RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need to kill 14 trees

Boolit Master
    Cottonwoods in this area that get that large usually have heart rot and can be dangerous. If most of the limbs and branches are falling on your side, the prevailing wind must be blowing them that way. The owner of a "danger tree" can be held liable for any damage if he is informed in advance. It may be time to cut and replant. Those types of trees often grow so fast that there might be only a couple years benefits lost before the new trees perform the same service. At least around here, the only things cottonwoods are good for is pulp for paper production (don't burn worth a darn as firewood) and it takes dozens of big ones to be worthwhile.

Boolit Buddy
    I may be the only one with a sense of humor here. Remember the possum and the quite load thread. At best it was a guy wanting to break the law in city limits. At worst it was a city kid wanting to off a teacher. He got 3 pages of advice on how to do it, I was roasted for my why kill it , trap it rant. Very and I mean very few saw that as wrong. Here killing some cottonwoods comes down as wrong. I lived by my neighbors Cottonwoodsfor 20 years. More of a weed than a tree. Wrong sure. more wrong than firing a round in city limits, I don't know. I lived in a rural area and used to get chased by Bubbas dog as I run my motorcycle to work on a dirt road. Dog would hide and barrel out as I come past. Walked down his drive in nice guy mode and the guy run me off. Told me it was my problem. Outside of town, no animal control, sheriff couldn't care less. One day I let the dog in my car and took him to the pound. Like the guy said "My Problem". Sometimes your on your own.

Does Ohio have a right to farm law? If so, his tree dropping sticks on your crop is his problem.
    If you're planting Round Up ready beans, and who isn't ;-(, a little over dose on that side of your field shouldn't bother you much.

Copper nails are available at shops that supply boat builders. Copper nails in a tree is a multi-year kill project. And the nails will show on a metal detector and at cutting.
    Copper sulphate is available at farm supply stores in areas with ponds.

Cotton wood, if the trees aren't hollow, makes for really nice looking cabinet wood.

Wire them up to a lightning rod!

Boolit Buddy
    I work with the Texas Dept of Agric, and let me tell you do not kill those trees. You will not only get into a legal issue with your neighbor, but youll get into some big time trouble with the State likewise, specially if he suspects illegal herbicide use killed them. I've seen many cases a lot lighter than this go to extreme measures. Just hope they fall down or die somehow.
    “People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf” — George Orwell

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	85572 you can girdle them but I'm sure that would be noticeable.
    "If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Grand Master

I had the same thoughts as the OP but in my case it was just one tree. It was hanging over the line and laying on the rubber roof of my car port. The neighbor would not cut the tree down. And I use the term tree losely because it was a Locust which is just a big weed. So I cut everything off that was on my side of the line, which was half the tree. It looked so bad that the neighbors decided to cut it down completely a few weeks ago. It doesn't seem like this solution will work for the OP. But for someone living in a town it just might.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by capt.hollis View Post
    I work with the Texas Dept of Agric, and let me tell you do not kill those trees. You will not only get into a legal issue with your neighbor, but you'll get into some big time trouble with the State likewise, specially if he suspects illegal herbicide use killed them. I've seen many cases a lot lighter than this go to extreme measures. Just hope they fall down or die somehow.
    Oh' heck , hes right of course. Our local paper carried a story of a guy who got caught dumping a gallon waste oil in a storm sewer and they fined him ten grand. Job I was on the EPA showed up (concerned neighbor) cause of some sewer overflow. Normally no big deal but they made the guy pull the trailer off the lot and replace the dirt seven inches down. If your caught it never ends- Just not worth the grief.

Boolit Grand Master

Seems to me most cottonwoods don't live long, ones this big probably won't live much longer anyway. Then you can ask him to cut them down before they fall down.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

I know here in Tn. our cottowoods grow quite big and tall most limbs are in the top, most lower fall off when small to med in size. I have some 30 to 34 in across and they don't grow fast as one would like to think. Trimming limbs on ones property side is legal killing or cutting the tree is illegal. Now that said, in most property lines if the tree sets "on the line" one can legally cut everyother tree as his own while the tree in between is the neighbors and has to be left alone. Don't get confused with cottonwood and basswood. Not alot of dif. except the edge of the leaves are dif. look nit upo on the net and see which it is. Lots of bass have been destroyed when people thought they were cottowood. As said before 14 trees dieing is kindof a giveaway as to intentional damage. If in dought take a few leaves to local ag or library and you can find out quickly. Baaswood is great for furniture frames and pays good money per board foot. Maybe if they are basswood the neighbor might share money if you cut and haul to mill. I farm also and limbs are a pain but good neighbors are hard to come by!! Best bet is trim limbs on yourside and leave well enough alone, walk away happy and honest at heart.
    CD

Boolit Master

Not sure if you can get this stuff but it worked great when Edison sprayed it! http://www.dowagro.com/vm/products/garlon_4_ultra.htm

THERE ARE OTHER PRODUCTS ON THE PAGE ALSO.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Leave them poor trees alone, they ain't hurtin' nothin'. We need all the trees we can keep. Go shoot some prairie dogs, it'll make ya feel better. Prairie rats, we don't need.

I would consider a stainless steel wire girdling the tree low as you can without digging. Use a swifter(twister stick) on your side of the line and give it a crank now and then, it will kill it but not in a year.
    "Them that don't know him won't like him and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him, he ain't wrong he's just different and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right"
    Ed Bruce

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Just get used to dealing with the limbs, as a part of your business. I hate to see people ripping out shelter belts when they think they are in the way.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

LOL!
    Your ISP has ALL your info and all it takes is the local cops asking and they tell all. ZERO privacy on the web if
    the authorities have any interest at all. They need nothing from your personal computer, just copies of what you posted
    and the ISP records showing where it originated from.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    You might want to read up on this: http://ohioline.osu.edu/for-fact/pdf/F_97_13.pdf . Treble damages could really hurt the pocket book for 14 trees, even if they are cheap cottonwoods. You don't even want to know what they are valued at if they are close enough to a home to be considered a yard tree.

do it legal
    dig a trench along your property line deep enough to cut the roots of the trees, and be sure to cut the roots use a saw if you have to
    if enough of the root system of the tree is damaged the tree will die this will not get to all of them but it will take out the ones next to the property line

Boolit Master

I'm getting into this discussion a little late but it used to be that according to Ohio Fence Law that property owners were required to a keep a clear strip 4 feet wide on their side of a line fence. I don't think anyone paid any attention to it but it was the law. The fence laws were changed radically several years ago but it may still apply. Your county extension agent can point you in the right direction if you can't find the laws yourself. I used it on my own logger when we were timbering in 2000. There was an oak tree an inch or so under the cutting minimum of 18" DBH that we had agreed on. He balked at cutting it but I wanted it gone so I showed him the requirement for the 4 foot clear strip. I won the argument.
    Chuck

Boolit Master

Tordon 22k at leaf fall but it will be obvious.

Don't ask for information pertaining to potentially illegal activities online. By the way anyone know how I can kill a few a chickens next to my property?

Seriously man, just trim what you can and deal with it.