Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need to kill 14 trees

Boolit Master

Need to kill 14 trees , Problem solved

Talked to his wife today and the problem is solved

Well I hate to do this
    But there are 14 Cottenwood trees that are becoming a problem
    All of them are at least 30 - 36" in dia and dropping branchs in my field every good wind
    I spent 2 hours this morning picking up branchs so the beans can be harvested

The problem is the all trees are right on the property line
    The other land owner is a nice guy , but dosn't want the trees cut

So I need to kill the trees from my side and not show I did it

Any idea of something I can put in a hole next to the trees to kill them ?
    But not kill all the crops in the field , or be quick
    To work before the field is planted next year
    Killing other brush and stuff along the fence line would be great

On the other side of the fence is a limestone ridge that isn't farmed

John
    Last edited by Johnch; 10-28-2013 at 05:09 PM.
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Grand Master

It is illegal to kill trees that don't belong to you. You can however, trim them back straight up the property line.

BTW, wouldn't killing them cause them to drop even more branches on your property?
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master

I'm told copper nails driven into the base/trunk/roots of the tree works. Also diesel fuel around the base but that shows and smells.

Boolit Master

Somebody might possibly take a cordless drill with a long auger bit, and drill into the base of the tree at a downward angle...

They could then pour in some roundup, or diesel, or some stump remover...

Just saying, it could happen...
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

In Remembrance

Had an old timer tell me once how to kill a tree with no visible evidence. Buy a pound of 8 penny brad headed copper nails. Drive them into the trunk of the tree about a foot apart around the circumference a foot or so above the soil level. May take a few years, but it`ll kill the tree.Robert

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    My vote would be to prune back all the limbs/branches on my side of the property.
    Shoot'em If You Got'em...

Copper Sulfate ...... ala .... root kill , the same stuff that is on the shelf at your hardware store for dumping in your sewer line for root problems .
    Had a huge Chinese elm just over the neighbors fence that hung over my house and gave my sewer line root problems ....
    an occasional hand full spread out so that it was not noticeable as it was in grass and sometimes watered ...the blue sulfate kernels would dissipate with the watering ....
    took time but the tree is dead .
    the house went thru ownership several times , so I was the only one that could deal with it responsibly ....
    Had to cut it back my self while the bank owned it in foreclosure but took pics of it with all the dead limbs hanging over to look legit .
    Nobody else would deal with it ..... so I did.
    By the way .... went thru all the legal channels of paperwork notification to the entity's that be at the time and received no replies ...ignored.
    Last edited by Digger; 10-27-2013 at 12:00 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    A family of beavers can legally kill those trees for you.

I'd ask the nice guy neighbor to help me pick up the branches. He may let you cut the trees after few limb removal days.

Boolit Buddy
    In my business we sold Copper Sulfate as a root killer, (stopping roots growing in sewers) . One of my customers mixed two pounds flushed it in the toilet and left for a two week vacation. He had tree roots yearly in his sewer, due to neighbors maple tree. When he got home he called me to cut out roots, While it was July , that maple tree was dropping leaves all over. Neighbor accused him, but he "don't know nothing". That said I would not do what your thinking. Cottonwoods have to wide a root network and that poison will spread , seep, into the unknown. I could write pages here but it would not change the above .
    To kill a tree effective you want to cut a line through its bark all the way around it, that will stop its ability to pass nutriments . Another old time method that I wont try would be driving copper nails in it. I always thought this was more of a joke cause I never saw a copper nail. To be effective would have to be a lot of them or a big one. Big one would be "tree spiking " , not cool at all if someone runs a chainsaw through it.
    If the tree is cut and all that remains is a stump , drilling 1/2 inch holes in the top and filling them with rock salt will kill it proper , preventing the shoots from haunting you.
    Possible a guy could angle auger a hole inside of trunk, pour in "round up" (turkey baster) and plug it, but with 14 trees, someones going to know someone did something.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    It is illegal to kill trees that don't belong to you. You can however, trim them back straight up the property line.

BTW, wouldn't killing them cause them to drop even more branches on your property?
    OK true

More branchs if 1 time would be OK

Should have said I want to kill the 18 - 24" of each tree on my side of the fence line
    As I am the only one that can get to them
    The limestone ridge stops the other land owner from even getting close expect to hike over 1/2 of a mile of nasty

BTW I have a agreement that allows me to cut dead or dying trees on his land that he can't get to
    I can sell the logs to the saw mill ( not sure what the use )

So I was just trying to be nice when I ask to cut them

Probely should have just said they were dying if he ask

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Buddy
    Let me add this to my last post. If you do decide to take matters into your own hands ,don't but the materials local and don't pay with a credit card. Remember that "big brother watches you all over , even has a tape of you entering the store.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnch View Post
    OK true

Should have said I want to kill the 18 - 24" of each tree on my side of the fence line
    The limestone ridge stops the other land owner from even getting close expect to hike over 1/2 of a mile of nasty

BTW I have a agreement that allows me to cut dead or dying trees on his land that he can't get to

John
    If he can't access them from his side I would suggest you go get him and bring him over to your side and explained the situation. Also mention that he can't even get to the trees so really no loss for him. Maybe if you offer to cut em give him the cash from the saw mill it may sway him a bit. Hard for anyone to pass up money for something they can't use/see.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

If you do end up cutting one of those trees down I sure would like to have a 6 inch slice of one of the trunks about 24 inches in dia.

They make excellent tomahawk/knife throwing backstops, which BTW are hard to find.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bored1 View Post
    If he can't access them from his side I would suggest you go get him and bring him over to your side and explained the situation. Also mention that he can't even get to the trees so really no loss for him. Maybe if you offer to cut em give him the cash from the saw mill it may sway him a bit. Hard for anyone to pass up money for something they can't use/see.
    This sounds like a good idea, but I've never seen a Cottonwood tree worth any $$$...
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Johnch View Post
    OK true

John
    It wouldn't be one time. Dead trees drop branches over a period of many years. Cutting them down because they were dying would be a one time thing, but the trees aren't yours to kill.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master

Don't do it. Not only is it illegal - IT IS WRONG.. Send him a bill for your labor and you damages if he will not cooperate - Or have him clean it up. I deal with the same problem every year - except with Willow trees. I doubt my neighbor is as nice as yours. It all get pitched on to his side of the line.
    Last edited by square butte; 10-27-2013 at 01:45 PM.
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Master

I may be wrong but had a summer job killing sweet gum trees we would ring the tree with a hatchet and put lye in the cut to prevent it from sprouting. That was sixty-five or so years ago.If lye was to keep it from sprouting why wouldn't also kill through the roots.

Boolit Grand Master

Now that you posted it online, if you do it and the guy wants to go after you legally, you
    are in deep kimshee. It will be easy to prove it was you. Anybody doing a bit of online
    searching will find it and by the way - even if you delete this now, it is in the permanent
    archives and can still be found in searches.

Kinda screwed the pooch here.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy

About the only way I see that is if they take his computer, Know one can reference his real name to this site that I can see . Doubtful the FBI will get involved in "tree murder". Quick place computer in oven and cook at 450 for one hour....

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by unclogum bill View Post

About the only way I see that is if they take his computer, Know one can reference his real name to this site that I can see . Doubtful the FBI will get involved in "tree murder". Quick place computer in oven and cook at 450 for one hour....
    In this day and time one never knows, it kind of depends on who the neighbor knows.

I would not kill any trees not on my side of the property line with out the neighbors permission, if they were really a problem I would trim them back to the property line.