see if the tube I posted is mandrel sized of not.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Banned

Not trying to step on anyone's toes or anything, just saw a question, looked up the thread dimensions in my chart and figured the resulting wall thickness and came to a "That's not going to work" conclusion and said so and offered alternatives.
    I was serious when thanking you, I hope you did not take offense to my off beat humor.

No offense taken just explaining my actions in case I did step on anyones toes. Sometimes I can do that when someone asks a question directed at someone else and I know the answer so I jump in and answer when I wasn't the one being asked.

Boolit Master

Is any data available for a 1 3/4 oz slug like this? Pretty massive slug.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Banned

Yes - load data available.

Banned

"...you might not need to size the slug"

If you use a hard/hardened alloy I don't see how that would work. Softer alloy should swage itself down the barrel. Was reading slug reloading manual from BPI and noticed the following:

Slug Comparison Chart
    Part # Slug Name Ga/Size Weight Length Diam
    0721612 Dangerous Game Slug 12ga 1-1/8 oz 1.870 0.731
    1261232 Thug Slug 12ga 1-1/8 oz 1.822 0.731
    1261228 Thug Slug 12ga 1 oz 1.744 0.731
    0721610 LBC BluForce Sabot 12ga 1 oz 2.040 0.740
    0721613 Thunderbolt Slug 12ga 3" 1-7/16 oz 1.889 0.736
    7000002 Foster Slug 12ga 7/8 oz. 0.611 0.678
    7000003 Shuttlecock Slug 12ga 450 gr. 0.992 0.660
    7000004 Pumpkin Ball Slug 12ga 550 gr. 0.715 0.715
    7000005 Green Slug non-toxic 12ga 375 gr. 1.213 0.729
    336CTX12 CTX Frangible Slug 12ga 325 gr. 0.681 0.602
    0721616 Dangerous Game Slug 16ga 1 oz 1.842 0.668
    0721620 Dangerous Game Slug 20ga 7/8 oz 1.825 0.623
    1262025 Thug Slug 20ga 7/8 oz 1.708 0.622
    0721628 Light Game Slug 28ga 194 gr. 1.202 0.503
    0721641 Light Game Slug .410 93 gr. 1.327 0.387
    1264100 Thug Slug .410 1/4 oz. 1.572 0.408

So BPI has two slugs, one at .736" and another sabot slug at .740"
    I might try a 1 to 20 alloy. With a hard/hardened alloy I don't want to be over .730/.731 with my Mossberg

Banned

If you can push it through with a press and 100 lb of force a slug gun at 18K lb will not notice the .003 difference.

I am in, only want the HB pin model. Let me know when to make payment.

Also be interested in the 20ga HB mould when it comes around.

Thanks

BB

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm going to measure my barrels tomorrow and then stand by for an order. Looks good.

As to load data, just use 1-3/4oz. lead shot load data as "donor data" with a plastic gas seal over the powder and then start stacking nitro cards to get the right height for crimping works fine and is an endorsed methodology by one of the best small ammo companies that is famous for its slugs loads (Dixie Slugs). And my pressure trace records confirm that slugs of equal weight all other factors being held constant produce less chamber pressure then lead shot loads of equal weight contrary to popular belief and in accordance to what James the owner of Dixie Slugs has posted on this forum and others.

Boolit Buddy
    Load data: case of choice, fill with BP until there is just enough room for the slug plus a bit of compression, crimp of choice. Load and hang on. I have been using AA 2 3/4 hulls. Use hulls once and toss.

Boolit Master

As to load data, just use 1-3/4oz. lead shot load data as "donor data" with a plastic gas seal over the powder and then start stacking nitro cards to get the right height for crimping works fine and is an endorsed methodology by one of the best small ammo companies that is famous for its slugs loads (Dixie Slugs). And my pressure trace records confirm that slugs of equal weight all other factors being held constant produce less chamber pressure then lead shot loads of equal weight contrary to popular belief and in accordance to what James the owner of Dixie Slugs has posted on this forum and others.
    Thank you Turbo. I remember reading that now.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Grand Master
    OK. I'll take one. Add me to the list for the 12 ga, and notify me when the 20 ga comes along.

I recieved in the mail today some full bore test slugs from member biker beans. This seems to be real close to what he sent me

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast