WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HM2 360-235-1 ( 35 Thor )

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge

HM2 360-235-1 ( 35 Thor )

As I have not had a chance to rechamber from 357 mag to 357 Max in the 14 Contender, that is what I am going to try.

Just for grins, this is what Accurate Arms recommends for a lead 230gr boolit in the 357 magnum, in a revolver:

Powder: Accurate –no 9. (1st Choice)
    Bullet weight: 230 grains. COL:
    Start load: 8.5 grains (925 – 975 Ft/p/sec)
    Maximum load: 9.5 grains (1025 – 1075 Ft/p/sec).

Powder: Accurate –no 7.
    Bullet weight: 230 grains.
    Start load: 7.5 grains (925 – 975 Ft/p/sec)
    Maximum load: 8.5 grains (1025 – 1075 Ft/p/sec).

Now, to go look over my Contender load manual again,,,,
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master
    WOW, you actually found a load for .357 mag and a 230gr slug?
    "In GOD We Trust"

Boolit Master

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Got my best results casting with this mould by pressure casting with a Lee Pro 4-20. At the drive bands across the parting line 10 random bullets averaged 0.3616 at 90* 0.3612. At the nose on the parting line 0.3537 at 90* 0.3533.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	35 thor.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	84069

So far so good. Now I just have to dig out my 35 Whelen AI and work up a load.
    Last edited by robroy; 10-12-2013 at 02:58 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	360-235 Thor Money Shot.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	84245
    Good first run for a new mould! After getting the sprue plate adjusted and determining the temp that worked with my alloy things went very fast. Took about 90 boolits (less culls) to get the cadence and temp down but I'm a slow learner. Turned the pot up to 750 (thanks, Ted!) and the next 90 boolits went very fast.
    These are the purty ones, most were frosty, just the way I like them.
    Last edited by TXGunNut; 10-13-2013 at 06:56 PM.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Good Job I think you have a good TEXAS Wabbit BOOLIT there.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JesterGrin_1 View Post
    Good Job I think you have a good TEXAS Wabbit BOOLIT there.
    Thanks.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Hey some of them Texas Jack Rabbits are darn Tough critters. Years ago in Amarillo I hit one in the head from about 15 yards with a wrist rocket and a 50 cal Lead Round ball. The head moved looked back at me and Ran Off. WTH lol. I felt like I should run the other way lol.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Grand Master

He was trying to lead you down into a canyon so he could open up a can of CQB hind-leg whoopazz on you! They may look all cute & furry with them big floppy ears and all but they can kick! And have you seen their teeth? .....Reckon 230gr is a big enough boolit?

Not sure you may have to bring a .44 Mag with some 3OOGr BOOLITS for Back Up lol.

And yep I went to the show at the Palo Duro Canyon. It was a good show. Amarillo is a nice town if you do not mind the wind and a little TEXAS F5 Tornado now and then lol. I was there in 93 and got to see an F5 close up and personal and do not wish to do so again lol.

Boolit Master
    What boolit weights are you guys getting?
    "In GOD We Trust"

Boolit Grand Master

Using WW's and a touch of tin I'm averaging about 230.4 with an extreme spread of a little over a grain.

Boolit Master
    Mine are more around 236gr but that's basically with a 50/50 pure lead mix and checked.
    "In GOD We Trust"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JesterGrin_1 View Post
    Not sure you may have to bring a .44 Mag with some 3OOGr BOOLITS for Back Up lol.
    I try to make do with a 45 Colt RBH, it likes heavy boolits too.

Is anyone using these in a 35 Rem? I thought I saw something to that effect but my gray matter leaked into my beard and I can't remember.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robroy View Post
    Is anyone using these in a 35 Rem? I thought I saw something to that effect but my gray matter leaked into my beard and I can't remember.
    I'm using it my 35 cal 336 Marlin. It's slow but it shoots quite well.
    "In GOD We Trust"

I can deal with slow. I can find 220 grain loads to start with. Have you found any for 230 grain?

I can deal with slow. I can find 220 grain loads to start with. Have you found any for 230 grain?
    The Ten extra Gr of weight will not really matter with Cast Boolits. Start at the 220Gr starting load and work up from there.

But I would probably start a new thread as to what would be a good powder to use to start with. Because even if you start at the bottom of the recommended charge weight it still might be too fast. So I would choose a powder that will enable you to use less powder than what a book says to achieve the best results.

Sorry I wish I could give you more information on the 35 Remington but I have not loaded for one. In my 358 Winchester I found IMR-3031 to work well even at reduced powder charges. I received that good information here on the forum as if you could not guess lol.

Boolit Master
    I didn't find any 230gr loads. I just backed off the dose a bit. I stopped at 35.0gr of IMR 3031, no pressure signs and the accuracy was acceptable. Yielded 2050 fps IIRC.
    "In GOD We Trust"

Boolit Master

So far I'm liking 14.0 of 2400 and 15.1 of W296 in .357magnum in the Contender.

(Be aware that this is 357Maximum Contender territory, NOT suitable in a revolver.)
    Last edited by Hamish; 12-03-2013 at 11:48 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast