RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Load DataInline FabricationTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do I paper patch a .452 bullet up to a .458 bore?

Boolit Bub

I love those 1881 patent actions

The military one is quite rare. Mine is a standard sporting rifle. I'm sure a lyman or MVA ladder tang sight would improve my accuracy, but I just cant stand to ruin the rifles lines with it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20131031_101841.jpg  
    Last edited by 1886nut; 11-03-2013 at 09:23 PM.

Your 1881 Westley is a beaut for sure.
    I have one which was rebarreled to .30US (30-40Krag)
    I have loaded black in my W.R. 1869 (500/450 No.1 Express)and found that it shoots .458" 350gr Jwords (Hawk and Berry's copper plated) and heavier GG and paper patched bullets quite well regardless of weight.
    I think I am going 85grs of 1-1/2F Olde Eynsford. Will have to look it up.

Also, looks like you are crimping - is that right? The picture on the bench looks like some of your bullets may be seated deeper than others too.
    I kinda get the feeling that crimping on a paper patched bullet is just asking to strip the paper. Not sure if that is so or not but seems plausible.
    No need to crimp for a single shot anyway to my mind.

Boolit Bub

Not really a crimp

just barely "swaged' the mouth of the case with the entrance to a .45 ACP sizing die in order to grip the .460 patched boolits snug with a faint chamfer on the inside edge of the case mouth. Funny but a .459/.460 boolit fits easily into the mouth of fired cases. Not loose, but not tight enough to prevent getting knocked down into the case should I drop them. I slugged the bore and bullets measured .457/.458, only thing I can figure is that the bore is slightly tapered and I'm supposed to patch up another .001 to .461 maybe?

The 300 gr .459 unpatched lead boolits have a crimp groove and were given a slight taper crimp to match. The original 500/450 was a proprietary WR round and did indeed use a paper patched boolit according to some photos of old ammo:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=372334882

Is it my imagination, or is that some kind of primer in the nose of that boolit......exploding round for dangerous game?
    Last edited by 1886nut; 11-04-2013 at 10:59 PM.

The tip is more or less a brass/copper nail in order to control expansion and give a little deeper penetration. I think that was something of an Eley specialty.

No that's a cup shaped copper tube. I think they wanted a protected HP.
    If Obummer is the answer, How stupid was the question?

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. -----Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by AkMike View Post
    No that's a cup shaped copper tube. I think they wanted a protected HP.
    I would like to see one sectioned or maybe I can find a period advertisement.
    I have some original Eley 450/400 2-3/8" ammo with the tip but it is a smaller diameter than the one linked above and I think it is solid. Maybe I will sacrifice one to find out for sure.

AkMike, now that I revisit a couple of Winfer's books, I do believe you are right!
    The Kynoch examples of the bigger bullets - .500 & .577 do show the closed tube bullets.
    May be a fun project to make some with reformed .22 short brass! Would be just about the right size for .577 slugs.
    I have seen plenty of period hollow point molds for rifles from this era but wonder if they were intended to press in the little copper tubes as well or was that purely a "factory" supplied feature?

Pulled one apart today and started another thread on it. You, of course, are correct.
    Last edited by Huvius; 11-05-2013 at 09:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1886nut View Post
    The original 500/450 was a proprietary WR round and did indeed use a paper patched boolit according to some photos of old ammo
    Here is a picture of mine loaded with a 475gr .460" GG boolit next to an original W.R. shell.
    I do use 85grs of 1-1/2F O.E. in this one.
    I don't have a picture of my PP load or boolit but this boolit would probably work well patched ifd sized down some.

And the boolit.

Last edited by Huvius; 11-06-2013 at 11:25 AM.

Boolit Bub
    Nice....what powder is that again?

GOEX Olde Eynsford 1-1/2F
    I have switched over to the OE over the substitutes I had been using. Nice stuff.

Well, I'm thinking that the question really was how do you patch a .452" bullet up to .458" groove... right? First thing I'd try is molding with a soft mix, patching with a double wrap of tried and true 9# and slap it hard on the behind to get it screaming down range.
    That's pretty much what I'm doing with the RCBS 255 SWC in a .458" bore diameter muzzle loader.

Neither of my 577 molds have this hollow point cavity and they are going to stay this way too!
    I have some 577/500 3 1/8"Mags. with this hollow tube and took one apart just as you did several years ago.
    If Obummer is the answer, How stupid was the question?

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. -----Ronald Reagan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12