Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackboxReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 35 Whelen Progress Report

Think i judged the 33 grain load too quick. Just got thru resizing the brass i shot today and i had 2 cracked heads.
    Only fired 5 times with proven handloads i get up to 20 firings on with rem. brass. This was some hornady brass a friend gave me after he fired the factory rounds. When i resized them the first time they had stretched 15 thousands from his rifle so i figured he had a head space problem but didn't know it had weakened the brass that much. I junked all of it and darn glad i didn't load anything hot today. Hate to turn down free brass but don't want anymore fired from that rifle.

I think that THOR is gonna shoot so good for you you'll load em single shot if you have too. But i'm bettin you get the feed figured out. I'll try to run some of em thru the encore this week or weekend. Actually i thought about framing em or something, they're too pretty to shoot!

BTW the only place i've seen the RCBS 250 mould was at Midway. They consider it a speacialty so it's a bit higher priced.
    Last edited by 35 shooter; 10-28-2013 at 12:46 AM.

Look Here http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...&highlight=358

For the BRP 363-220 GC And he has a BRP 361-275 GC.

Some information here. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hlight=360-220
    Last edited by JesterGrin_1; 10-28-2013 at 02:42 AM.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post

Maybe so, but I have it on good authority it makes a good 35 Rem boolit! Let me know how it works for you. Thanks for the tip on the RCBS 250 grainer. I'm still not mad enough at my shoulder to try the 358-009 but the Thor boolit is not unpleasant at 2100-2200 fps in this rifle. The 358-009 @ 2000 or less shouldn't be all that bad. Mebbe I need to start a GB discussion thread about a NOE copy of that RCBS 250 gr boolit. Lots of 35 Whelen shooters around here and most of us don't need to shoot thru moose or big bears, even fewer headed to Africa after the big plains game.
    I'd like to see one of those Thor's after its been shot through a big feral pig.

Boolit Master
    I have always admired the Whelen. I have a .350 Remington mag in a 700 Classic. It is a great gun but with the short action it is only good for 200 or 220 grain bullets.The long action of the Whelen would be better suited for the heavier bullets.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JesterGrin_1 View Post
    Look Here http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...&highlight=358

For the BRP 363-220 GC And he has a BRP 361-275 GC.

Some information here. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hlight=360-220
    What do you like about these boolits? Base looks rather odd on the 275 gr boolit, clue me in on what that's about?
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Clay M View Post
    I have always admired the Whelen. I have a .350 Remington mag in a 700 Classic. It is a great gun but with the short action it is only good for 200 or 220 grain bullets.The long action of the Whelen would be better suited for the heavier bullets.

I guess the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, Clay. I think the ultimate 35 cal bolt action/box mag levergun cartridge just may be the .358 Winchester and from what I can see the 350 Rem Mag should be able to do anything the Winchester cartridge can do. I do like the heavy boolit capability of the 35 Whelen.
    Is brass availability an issue with the Rem Mag?
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

BTW the only place i've seen the RCBS 250 mould was at Midway. They consider it a speacialty so it's a bit higher priced. -35 shooter

I studied on that awhile, I like the NOE version of the RCBS boolit much better in the 200 gr, think he could improve on the 250 as well.
    BTW, you make a fine boolit, Pilgrim! Just got thru GC'ing and applying a second coat of lube. Loading up a few tomorrow, can't wait to see how they feed. Will probably have one coming from NOE pretty quick but JesterGrin 1 has pretty much derailed that train of thought. I only have one extra set of mould handles, somehow thought they'd go unused for awhile.

What do you like about these boolits? Base looks rather odd on the 275 gr boolit, clue me in on what that's about?
    I have not used the 275Gr. But I do have the BRP 360-220 GC which is now called the BRP 363-220 GC In the above referenced thread by SwedeNelson. And also talked about in the other thread I linked to.

You could give BaBore http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?402-BABore a shout here on the forum and ask him about the 275Gr and I am sure he will be glad to give you more information on the design.

I use the BRP 360-220 GC in my .358 Winchester.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Master
    I guess the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, Clay. I think the ultimate 35 cal bolt action/box mag levergun cartridge just may be the .358 Winchester and from what I can see the 350 Rem Mag should be able to do anything the Winchester cartridge can do. I do like the heavy boolit capability of the 35 Whelen.
    Is brass availability an issue with the Rem Mag?
    Nosler currently makes the brass, but it is expensive. I saw the problem coming years ago and bought about 200 pieces of Rem brass.

.375 H&H is always out there.

Or others with the basic belted base. I had .350 Rem Mag for my rifle, so never made any, but where there's a will...(there will be relatives------sorry, another point altogether).

Boolit Grand Master

I think I need to shelve this project for awhile, can't figure out why the last round from the right won't feed. NOE/RCBS 35-200 seemed to feed a bit better from the left side. Not convinced it's the boolit but I'm done messing with loaded rounds tonight, don't feel like building a dummy right now either. Kicking around a 358-009 but I'm pretty sure that long nose will cause the same issue as a wide meplat.
    Think I'll push this project to the back burner until after deer season. Need to cast a supply of boolits for my 35 Rem and the 45-70 is ready to go hunting. I know what it takes to make them work! 30-30 just needs sighting in and there are a couple of pretty outstanding 30-06 (j-word shootin' ) rifles around here as well. Have a half-finished casting shed that needs three more walls and a roof, time to focus on something else for awhile.

I think I need to shelve this project for awhile, can't figure out why the last round from the right won't feed. NOE/RCBS 35-200 seemed to feed a bit better from the left side. Not convinced it's the boolit but I'm done messing with loaded rounds tonight, don't feel like building a dummy right now either. Kicking around a 358-009 but I'm pretty sure that long nose will cause the same issue as a wide meplat.
    Think I'll push this project to the back burner until after deer season. Need to cast a supply of boolits for my 35 Rem and the 45-70 is ready to go hunting. I know what it takes to make them work! 30-30 just needs sighting in and there are a couple of pretty outstanding 30-06 (j-word shootin' ) rifles around here as well. Have a half-finished casting shed that needs three more walls and a roof, time to focus on something else for awhile.
    There's always something isn't there???

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by taco650 View Post
    There's always something isn't there???
    Yes, indeed. Been a long day, I know I'm missing something but I've learned to walk away at times like this.

TXGuNut got the THOR's ht'd tonight. I'll try to give em a go sometime this week along with the NOE's.
    That JesterGrin 1 is something isn't he? (Mold up some THORS and make it thunder)... I'm still laughing about that one.

Who? Me? Ok what did I do wrong now lol.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I've not followed the whole thread, but here is two cents worth. I found it beneficial to relieve the right side of the barrel end, going into the chamber. Be sure not to cut down below the cartridge web support area. Polish, and then make sure you operate the rifle in a smart fashion, as a bolt action is intended to be. Trying to sneak them into the chamber will cause feed problems.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Yes, indeed. Been a long day, I know I'm missing something but I've learned to walk away at times like this.
    Good choice. It will be there when you get back to it. Blowing a gasket over something like this isn't worth it.

waksupi has some good advice too.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I've not followed the whole thread, but here is two cents worth. I found it beneficial to relieve the right side of the barrel end, going into the chamber. Be sure not to cut down below the cartridge web support area. Polish, and then make sure you operate the rifle in a smart fashion, as a bolt action is intended to be. Trying to sneak them into the chamber will cause feed problems.
    At first I thought the breech end of the bbl was the issue but after watching carefully I don't think the boolit is getting that far. I only have issues when I DO operate the bolt "smartly" as we like to say. I'm thinking the mag spring was something to do with it, have two new ones sitting on the bench tonight. I'll polish the follower and the rail while I'm at it, may even load up some dummy 30-06 spire point j-words for a control.
    Had to meet my Australian clients a couple of towns away tonight, may take another swing at it tomorrow.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by taco650 View Post
    Good choice. It will be there when you get back to it. Blowing a gasket over something like this isn't worth it.

waksupi has some good advice too.
    Wasn't going to blow a gasket, thanks. Had a choice between wine with dinner or working on a rifle with live ammo. Doing both simply isn't an option. I love playing with guns, I love to drink. Never both at once. Kinda like a jealous wife and a girlfriend, best they never meet.

What is life without a little excitement lol.

I wish I could say this the way I should say this but due to forum policy I can not do so. There fore I will mellow it down a bit lol.

As my Grand Father once said. When you mess with Doo Doo you inevitably will get some on you lol.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast