Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load DataTitan Reloading
RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline FabricationWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FFFG in a .54 Cal.

Hey, take heart! Better to shoot yer chronograph" than what this unwise Oreganer shot!
    https://www.oregonlive.com/news/2020...-cops-say.html
    : )
    To make things worse, in the ambulance ride on the way to the ER, he managed to reach his phone and Google: "patch balls"... ended up on our forum!
    LongJnSilver
    John Wade Long, Jr.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by LongJnSilver View Post
    Hey, take heart! Better to shoot yer chronograph" than what this unwise Oreganer shot!
    https://www.oregonlive.com/news/2020...-cops-say.html
    : )
    To make things worse, in the ambulance ride on the way to the ER, he managed to reach his phone and Google: "patch balls"... ended up on our forum!
    I have to ask, why post on a 2013 thread about 3F powder in a .54 cal with a story about a Sept 2020 accident

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Caswell Ranch View Post
    I have to ask, why post on a 2013 thread about 3F powder in a .54 cal with a story about a Sept 2020 accident
    Threads never die here!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Threads never die here!
    But it has nothing to do with the original thread

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Caswell Ranch View Post
    But it has nothing to do with the original thread
    We tend to do that, too! I've seen topics started on such topics as head spacing, and before you know it, the discussion has turned to John Deere tractors! This forum is famous for topic drift.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fly View Post
    Well I agree 100% with the above quote.I,m only using 70 grains 3 fffg & getting over 1300 fps from a round ball.Why use 100 grain of 2 ffg & get
    the same fps?
    Fly jmohop
    Reason is 3F gets there faster, 100 grains of 2F is most likely out the muzzle before it is done/3F is done before . Thats why 3F is used in pistols/Ed

Boolit Master

old rule was to reduce load by 10-15% when using 3f instead of 2f
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Master

I always preferred 3f in my 50 and used it in bigger , but have used 2f and even 1f before , shot heavy loads and light loads , much prefer a more middle of the road and it still is plenty for most of my shooting at rocks cans and paper , and if I go hunting again I see no reason to stuff a heavy load in it , 3f fills my needs for rifle and pistol and is all I use in my flintlock and cap guns .

I like to see old threads come back , and do not mind the drift at times .

My standard load for all my .54cals in a .530 RB or .54cal Maxi-Ball over 100 grains of FF. They both hit a KILL good.
    wear your scars with pride, a scarless man hasn't felt the hardship of life......

This really DOES fit perfectly in what happened today, as I just bought my first muzzle loading rifle, a TC Renegade in .54, and the only powder I have is Goex 3F, Olde Eynsforde 3F and Pyrodex P. So, if I read correctly the load is between 70 and 90 grains of 3F under a patched round ball?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by oldfart1956 View Post
    Like many here I use 3fg in everything....from the .36 cal. T/C Patriot to the Brown Bess. I buy it in 25lb. loose cases then can it up in Goex cans donated by friends and family. Twenty cans will hold 25lbs. of powder if you bump them a bit to settle the powder. I shoot mainly smoothbores so no need to load heavy...but turkey loads in the Bess are.....brisk. The 3fg keeps the fouling down, I don't have the time or patience to wipe between shots, and doing that with many of the patent style breeches will cause as many problems as it solves. A word of caution...if you're the type that doesn't focus on the task at hand a double-charge of 2fg would probably be survivable....doing that with 3fg may not be. So be forewarned. Audie....the Oldfart..
    So where does one purchase a 25lb case of powder?

Boolit Master
    I mostly shoot 70 gr of 3f in my .54s.
    Or 90 gr of homemade because the density of my home made is just a little less, especially my screened powder

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shanghai Jack View Post
    So where does one purchase a 25lb case of powder?
    Powder Inc. sells 25lb cases, you can even get 2 cases on the same purchase/shipment.
    An old Cherokee was teaching his grandson about life. "Inside me two wolves fight," he told the boy.
    "One is evil - he is anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity, resentment, lies, false pride, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, generosity, truth and faith. The same fight is inside you - and every other person, too."
    The grandson thought for a minute and asked,"Which wolf will win?"
    The old Cherokee replied, "The one you feed."

Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    I mostly shoot 70 gr of 3f in my .54s.
    Or 90 gr of homemade because the density of my home made is just a little less, especially my screened powder
    And I will try that. Just so everyone is aware, this IS a LAGS rifle! That means quality.

Boolit Master
    My old Lyman Black Powder Handbook has loads with G-O 3f for 54 rifles for both RB and conicals. I have no clue how to scan and send but if anyone needs the data can copy and snail mail.

Boolit Master
    Its suggested in the Thomson C instruction manual above 50 cal 2-FFG is used. Using 3-FFFG in 54 & larger bores would require a work up in powder charging's for best accuracy which is the best way for anyone's B/powder use - I think. Especially so when not having the manufactures B/P instruction manual handy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich/WIS View Post
    My old Lyman Black Powder Handbook has loads with G-O 3f for 54 rifles for both RB and conicals. I have no clue how to scan and send but if anyone needs the data can copy and snail mail.
    You could take the pics with your phone and upload?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by armoredman View Post
    This really DOES fit perfectly in what happened today, as I just bought my first muzzle loading rifle, a TC Renegade in .54, and the only powder I have is Goex 3F, Olde Eynsforde 3F and Pyrodex P. So, if I read correctly the load is between 70 and 90 grains of 3F under a patched round ball?
    This is in the Lyman blackpowder manual for a 54 caliber with 28" barrel.

FFFg Goex

Pyrodex P

My advice is to stick with 70 grains of either to start. Find the best ball and patch combo before adjusting powder.

Boolit Buddy
    Hows this for 3f in a 54 flintlock?
    Yeah, it's not a problem if you cut your charge a bit and work for best accuracy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kibler.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	13.3 KB 
ID:	297014
    A man cannot have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition.
    Rudyard Kipling

Palmetto Sharpshooters
    North South Skirmish Association
    NRA Muzzleloading Instructor

Today I discovered that 30grs of FFFFG shoots to the sights on my .54 Lyman Plains Pistol that is regulated ( by me) for 50grs of FFG. I'll continue to use 2F until it's gone or save it for hunting and use up this Pyrodex RS that I have for plinking.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast