RotoMetals2RepackboxWidenersLee Precision
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: Buddy @ work scored me some free lead today.

Buddy @ work scored me some free lead today.

Christmas in October!

I work for a water dept. A buddy of mine that works on the construction crew cut this old lead joint out of a leaky pipe today and saved it for me.

It weighs 15.5 lbs!

Last lead joint he gave me smelted out like pure lead. Is this a correct assumption?

I made him up a box of .30-06 tracer ammo last time he saved me one of these. I reckon I'll have to make him up something else one of these days.

I got a bunch of that from a friend, 160lbs, and it was pretty close to pure, The jonts on them had a good amount of tin in it and when smelted i got the gold hue on the top of my pot.
    Pure will get the blues and purple colors.
    Sinse then i have learned to not smelt to hot and flux more often when i make ingots.
    Nice score

Probably the same as they used to use when jointing lead cables for phone lines - lead is pure, but the solder used to joint it would have the tin in it. When I think back on all the lead cable I used to see lying around when I worked, I could cry. If I only had more foresight.......

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dikman View Post
    Probably the same as they used to use when jointing lead cables for phone lines - lead is pure, but the solder used to joint it would have the tin in it. When I think back on all the lead cable I used to see lying around when I worked, I could cry. If I only had more foresight.......
    I used to work for Kodak Dental X-Ray. We went through pallets of lead a day! Of course that was way before I started casting.