Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: 35 Whelen Progress Report

Here's my latest distraction from a .35. .316 diameter, 224 gr cast from water quenched ranges scrap. It's for my 303 British, maybe 30-06 if I can size it down enough.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0071.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	87736 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0075.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	87737

Sorry for the highjack!

Boolit Grand Master

Don't apologize, tell us about that mold!
    I guess the 35 Whelen is going hunting. Had some good, solid 2" groups today and that's about all I was capable of today so that load will have to do. It's the RD 359-190 over 48 grs IMR4895. I think it needs a bit more tweaking but it was too hot to get Ol' Ugly cooled down.
    35 Rem won't shoot with the old scope either. Two scopes shifting POI over a foot @ 100 yds just doesn't make sense. Mounts are solid, but yes, I'm going to check them again. I have a couple more takeoff scopes but I've never shot either. Guess they can't be any worse than what I've been using.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

taco650 that boolit looks it would go end thru end on a freight train!

TXGuNut just curious if you tried the 200 gr. NOE's

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    Don't apologize, tell us about that mold!
    It's a brass single cavity made by machinist I met on this forum. He had originally made it into something else which didn't work out so he reworked it to what you see in my pics. He sold it to me because he really wasn't that happy with end product (he's picky about those things LOL). Compared to "factory made" molds it's... basic-no vent grooves, sprue is just a steel plate cut and drilled to fit. It will work fine for my old SMLE once I get a sizer and gas checks. I think it will penetrate like crazy. Haven't loaded any rounds yet so don't really know if it will feed from the magazine either.

Any suggestions on a load? I'm not into recoil like I used to be and that's why I prefer shooting the 303 over my 30-06. The only thing is brass is hard to find for the 303 and the headspace is off a bit on my rifle so it stretches more than it should. I only neck size. I'm thinking of going with a fast rifle powder instead of Unique. Thoughts???

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 35 shooter View Post
    taco650 that boolit looks it would go end thru end on a freight train!

TXGuNut just curious if you tried the 200 gr. NOE's
    Just preliminary, tried them as is in the Whelen. They feed a little better than the RD. I didn't check the hardness, are they WW or 50/50?
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by taco650 View Post

Any suggestions on a load? I'm not into recoil like I used to be and that's why I prefer shooting the 303 over my 30-06. The only thing is brass is hard to find for the 303 and the headspace is off a bit on my rifle so it stretches more than it should. I only neck size. I'm thinking of going with a fast rifle powder instead of Unique. Thoughts???
    Got any 2400?

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    Got any 2400?
    Unfortunately not. All I have on hand now is Unique, 296, IMR4320, RL22 and some Goex 3f black. My powder supply is quite low actually and the nearest GS to get more is 45 miles away and the last couple times I've been in they had nothing but bare shelves

I'd really like to get my hands on some AA5744 or that stuff cowboy shooters use.

use Unique
    I'm just the welder, go ask him>

TXGuNut those NOE's were straight ww. Got plenty on hand if you come up with a load for em. Again i hate to here about the feed problems you've had. I know that's been aggravating to say the least. Guess that's an advantage i have with "old contrary", she's a single shot. She'll feed anything....sloooowly!

Its like PP slide one in easy and it shoots. Run it through the mag and cycle through the action maybe.

SO, Pick what you want to shoot first and put it there. Fill the mag with rcbs 200's. Usually I hunt single shots so don't find this a problem.
    I'm just the welder, go ask him>

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789