Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad DataLee Precision
RepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Who all's first gun was a single shot?

Boolit Bub
    10 years old. 22 Steve Favarits. Please excuse sp. It was accurate. Dad paid $10 dollars.
    I gave it to oldest grandchild at the age of 10. Next grandchild gets a 45-70 Roller. Third
    grandchild will get a 45 Colt CBC Marilin, but they will have to grow up some. Fred

Here if I aint gone,, Were there's a gator in the bushes & SHE"S callin my name
    20ga single shot "Stevens",, At 11 YOA ; )
    H/D

Boolit Grand Master

I have purchased a 22 stevens Favorite made in the 40s that a very clean little rifle. Hes almost 2 years old now. I picked up a clean marlin single shot for the sons step son ut they divorced so it will go to the next. When grandson is old enough to help with it we will build the Stevens into a mini sharps with globe and tang sights. The marlin was going to become a miniture High power target rifle of sorts. Im looking forward to passing both my trade and shooting on to them.

Stevens 20ga. I was around 9 yrold , a lot of critters killed with gun. Killed my first deer with it . I still have it and its still a squirrel killing machine .
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Yep 10 years old. Single shot 12 gauge Iver Johnson. Kicked like a dam mule.

BW

Boolit Master

Mine was a generic break-open 12-gauge, thirty inch full choked barrel. Got it when I was fourteen and we moved to the bayou to be caretakers for my great-grandmother. My younger brother got a .410 'Topper' at the same time.

When we'd get in from school every day in the fall and winter, Dad would issue us each three shells and cut us loose in a thousand acres of pasture and marsh. Many's the day that those shells provided food for the table.

I started handloading with a Lee Loader to get around that 'three rounds' thing.

dale in Louisiana

Boolit Buddy
    My favorite great uncle gave me a Remington No. 2 rolling block when I was about 12 years old. 32 rim fire with a ruind bore. Thing about it is it was so long ago you could go into old hardware stores and might find some cartridges. When we traveled between our new home in Tennessee and the one we left in North Carolina I would get my parents to stop at likely looking places in the small towns to ask about ammo. Sometimes they had only a partial box as people would buy individual rounds probably used to kill thier hogs. If I shot at a board about 20 feet away the bullet would print sideways.
    Calaloo

Boolit Master

First gun

Attachment 84184Remington 514 . Grandparents got it with Green Stamps... I was 12 Now 57 still use it on woodchucks.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Winchester Model 37 in 16ga. at 8 yrs old.
    Still got it.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master

First guns were all single shot:
    Remington 510 .22 for groundhogs and an Iver Johnson 12ga for rabbit. I remember lusting for a SBS shotgun to increase my firepower by 100%. First rifle I ever bought was a single shot: a TC muzzleloader.
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell

Boolit Grand Master

First shotgun: Stevens 12g. Kicked like He!!. (age 14) Killed first pheasant with it!
    Frist rifled: Win bolt action (Age 9) Killed my first tree rat with it, and Lord only knows how many chucks over the years.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Buddy
    I have the Remington Model 6 I first shot when I was about 5, and I'm 68 now. My grandfather had it. It had been his youngest half-brother's. Joel died in WWI, not of enemy fire, but of influenza. Grandpa kept the rifle. My dad never shot it, but my uncle thought it might be fun for my cousin and me to start learning with. It's missing the folding tang sight and the takedown screw was lost and replaced with a hardware store bolt. I now shoot this rifle with my grandson, and someday it will be his. I really need to replace those missing parts and make it proper.

My first centerfire was a Baikal 12g, while my first centerfire rifle was a Baikal .270.

I still love my singleshots which I still have, a Winchester 67 Boys Rifle and an Omark 7.62x51 target rifle.
    There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences.
    – P. J. O’Rourke

Boolit Master
    I started with a hand me down Remington M33 'Depression era special' .22 bolt action. The worst part about it when I was young was that the striker had to be cocked manually by pulling back on a knob at the rear of the bolt and when I was small it was hard to cock and to release by holding the knob while pulling the trigger and then slowly lowering knob. As I got older I learned to hook my thumb over the knob while pulling trigger with trigger finger so it only took one hand. Still have the gun.

Boolit Master

I started out on my dads Remington model 12(I think) pump 22 and from there I raked and scraped until I had enough save to buy me a Steven's single shot 22 and single shot 16 gauge shot gun.I think they came to the total of $17.00 and change.I kept until I went into the Army 1960.A lot of good memories.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    My first gun was a 1915 Model Stevens "Favorite" - in 22 rimfire. It had originally been purchased by my grandfather when it was new to shoot varmints around he and his brother's lumberyard. It went through two lumberyard fires by the time I got it. The butt stock was scorched and I made a new one out of walnut for it after I got it shooting. It wouldn't fire on every shot as the firing pin was worn. I made a new one for it out of a nail that I turned in the drill press and shaped with a file. I still have it and it's on my list to find an original butt stock for it one of these days. It shot well enough to take squirrels.

Boolit Bub
    My first gun that was all mine was a T/C Contender Super 14" in 41mag. I was one prowd 13 year old. My shooting mentor brought his S&W M58 41 mag to the range one day and that's all it took. A very short time after I got a Marlin M60 and still have them both

Boolit Master
    My first gun (rifle) was a single shot Ranger 22. My first shot gun was a Winchester 12 guage single shot. That was back in the mid 1950s. Wish I still had both of them. They accounted for a lot of Squirls and rabbits and even a few Pheasants.

Boolit Buddy

20 gauge stevens full choke. Man that thing was a dove killer. Wish i still had it.

David

Boolit Master
    My first real gun was a Marlin 15Y single shot .22
    I got it for my 7th birthday. Still have it, but it aint sen the light of day in years. I don't care anything for it but my wife loves it because it was a part on my childhood. Women and their silly attachments.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast