Snyders JerkyRepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 375 Whelen vs. 35 Whelen??

I built a 375 Whelen AI (40 degree shoulder) or a between the wars 98 Mauser action. The barrel came from ER Shaw. The reamer from 4D. I forget the maker of the laminated stock, but it was needing inletting and shaping, I added a Lyman aperture sight and a brass post up front. Here's a load with a j bullet. I'm pretty proud of this rifle. I didn't get to take it to Africa like I had hoped but I hope my kids don't sell it on my estate sale. I have a 35 Whelen too but on a 700 action. I'm thinking of having a 03-A3 rebored too.

375 Whelen AI M98, 235 grain SPEER, 61 grains H335, 1.29 MOA

USMC E-5 69-72
    Paypal is an anti-2nd amendment organization

Boolit Master
    They do have a 375/06 but never compared the velocities between the two. Frank

Boolit Man
    The 35 whelen has my vote. Plenty of choices for molds, comercailly cast,or J-words. I download mine to 35 remington velocity for deer, and you can have a few full power loads for moose or SD bear protection.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NObamain2012 View Post
    The 35 whelen has my vote. Plenty of choices for molds, comercailly cast,or J-words. I download mine to 35 remington velocity for deer, and you can have a few full power loads for moose or SD bear protection.
    I've had all of them, from the .338-06 to the .411 Hawk. The .35 Whelen will do anything the others will.

I have a high number '03 that was customized and rebored by JES to .35 Whelen. Plenty of steel left in the barrel, headspace is "spot on", and accuracy is excellent. Jess does excellent work, while providing a fast "turn-around". I specified a 1:14 twist to handle the heaviest bullets I would employ, while ensuring it was useable for the lighter .357 cast loads. I considered the .375 and .400 Whelen calibers; however, having dabbled with a .375 H&H using cast loads I knew there were fewer bullets available for that option, much less for the .400. When I researched "forming" brass and utilizing more limited components I decided the .35 Whelen capable for any type of hunting I would do on this continent. I have two other .35 Whelens and consider the .35 to be the "Magnum" of the 30/06 line of cartridges. The cartridge has plenty of headspace in its standard guise, gaining little powder capacity by employing a 40 degree shoulder; it is easy to form from '06 brass with one pass of a sizing die; and compares favorably in power to the .338 Magnum using cheaper brass. (The standard .35 Whelen also feeds easier than the AI version in box magazine firearms IMHO.) I am of the opinion that going up in caliber beyond .358 decreases the versatility and flatter trajectory of the '06 cartridge by employing heavier less ballistically efficient bullets at slower velocities. My .02

Thanks for resurrecting my old thread about the 35 Whelen vs 375-06. Just update y’all, I’ve yet to take any action on reboring my old M77 but I’m still shooting deer with it. Dropped my biggest buck ever a couple weeks ago. It’s not a monster whitetail, probably only 150-170 lbs on the hoof with an eight point rack. But I’m a meat hunter so antlers don’t matter too much.

Boolit Buddy
    I split the difference with a 35 Whelen A.I. The 40° shoulder keeps me from having to trim brass, even with some pretty strong loads. The .35 caliber has so many bullet choices, from 110 gr to 310 gr in lead, coated, plated or jacketed. All the choices make for fun reloading projects, but for serious hunting I use the 250 Partition at 2600 fps for everything. Trajectory is almost identical to a 30-06 180 gr, but more punch and a bigger hole.

My rifle was built by David Gentry from Montana, and has a match grade stainless 24" barrel, 1 in 14" twist.

Boolit Master
    Too many 35 Whelens to make this a fun project.
    RE moulds; how many do you need? I monkey around, settle on a proper load for its' intended purpose, and the rest gather dust in my "Bullet Factory" shelf.

My reason for the 40-degree 375 is finding a never been chambered Boots Obermeyer barrel, with rib express sight base milled in and an integral rib front.

If I get back to Africa again I have a 500 NE 3" double rifle for the heavy lifting.

regards,

Rich

Moderator Emeritus

I currently have 14 guns or barrels that are chambered for bullet diameters between 0.355" and 0.359". Anytime I can find a dual use for molds I do. It also helps when trying to decide if I will ever shoot 1000 gas checks in a new caliber bolt gun.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    I currently have 14 guns or barrels that are chambered for bullet diameters between 0.355" and 0.359". Anytime I can find a dual use for molds I do. It also helps when trying to decide if I will ever shoot 1000 gas checks in a new caliber bolt gun.
    Well… I’ve only got two in the .355-.358 column. Got three in the 30’s, two in the .43-.44, two in .50 and one in .40 but I hope to add others eventually

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12