Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which 5.56 dies and why?

Which 5.56 dies and why?

Looking to pick up some dies for an AR15 with a NATO barrel. I want some info which you think are the best for that setup. And do I need just two to get the job done?

On a side note, I have some extra steel mags I acquired. 30 round type, 35 or so. If anyone has spare dies, maybe we could do a trade!
    Using Tapatalk

Hmm, more research to be had!
    Using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

Lee dies should be fine. .223/5.56 are physically the same size when loaded, it is the chambers of the guns that are slightly different.

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pretzelxx View Post
    Looking to pick up some dies for an AR15 with a NATO barrel. I want some info which you think are the best for that setup. And do I need just two to get the job done?

On a side note, I have some extra steel mags I acquired. 30 round type, 35 or so. If anyone has spare dies, maybe we could do a trade!
    Before I can give you my best answer, I'd like to know what reloading press you are going to use and if you have purchased the press yet. The reason why relates to processing methods, time and the end product.

I've got the LnL classic single stage.
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

RCBS makes a specific die set that is made for AR's. They call it their AR-Series dies. They make them in .223/5.56 and also make ones for .308 AR's (AR-10 type). They are kind of between a FL and a SB die, to ensure reliable feeding time after time in a semi-auto chamber, without being a real SB die which may shorten the life of your cases.

Personally, I have the RCBS X-die, which I use for my AR, because I HATE resizing cases. The X-die is supposed to eliminate that. Those two sets would be my suggestion.

Thanks, I will look into both!
    Using Tapatalk

bhn22
    Hornady sizing dies are small-base, and when you couple this with their floating bullet seater, puts Hornady at the top of the heap for semi-autos. Equally as good IME are Redding dies, although they do not use the floating seater. If you're going to shoot any real volume in the gun, resign yourself to needing a case trimmer. If RCBS "X" dies were a great advantage, more companies would be offering similar designs. Look how fast the bushing dies caught on. Does your rifle have a 5.56 chamber, a 223 chamber, or one of the hybrids? Many of the barrels marked 5.56 are actually .223, and this will make a difference with your loading data. Standard 223 load data is safe in all versions properly worked up, but be very careful when experimenting with 5.56 loads, they're too hot for 223 chambers. The guns I had came chambered in civilian .223, and I had the throats opened up to 5.56.

Boolit Master
    I use the Redding FL Bushing dies that way I can size the case for the headspace and use the correct size bushing to control the neck tension without overworking the case necks.

Boolit Grand Master
    I use the same does as Doc Higwall. I found they produced excellent 600 yard ammo.

It's a true 556 chamber, thanks for the info!
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

pretzelxx

The standard RCBS X die is my recommendation for your AR15 with a NATO barrel. With the X die you will not have to trim the cases. even though the directions say to initially trim you don't need to. I've set my X die with headspace for the max case headspace and the mandrel stop at the max length of my case gauge. I've gauged a bajillion cases and they all come out to spec. I've fired my cases in my own 3 ARs and in others with no problems. Cases sized in the X die are as accurate in the ARs, even my Colt Match Competition AR, as those sized with a Bonanza Benchrest or Redding bushing dies with the long seated 69 & 75 gr match bullets for 600 yard slow fire shooting.

Not having to trim cases safes a lot of time and tedious case prep.

Case life is increased 3 - 4 times.

The small base (SB) or the "AR" dies are not needed with your chamber.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    You'll quickly find that your AR eats ammo at a much faster rate than a single stage can feed it. But it's a good place to start reloading and refine your reloading technique to give you the best, most accurate ammunition you can build for your AR.

Larry gives you some good advice for reloading in your single stage press. I'll add to it by saying buy the X-die to save trimming and then buy a Forster (not a Redding) Benchrest seating die, their best seating die. Buy a case gauge and follow Larry's advice to: "set you X die (full length resizer) with headspace (set) for the max case headspace and the mandrel stop at the max length of my case gauge."

Adding the Forster premium seating die to the X-die gives you the best possible seating (runout, etc.) and allows you to precisely control the seating depth. Between the two, you'll get cases that fit, feed and are accurate in your AR rifles along with a minimum amount of case prep. And with a single stage feeding an AR, you'll have more reloading work than you wish for in the first place.

Why the Forster and not the Redding? 1. Doesn't leave a mark on your bullets like the Redding does. 2. Bigger, easier to read and adjust micrometer scale/knob. 3. Less delicate and Forster doesn't have a problem with you reloading compressed loads in your cartridges and loading them with your Forster seating die. Redding does and doesn't warranty it when it breaks and they do break reloading compressed loads.

Why compressed loads? Ask the serious High Power shooter teams who are loading up 77 grain bthp's for the six hundred yard line. Gives you the most oomph and accuracy at that range in your AR's and still fits in your magazine.

Hope this helps,

Boolit Master

I would stay away from Lyman dies for the .223 based on my experience. The "nut" that locks the decapping pin/neck sizing button in place is small in diameter and short. This allows the decapping pin to work loose and you soon will bend/break the decapping pin when it becomes off center and hits the base of the case. I finally bent the decapping stem. I bought a replacement stem and used the "nut" from my RCBS .222 dies to keep it tight. My experience and it is worth what you paid.

I deprime my rounds before clean, it's a universal die. I don't have a lot of rounds to reload, so 250 in a day is plenty for me and a coupe hours doing it is fun. I'll get more than one press later, but for now I'm satisfied loading everything single stage so I can get the load data perfect and not get ahead of myself and get hurt. Slow is smooth smooth is fast.
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I like the Redding standard FL die with the carbide floating expander ball you can buy for it. I also have a Hornady set and I use their seating die and if I am going to crimp I use the Lee Factory Crimp Die. You have to consider what you loads are used for also. Since mine are not for competition or real long distance I like my set up.

If I was shooting 600yds in competition I would want to switch to a bushing die like mentioned above. My AR is not really going to benefit from match grade ammo. I have not tried an x-die but may wind up getting one because trimming is a pain even if your set up good for it. FB
    Last edited by Firebricker; 02-09-2014 at 12:50 AM. Reason: spelling

I'll probably go for the xdie, but not the high speed Forster. A little too rich for my blood.
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I use RCBS small base dies and have had no feeding problems. When I bought my dies I was told that regular dies could cause feeding problem. Don't know if that is true or not just what I was told.

I've loaded 1000's of rds for an AR,Galil, and now my BRNO with a plain set of LEE die's.
    I can do 5 out of 5 into a dime at 100 yds with the BRNO.When I do my part.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Duckiller View Post
    I use RCBS small base dies and have had no feeding problems. When I bought my dies I was told that regular dies could cause feeding problem. Don't know if that is true or not just what I was told.
    That is an old adage that may have been somewhat correct with the 1st lever actions and semi auto's of commercial nature that had tighter chambers than military spec. Have to say in 40+ years of reloading many different cartridges for many different guns including for those that supposedly "need" small base dies I have never needed to use them; standard dies always worked.

With mil spec chambers a small base die is not needed. The use of such simply over works the case causing shorter case life and increasing the need for trimming.

That's the benefit of the standard X-Die; it increases case life by negating case stretch during sizing and no trimming is needed.

Larry Gibson