RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
WidenersReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IMR 4198 vs H4198? What's the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Wardo1974 View Post
    I know it's different, I'm asking in what way. How would I use load data for IMR vs H?
    Start with the starting load, and work up slowly. Just like you would with any other powder. There is no magic in this game, but a lot of painstaking work. The LAST THING you want to do is take somebody else's load that may work in their rifle and blindly try it in yours. Every gun is different, work your loads up slowly. Then if prssures start to rise you can stop, and not ruin a fine old rifle, and maybe yourself. Brodie

Boolit Master
    A call to Hodgdon and I was told that they are the same and interchangeable. That was about six months ago and I needed to know since I have two pounds of each on hand and I load a lot for the 45-70. Trying some of each, I see no difference in groups or POI. If in doubt, call the manufacturer/owner.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    A call to Hodgdon and I was told that they are the same and interchangeable. That was about six months ago and I needed to know since I have two pounds of each on hand and I load a lot for the 45-70. Trying some of each, I see no difference in groups or POI. If in doubt, call the manufacturer/owner.
    That probably wasn't true in 2013 when this post was started. Since then the two have become much more similar if not identical. Going to depend a lot on the vintage of the powder on hand. I think IMR 4198 has changed a bit in recent years. This is such an old post I suspect the original poster figured his question out and the answers from when the post started aren't valid today.

Boolit Master
    Originally IMR4198 was faster that H4198. Hodgdon's is now the source of both '4198' powders. They are using the name IMR4198 even though all modern manufacture powder is actually make to the formulation of the older H4198. That is so that anyone using old IMR4198 data will not get unanticipatedly higher pressures.

Boolit Master
    For my model 7 in 223 which is a bolt. IMR 4198 is its preference.

Although in close proximity? (on burn charts)_ The difference between is minimal. So if not having one powder the other can be substituted without worry.
    Last edited by OverMax; 02-06-2019 at 12:54 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMax View Post
    For my model 7 in 223 which is a bolt. IMR 4198 is its preference.

Although in close proximity? (on burn charts)_ IMR as far as I know is the faster burning of the two. So they are not the same. (powder)
    I'd trust Hodgdon on this one. They said they're the same, so I'm going with them.

Boolit Master
    Funny...

Original topic & posts from back in Oct., 2013, sits for a year.... is commented on by someone in Oct 2014 like it was just yesterday from the 2013 posts, then it is now posted in 2019, just like it was yesterday & it generates more 2019 comments & the topic is still in the Smokeless Paper Patch subforum, rather than in CB Loads subforum.

And in all those 6 years, no one has taken the time to call or email Hodgdon to find the answer from the folks who supply the powders & publish the data....

So, folks just dicker back & forth about it.

Go figure....

For those who REALLY want to know the answers to the OP question(s), and get the most up to date info on the 2 powders, here is the contact webpage for Hodgdon & not only do they allow you to contact them by email on that page itself,

https://www.hodgdon.com/company/contact-us/

the webpage also lists the following info so you can visit them in person, write them a letter, call them, or even send them a fax...:

Address:
    6430 Vista Drive
    Shawnee, KS 66218

Phone:
    (913) 362-9455

Fax:
    (913) 362-1307

After 6 or so years & no one has actually gone to find out the real answer, I hope that those who REALLY want to know , take the time to try going to the PRODUCT SOURCE, when there is a question about a product(s), and then.... Post up your questions & what ya found out for all of us here to know. Instead of having folks just make guesses about the differences between the two powders, IF there is much of any.

BTW, the member who originally posted the topic, Wardo1974 has not been on CB forum using that membername since June 3, 2018. I would venture to guess that he/she has figured out by now the answers to his/her question(s).

At least I hope so...

Posted here just to try to be a bit helpful , as well as yank the chain/ a bit to those who missed the OP original post date & still make comments to it.

Yep... Funny.

ETA: P.S. - I have also done it myself, which makes it just as funny when others do it too.
    LOL
    Last edited by JBinMN; 02-06-2019 at 03:33 PM.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    Check their published manuals and published data sheets.

The phone people are not necessarily authoritative. I have gotten some wrong info from those guys.

And because of the liability involved - powder manufacturers don't just change the formulation of cannister grade powder to one that is significantly different - they would probably discontinue it.

Trust the info in current reloading manuals.

Boolit Mold
    There are burn rate charts available online that lists most all manufactures and available powders from fastest to slowest. H4198 is just a hair faster burning than the IMR equivalent, but probably not enough to be noticeable. I would be concerned with increased pressures because powders with similar burn rates can have big differences in pressures. New gun probably wouldn't matter, but older one definitely.

Boolit Master
    This is an old thread but I'm sure it gets visited a lot. I have 8lbs of H4198 for my jacket load data, now that I'm going cast my Lyman book calls for IMR4198. To purchase that powder at this time would cost me over $200 shipped so there's reason to try and swap even if it's one way.

Hodgdon has this data on their site for 762x39 150gr jacketed bullet

IMR IMR 4198 .311" 2.220" 21.2 1,917 42,200 CUP 22.5 2,070 43,600 CUP
    Hodgdon H4198 .312" 2.220" 22.5 1,947 33,600 CUP 24.5 2,122 39,800 CUP

Assuming they are similar, and not the same, it looks like it's safe to use IMR data with H powder, but going the other way could be a small risk.

I would suggest that usage wise they would pretty much be interchangeable, keeping to the load data of course. H4198 is an extreme powder and for that reason I would choose it. In fact I have - I recently bought some. Well, it's also more readily available to me. Interesting that the H version produces higher velocity for lower pressure. For cast, I would choose the lower pressure option. I bought mine for use with cast.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Buddy
    Let's get something straight here . The powder co's can't start changing the burn rate on powders and still call it what it was certified for . They are highly controlled to only allow a 4% variation from the original batch that was certified . If they change it , then they have to change the name , get it certified etc . I had a discussion with an official @ Alliant about this very subject several yrs ago and those are the facts he told me . I figure that's straight from the horses mouth . Regards Paul

Yeah, I use the same charge weight with both powders in my 45-70 and AK. Same exact POI. I was noticing a difference in POI with lighter loads in the 45-70, but I wasn't doing too much testing.

Boolit Master
    And then factor in the Tubal line of French powders, in this case Tubal 2000, which is very, very close to the original 4198 Hodgdon imported; if not identical save for lot numbers. Happiness, in my case, is walking out to my reloading room and gazing upon a nearly full 20Kg keg. Good stuff for almost everything I shoot from 30-40 Krag to my .45-100 (2.6") Sharps M1874 rifles.

Rich

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    I'd trust Hodgdon on this one. They said they're the same, so I'm going with them.
    I called Hodgdon this morning and they are NOT the same.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by BAGTIC View Post
    Originally IMR4198 was faster that H4198. Hodgdon's is now the source of both '4198' powders. They are using the name IMR4198 even though all modern manufacture powder is actually make to the formulation of the older H4198. That is so that anyone using old IMR4198 data will not get unanticipatedly higher pressures.
    This is totally wrong. I called Hodgdon this morning and h4198 and IMR4198 are 2 different powders. They are not interchangeable.

Quote Originally Posted by bronko22000 View Post
    This is totally wrong. I called Hodgdon this morning and h4198 and IMR4198 are 2 different powders. They are not interchangeable.
    You should have asked them if they will bring back H4198 to the market within the next decade.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Boolit Master
    We got plenty of H4198 over here!
    Adi 2207
    Will willingly swap you for some fast or medium pistol powders.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12