Load DataRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
RepackboxSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yelled at Cabelas today

Boolit Buddy

Yelled at Cabelas today

Hi guys, had a bad day

last night ordered round ball mold and 2 lbs of FFFG blackpowder online from cabelas

Got an email today saying that the additional shipping fee to ship blackpowder was 142$

I thought this was the total amount which seemed rediculous so I called and found out that it was 142 dollars ontop of my order as canada post and ups do not ship dangerous goods

I called and the lady i talked to was unwilling to see my point of view

me: So your telling me it costs 170 dollars to ship gunpowder?
    lady: yes thats correct

me:Can you read that back to me
    lady: it costs 170$ to ship 2 lbs of gunpowder

me: so your telling me that after shipping each lb of gunpowder is 75$
    lady: yes thats correct

me: are you retarded? nobody would pay that
    lady: people do all the time

me:no they dont
    lady: yes they do

me: Youve got to be kidding lady, how does anyone order gunpowder from your website
    lady:click

I lost faith in cabelas after that phone call. Is there something I am missing here? Am I taking crazy pills?

There is no cabelas within a 12 hour drive from here or I would have personally gone to their office and chatted up this lady some more

Well all I can say is being rude to the call center person isn't going to do you any good.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

from what i can see is that there is a difference between gunpowder ( classified as a flammable ) and black powder ( classified as a explosive ) ie; different regulations and stricter control of the latter , if you order pyrodex ( which one can often see sitting out on the shelf of a walmart that doesnt even sell regular gunpowder ) it'd be more along the lines of normal hazmat fee's, sadly asking to ship explosives in this day and age is gonna cost you , and, yes, there are some people who either have the desire to get those explosives bad enough to pay that fee or have more money than sense [shrugz] around here black is $10-$20 a pound eg; cheap enough to stock up on when one finds it
    there's always the thread on home made black btw ...
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Boolit Master
    HAW!HAW!HAW! KARMA BABY! I recall back in 1993 when on a trip to Niagra Falls you durn beaver-dragging Canucks diddled me $6 for a beer. The same beer on the American side was $1 so suck it up. Ohhh happy day that I have lived long enough to read this. The wheels of justice grind slowly....but they grind fine...aye? Audie...the Oldfart... (while the post is factual...please consider it my poor attempt at humor)

Boolit Buddy

From Florida originally, but these days it's wherever my RV is parked
    Quote Originally Posted by oldfart1956 View Post
    HAW!HAW!HAW! KARMA BABY! I recall back in 1993 when on a trip to Niagra Falls you durn beaver-dragging Canucks diddled me $6 for a beer. The same beer on the American side was $1 so suck it up. Ohhh happy day that I have lived long enough to read this. The wheels of justice grind slowly....but they grind fine...aye? Audie...the Oldfart... (while the post is factual...please consider it my poor attempt at humor)
    Yeah, I've wondered why a Canadian beer would cost more in Canada than it does in the US.
    Home is where the RV is...

"assassinating a leader is morally justified when people have suffered under a tyrant for an extended period of time and has exhausted all legal and peaceful means to overthrow that leader" -- Abraham Lincoln
    Kind of ironic, don't ya' think?

Boolit Grand Master

Everyone knows that shipping on smokeless and especially black powder is very expensive and you have to buy a large quantity of it to make the shipping worthwhile. Pay it, buy local or do without. Your telephone manner was completely uncalled for.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Grand Master
    Yelling accomplished what?

Almost this entire board could tell you that shipping on 2 pounds of powder will dramatically increase cost per pound.

Ask, don't assume. Be polite, it does pay off.

Being expensive is one thing.
    But $75 per pound??? Thats robbery plain and simple.

Cabelas is a joke around here. I live in big game hunting central and not many get hunting supplies and no reloading supplies at the local Cabelas. Every where else is cheaper.

Call Wholesale sports. You may get a different response. I attempt to make all my powder purchases in person when I get to the big city, and stock up when you get there, it saves a lot of hassle.

Generally the only items I "buy" from Cabelas, I pay for with points using their credit card. The only thing that irritates me about Cabelas is that I don't live too far from them, and they used to charge hazmat to ship primers and powder to their own store. They have since eliminated the "Ship to Store" option on hazmat.

Overall, I am really happy with Cabelas, as their credit card points system allows me to reload for just the cost of the lead that I buy--since I purchase powder and primers at the store with points. Right now it is costing me roughly $0.02 to reload 45 acp, 38 Special and 357 Magnum, and about $0.01 to reload 9mm.
    My Feedback, (did I buy or sell to you? Please add your Comments)
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hlight=novalty

bhn22
    And it's not even Cabelas policy. It's the ICC, and the carriers. Many times black powder has to be shipped by truck, as hazmat. I don't believe UPS will touch the stuff anymore.

Super Moderator

My last order of FFFG was from Graf's. Some friends & I opted to split up a case, thereby greatly reducing the hazmat per pound. It was shipped UPS, adult signature required, to my work. Ordering only a couple of pounds you wind up paying through the nose for hazmat & shipping. Yeah, being polite and respectful will get you much further. Being rude will get you hung up on.

Boolit Master
    Well, I for one, believe that the occasional A$$ chewing is a good thing. Maybe the lady on the phone isnt
    the one who reserved it, but she did answer the phone. I'd would have asked for the person in charge.

If it cost 75 bucks to ship a POUND of powder, then how can ANY powder be available in ANY store for less than 100 bucks a pound?
    They are screwing us people, they need to be told. Libtards don't understand reason or nicey nice.

Cabelas prices are a joke. I NEVER buy anything from them. Gander is very high as well...sometimes I will buy from them if I'm desperate for something.
    You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
    You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.
    You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down.
    You cannot further brotherhood of a man by inciting class hatred.
    You cannot build character and courage by taking away people’s initiative and independence.
    You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves.

Banned

you should have asked one more question.
    how much is the haz-mat fee on 100 pounds.

Boolit Master

Cabellas is not and never has been on my shopping list. Too expensive and the folks there are mostly tree hugging fools.
    Marty-hiding out in the hills.

Boolit Master

Crater Fireworks - the only place I buy my BP from, because their price can't be beat (for Swiss anyway) and their service is great...

And yes - buy a case at a time because Hazmat is pricey...

http://addictedtoblackpowder.com/2.html

Boolit Man
    Hazmat fees from Graf and sons is 27.95 for a couple pounds of Black Powder but I do not know if your problem might be related to shipping to or in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Flinchbaugh View Post
    If it cost 75 bucks to ship a POUND of powder, then how can ANY powder be available in ANY store for less than 100 bucks a pound?
    They are screwing us people, they need to be told. Libtards don't understand reason or nicey nice.
    Because they ship in bulk. I doubt Cabelas stocks their store inventory 1lb at a time.

If you order 20 types of powder in 8lb jugs the Hazmat fee is still the same as 1lb of powder. The real issue here is shipping regulations between the USA and Canada.
    My Feedback, (did I buy or sell to you? Please add your Comments)
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hlight=novalty

Boolit Buddy
    found a goex distributor with 10 km of my place

going to ask him if he had to pay the 75 dollars for shipping

I'm going to call cabelas today and do more yelling

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast