RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any harm in shooting cast through a brand new barrel?

Any harm in shooting cast through a brand new barrel?

Hi all, I finally picked up a brand new Ruger 77/357mag today and I'm itching to put some rounds down range.

Problem is the local shop was out of jacketed projectiles for me to load and the factory ammo was over priced. What's the opinion, is it ok to put some cast loads through a brand new barrel after a good hoppe's scrubbing or should I wait and use jacketed to smooth out the barrel?

Thanks for your thoughts, Dave.
    Say hello to Smith & Wesson and their 6 children all named .357 magnum.

Boolit Buddy
    I don't see any harm in it, but maybe some of these other guys could explain if there was ? I've done it many times with new barrels.
    “People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf” — George Orwell

ALL of my pistols have ONLY had cast down the tube, rifles I do not know about that.

Boolit Buddy
    NOOOOOOO! don't do it, its an addiction once you do the only cure will be to keep doing it, run for the hills save yourself.....

No longer living in the High Country, Australia, a lowlander now.
    Go for it ........ if you have a micrometer available, check the boolit size you are going to use just to be on the safe side.

.358 minimum for a cast load.

"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so too."

Banned

Just shoot it. If it's rough enough to cause problems with lead, shoot a few paper-patched boolits through it.

Gear

Thanks guys. I've got some checked Lee 358-158-SWC's sized to .358 loaded up with 14.5gr 2205. I'll see how they shoot.

I read that swc's wont load through the rotary mag but 5 dummy rounds chambered perfectly, just have to treat it like a Lee Enfield, work the bolt hard and fast.
    Say hello to Smith & Wesson and their 6 children all named .357 magnum.

Banned

I put a Shilen Select Match barrel on my 308 win barrel. It has 5 jacketed bullets threw it. That was to just break the throat in a little faster than lead would do. After that is has had nothing but lead. I am a little over 1K rounds through it.

Boolit Grand Master

If you're really worried about it, roll five of your boolits in valve grinding compound and shoot them about 800fps.
    After that, carry on my wayward son.

Honestly, cast lead is just fine right out of the box, especially with that caliber!
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    Just shoot it. If it's rough enough to cause problems with lead, shoot a few paper-patched boolits through it.

Gear
    ditto this.
    I have a few rifles/handguns that were bought new that I don't even own any jaxketed bullets for.
    and have never seen a factory round. [except the test fire at the factory]

Boolit Master
    I'd be more concerned with the choice of bullets/boolits. I have seen the 44 Magnum lever action from Ruger have feeding problems using the rotary clip. Rims from lower positioned rounds can slip forward, in front of the round above it, effectively locking the gun up. If you open your bolt and can't strip a round from the mag, you'll know the likely cause.
    It appeared that projectile choice "might" be a cure. If a round was long enough to prevent the forward slippage without binding it should solve the problem.
    What would have been optimum was if Ruger had designed the removable rotary clip with a ridge in front of the rims, or a recess for them to slide into, to prevent the possibility of that jumping. That would have allowed any projectile to be used.
    I don't know if others have seen this problem regularly or if Ruger solved the problem since those days.

Boolit Master
    My 45-70 has never had a single jacketed round or gas checked round down the pipe and it shoots fantastic. Nothing but plain base boolits since it was new.

Love Life
    5 gr of unique under a Lee 358-125-RF in 38 special brass will punch lights out at 100 yds from that rifle.

Easy shooting, no leading, accurate.

Boolit Buddy
    I don't really know if it helps or not on the throat an bore, but I always break them in or season the metal. Shoot a round, clean it all up, shoot another round an clean it up. I fire 10-15 rds. this way then I will shoot two an clean for another 10 rds. Then shoot 3rds. an clean. I'll go thru 50 for a handgun and 100 for a rifle. The money I payed for whatever didn't come easy, so I will try to protect my new gem.
    I have been doing the same for my H-D motors since 1965. I have one motor with over 450,000 miles on her. My daily 03 has over 200,000 on her. Heat treating the metal works on them, so it should work on my guns. Heat cycles with a cool down. Vary the cycle times progressing until I can throw a leg over her an go for a short ride. Then longer and longer. It just plain works.
    Goodsteels method works just as will and have used it on bores.

Ghost101

As Troy Landry says "Choot Em !"
    My 77/357 has never had a J word down the tube! Even took a world record caterpillar with it using cast at 103 yards. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imag...c820cdb27c.jpg

8.5 grains of surplus 10B101 powder and a cast boolit sure makes for real cheap chootin.

Boolit Mold
    Hello all 1 Post on Here

I had ,and still do on most of my firearms .. we not problem .. Who do you like the Ruger 77/357mag I have a Rossi R92 it is a great lever gun

Boolit Master
    How did people ever break in a new barrel before copper condoms were invented? Think of all those poor Colts, Sharps, Rolling blocks and trapdoors that were never broken in with a jacketed bullet!

Boolit Master
    I can't imagine shooting anything but cast bullets through a 357 mag rifle. Starting with cast and only shooting cast will never hurt a barrel.

Some barrels do benefit from either running some condum bullets or fire lapping, but don't do that until the barrel shows it needs some help.

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    If a brand new barrel is so rough that it has issues with cast, I'd return the gun. I find the whole idea of 'break in' is overrated.

Boolit Buddy
    Mt idea of break in is to start them out with my favorite cast load.