Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: Cardboard/styrofoam ammo boxes

Boolit Mold

Cardboard/styrofoam ammo boxes

Any place to purchase the white cardboard ammo boxes with the Styrofoam inserts other than MidwayUSA ?
    Retired U.S. Army
    LM-NRA, GOA, & MOAA

In Remembrance
    Dunno about the foam trays but I've gotten a bunch from here.

http://www.topbrass-inc.com/reloadin...category_id=56
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Unfortunately their S&H @ $15, like midway is prohibitive for a small order --
    I too would like to find some cheaper ammo boxes --

Boolit Bub
    I have white cardboard ammo cartons for 9mm and .45 that are die cut, flat like the USGI .45 cartons, and these do not require any kind of foam insert. Just fold them up and load them up. Let me know if you have any interest in these. One big advantage is you can pack 1,000 rounds of .45 or 1,200 rounds of 9mm in a standard 50 cal ammo can, about 25% more than you can pack using the boxes with foam trays.

Don't foget on your next range trip to check the trash cans. There probably won't be any plain white boxes, but the price is right.
    Mark
    Any way you sell it,
    No matter how you spell it,
    When you start to smell it,
    BO Stinks!

A sharp knife, some glue, and tape.
    Turn the factory boxes inside out. Glue them back together.

Quote Originally Posted by markinalpine View Post
    Don't foget on your next range trip to check the trash cans. There probably won't be any plain white boxes, but the price is right.
    Mark

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by medalguy View Post
    I have white cardboard ammo cartons for 9mm and .45 that are die cut, flat like the USGI .45 cartons, and these do not require any kind of foam insert. Just fold them up and load them up. Let me know if you have any interest in these. One big advantage is you can pack 1,000 rounds of .45 or 1,200 rounds of 9mm in a standard 50 cal ammo can, about 25% more than you can pack using the boxes with foam trays.
    These sound great. PM inbound to you.
    Mike

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    A sharp knife, some glue, and tape.
    Turn the factory boxes inside out. Glue them back together.
    Forget the tape - use hot glue to reseal the side of the box ...
    Then make a label of the bullet with the loading data and paste on top.
    Example: I reload 22LR's with the old UMC match bullet from a custom mold. So I scanned the bullet from an old Stevens catalog and made up labels with the loading data using Microsoft Word. They look neat!
    Regards
    John

Why the hate for the Midway boxes? I've been using those for years.

I just ordered some hinged top plastic 50 round ammo boxes for .38/.357 from Mid South for $1.16 each
    10 of them for $11.60
    Hard to beat that. These will last a LONG time.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waco View Post
    I just ordered some hinged top plastic 50 round ammo boxes for .38/.357 from Mid South for $1.16 each
    10 of them for $11.60
    Hard to beat that. These will last a LONG time.
    It seems to me that the plastic boxes that last forever are lots cheaper than the cardboard.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

But don't leave the plastic boxs loaded and stacked for more then 10 year's.
    I came across a 50 cal can that had a bucnh of 45/70 cast boolit's in the plastic box's and all of the bottom and some of the second row's were cracked/broke.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    waco - just curious . . . you paid 1.15 each for them . . . but what did it come out to per box when you figure in the postage? I looked at quite a few places for some for 38 spl. and at a lot of places (on line) they were cheap but no real bargain when you figured in their minimum postage for shipping. I ended up buying two lots of 10 off of eBay from a fellow who makes them - clear boxes - 50 rounds - they came out to $2.50 each when postage was figured in. They are nice and will last for a long time so I figured at 2.50 each, they were well worth it.

In regards to the ones that Midway sells - I've never seen one of them but if I remember correctly, on the reviews of them, there were some who didn't like 'em because there was a lip or something that made it difficult to remove the cartridges from the outside rows? Like I say, I've never seen theirs - would like to hear from someone that has some of them and if that is an issue or not.

Is this what you're looking for: http://www.berrysmfg.com/products-c29-50_Round.aspx

I personally prefer their 100 round boxes and buy them by the case. Shipping is free on all orders of $75.00 or more. They will replace any box that breaks.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Bub
    I have had several requests for information on the white boxes I have. They are made to hold 50 rounds of 9mm or .45 ACP, price is .30 each, and can be used many times. No Styrofoam tray required. The .45 will pack 1,000 to a .50 cal can, and the 9mm will pack 1200 if I remember correctly. These are overruns from what I had made for myself, and when these are gone I won't be making more-- this is not a business for me.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9mm carton.jpg 
Views:	615 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	87943Click image for larger version. 

Name:	38 carton & tray.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	21.7 KB 
ID:	87944I still have a handful of .38 special cartons, which are a tray and sleeve type carton. These are .35 each.

Boolit Master
    I keep a few carboard/styrofoam boxes around and use 4x6 white shipping labels to cover up what I don't want to show from the original boxes. Right now I have an unlimited supply of the labels and they give me lots of writing space. I re-use all of my 20 gauge shotgun shell boxes and use cardboard for metallic reloads that I give to family. I'm a big fan of the Franklin Arsenal load data labels and use them on most everything.